Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What is your minimum standard of manners when traveling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2013, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold

We like to rant about "dragons" and the generally poor service received from UA employees in this forum - how it doesn't meet a "minimum standard", especially in premium cabins. I'm curious what everyone considers to be the "minimum standard" in the opposite direction - i.e. we as passengers, and how we act toward flight attendants, gate agents, lounge staff, other passengers, etc.

Reason I ask is because I observed 2 negative examples this past week from UA passengers (premium cabin passengers in both cases): one was people cutting in line during boarding, one was the surprising lack of "pleases and thank yous" from my seatmate during beverage service and meal service in domestic first. If you'd like to know more, you can read about them here: http://first2board.com/foodwineandmi...rind-my-gears/

I thought maybe my expectations were too high, but most people I've talked to seem to be of a similar mindset. I'm curious to hear how you typically carry yourself when traveling.

I'll go first, but bare in mind I'm Canadian and so probably go a bit too far in some respects : I admit that I'm likely a bit over the top with my pleases and especially my thank yous - I probably say "thank you" just about every time a FA brings me something or takes something away. I also feel a strange guilt with cutting lines, even when it's "allowed" (e.g. arrive late and use the empty Group 1 line). I'll do it if the other line is long (this applies to hotel check in as well), but if it's short, I usually just join that line rather than flex my "right" to jump past it.

How do you carry yourself when traveling, and what do you consider to be the bare minimum standard all people should adhere to?
Old Oct 26, 2013, 9:15 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
I'd say I have my gripes with employees (especially boarding the plane and not even getting a "hello" from the galley, something that AS does almost robotically)--but yes, pax can be a pain too.

I'd say it does indeed lack manners if a passenger can't even say please and thank you, or acknowledge the FA in some way. I also don't think it's okay for a bulkhead aisle passenger to put his/her feet up on the bulkhead -- it's inconsiderate to people who need to use the lavatory.

Other pet peeves include when people put their ipad and newspaper on top of the SHARED space where our drinks are supposed to go in F. A little common sense/courtesy goes along way.

So I guess the basic minimum standard I have is for people to just get on the plane and respect others personal space, and not be rude.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 9:16 am

This is dripping in irony. Using FT to promote one's blog ... to discuss manners.

That said, I believe in the rules of hospitality when out in public. Be as good of a guest as you are a host, and leave it at that.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 9:37 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Not UA specific and mods will move quickly.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 9:42 am

Programs: Mileage Plus: Platinum; Enterprise Plus: Silver
I am quite interested in the "thank you" part. Especially in premium cabin, I feel that my "thank you" should be less frequent. Indeed, a FA who is forced to say "you are welcome" for every piece of bread, for every napkin, for every water refill, might be happier if I just limit my "thank you" to once-twice per meal service or a favor in between. I wonder what others think.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by demkr
(snip)

Other pet peeves include when people put their ipad and newspaper on top of the SHARED space where our drinks are supposed to go in F. A little common sense/courtesy goes along way. (snip)
That's a good one - I've definitely had that happen to me as well.

Originally Posted by AeroWesty
This is dripping in irony. Using FT to promote one's blog ... to discuss manners.

That said, I believe in the rules of hospitality when out in public. Be as good of a guest as you are a host, and leave it at that.
So you're saying it's "bad manners" to include a link in this post? I included the relevant details, and left the full read as a link rather than subject everyone to it unnecessarily. If you don't want to read the full story, just don't. Is it EVER appropriate to include a link to a blog post?

Originally Posted by schley
Not UA specific and mods will move quickly.
That's fair - if there's a better place to have this discussion, MODS please move accordingly.

Originally Posted by Volga981
I am quite interested in the "thank you" part. Especially in premium cabin, I feel that my "thank you" should be less frequent. Indeed, a FA who is forced to say "you are welcome" for every piece of bread, for every napkin, for every water refill, might be happier if I just limit my "thank you" to once-twice per meal service or a favor in between. I wonder what others think.
I hear you - my frequent thank yous might just be my Canadian-ness showing
Old Oct 26, 2013, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by milesmuncher
Is it EVER appropriate to include a link to a blog post?
In my view, to begin a discussion to lead readers to a topic you've begun on your blog, with the intent to drive readership off FT and generate clicks for your own benefit, no. There's never an appropriate time to do that. It's bad manners.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
+1
Old Oct 26, 2013, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1K
Ever since my liberal use of please/thank you earned me a brownie from business class when I flew UA Y JFK-NRT at age 13, I've stuck with it ever since. The only time it seemed like I said the word thank you too many times was on my flights in LH F, as each little bit of food is placed on the table one at a time, yet I still found that I couldn't stop saying thank you for each item (and my F/A's reply "You are most welcome" probably got old for her too, but training/manners prevailed).

I am of the opinion that the better I treat airline employees as a passenger, the better they will treat me. This has worked out for me in all classes of service that I have flown.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 10:15 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Although the OP's related incidents occurred on United, the topic is clearly not specific to United and therefore please follow the thread to TravelBuzz. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, United and TravelBuzz.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 10:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Personally, I like travelling although its sometimes hard and seems to be a chore.. its a privilege to get on a plane and travel to a nice destination. I find it a privilege to take so much time off and head to a desirable place to spend valuable time with the family.

We do a travel day which is set up to enjoy the rigors of travel.

The whole point I'm making, is we try to keep a positive attitude and outlook.. and treat everyone with respect. If employees along the way is having a tough day, hopefully we can express appreciation for their services, grant thank you's as much as possible, and make the travel experience as pleasant as possible for everyone.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 10:27 am

Programs: UA 2P
With regards to please and thank you, isn't it just common courtesy to say please when asking for something, or thank you when someone helps you?
Old Oct 26, 2013, 10:40 am
Original Poster

In my view, to begin a discussion to lead readers to a topic you've begun on your blog, with the intent to drive readership off FT and generate clicks for your own benefit, no. There's never an appropriate time to do that. It's bad manners.
Emphasis mine.

That's your interpretation of my intent, and I can tell you it's wrong. My actual intent was to start a conversation among people who didn't engage in it the first time around (i.e. on my blog). The reason I posted the link, as I mentioned before, was to provide a "full read" for those who wanted more than the key highlights I provided in the post.

I like clicks as much as the next guy, but I'm really not worried about the fraction of a penny (that's not an exaggeration) that I might get from people clicking through.

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Personally, I like travelling although its sometimes hard and seems to be a chore.. its a privilege to get on a plane and travel to a nice destination. I find it a privilege to take so much time off and head to a desirable place to spend valuable time with the family.

We do a travel day which is set up to enjoy the rigors of travel.

The whole point I'm making, is we try to keep a positive attitude and outlook.. and treat everyone with respect. If employees along the way is having a tough day, hopefully we can express appreciation for their services, grant thank you's as much as possible, and make the travel experience as pleasant as possible for everyone.
^

Originally Posted by fnothaft
With regards to please and thank you, isn't it just common courtesy to say please when asking for something, or thank you when someone helps you?
One would think, but apparently it's not universal

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Oct 26, 2013 at 11:37 am Reason: Combine consecutive posts of same member.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by milesmuncher
That's your interpretation of my intent, and I can tell you it's wrong.
Honest question. If you didn't have a blog, would you have begun this thread? That's the only question which needs answering.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Honest question. If you didn't have a blog, would you have begun this thread? That's the only question which needs answering.
Honest answer: yes

The one difference I can imagine is that I probably would've started it sooner (i.e. around the same time I wrote the post). The first place I tend to go to share a story / experience is my blog (or maybe Twitter), but sometimes I'll share the same story / experience / information on FT as well - if it feels like something the FT community might also be interested in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.