Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What is your minimum standard of manners when traveling?

What is your minimum standard of manners when traveling?

Old Nov 17, 13, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo View Post
Or, indeed, talking about "pants"
That's pants!
Old Nov 17, 13, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exbayern View Post
I think that why 'ma'am' may hurt my ears is as some say on the BA thread I linked; 'ma'am' is for royalty. So using it is sort of a mockery to others.

That may be a subtlety of language ie where a word means one thing in one country, and something different in another, even when using the same word. Americans wearing their 'fanny' packs may encounter similar in the UK.
Americans wearing fanny packs encounter similar in the US, too.
Old Nov 17, 13, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by PTravel View Post
Americans wearing fanny packs encounter similar in the US, too.
Well, except that you, sir, don't have a 'fanny' in British English. When you leave America, it disappears.

I however have one in either country.
Old Nov 26, 13, 10:11 am

Programs: JAL, Asia Miles
From a Briton : always "please", always "thank you", and always try to achieve eye contact when saying either. Coach class, business class, first class : makes no difference, manners are never unnecessary.
Old Nov 26, 13, 10:14 pm

I restrict my manners to showering no less than 5 days before the flight and keep farting to no more than 3 gas passings per hour.
Old Nov 26, 13, 11:00 pm

I think every airline should employ an old school Roman Catholic Nun who would walk the aisles giving corrective discipline to rude passengers by snapping a ruler across their knuckles.
It did wonders for me, I ALWAYS say please and thank-you
Old Nov 26, 13, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by Chaa006 View Post
From a Briton : always "please", always "thank you", and always try to achieve eye contact when saying either. Coach class, business class, first class : makes no difference, manners are never unnecessary.
+1
Old Nov 27, 13, 6:36 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by wordsew View Post
I think every airline should employ an old school Roman Catholic Nun who would walk the aisles giving corrective discipline to rude passengers by snapping a ruler across their knuckles.
Worked for me too!
Old Nov 27, 13, 6:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by wordsew View Post
Originally Posted by krlcomm View Post
Worked for me too!
Met some nuns and discussed religion. They said they don't like being preached to.

Growing up, I did attend a Roman Catholic School up to Grade 8 in Calgary. Didn't attend the masses, nor get involved with the reconciliation.. I can't recall the other levels, but I never did anything with the church except for some church services at the affiliated church. Bottom line, I did not set a good catholic example.

Visited Vatican last year. It was a good intense tour.
Old Jan 14, 14, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL PM, UA Gold, WN A-List, HH DIA, Hyatt Disc, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
No minimum, as many manners as I can. You go a long way with please, thank you, excuse me etc. and one of my favorites for anyone working "how's your day going today?". Asking that of a server, gate agent, flight attendant etc. makes them feel like human beings and can make a difference in their day.

This is especially true overseas, I want people in other countries to think "there's one American who defies the stereotypes".

Search this Thread
Search Engine: