Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What side of the plane flying into Paris/Newark ?

Old Oct 16, 13, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Im flying UA 767-300 Business First from Newark to Paris. What side of the plane is best to see the Eifel Tower and or other sights when descending into Paris ?

Im also flying UA 737-800 First from Houston to Newark. What side of the plane is better for a view ? Ive never flown into Newark, is there anything to see anyway ?

Long time reader, and I appreciate everyones input and advice.
Old Oct 16, 13, 8:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Very unlikely to see anything flying into CDG, regardless of what side of the aircraft you're on.

Flying into EWR, the only chance of seeing anything (good view of the Manhattan skyline) is if you're on the left of the aircraft, and this assumes you're landing to the SW (22L). If you're landing the other direction you won't see anything really, no matter where you sit. Depends on the wind that day.
Old Oct 16, 13, 8:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Hookm36 View Post
Im flying UA 767-300 Business First from Newark to Paris. What side of the plane is best to see the Eifel Tower and or other sights when descending into Paris ?

Im also flying UA 737-800 First from Houston to Newark. What side of the plane is better for a view ? Ive never flown into Newark, is there anything to see anyway ?

Long time reader, and I appreciate everyones input and advice.
Sorry I don't know the exact answer, but I can tell you usually flying into EWR you have a beautiful view of downtown Manhattan. I would guess from IAH it would be on the right?
Old Oct 16, 13, 8:46 am

Programs: AA DULtArer
In my experience

Into CDG, le droit

Into EWR le gauche

I would guess from IAH it would be on the right?
The approach is more likely from North IMHE, dictated by NY ATC, not the "as the crow flies" path from IAH
Old Oct 16, 13, 8:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LaserSailor View Post
In my experience

Into CDG, le droit

Into EWR le gauche

The approach is more likely from North IMHE, dictated by NY ATC, not the "as the crow flies" path from IAH
Well as I'm thinking about it, I distinctly remember days after 9/11 flying TPA-EWR and looking at downtown from the right of the plane. It's a very clear memory.
Is there a way the OP can see it on flight aware?
Old Oct 16, 13, 8:55 am

Programs: UA 1K Million Mile, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First, Global Entry, UK Trusted Traveler
CDG is about 20 miles north-northeast of Paris and the approach seldom if ever would be over Paris and even then would not allow a view of Paris, from my experience.

Last edited by adagio; Oct 16, 13 at 9:50 am Reason: geographically challenged... :)
Old Oct 16, 13, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Which side of the aircraft should you sit n? That's easy -- the INside

Seriously, there's really no way to tell. It all depends on the wind and the routing. Coming into EWR you can see Manhattan. There are better views heading south (22L landing) which would mean sitting on the left. But landing to the north (4R) you'd see nothing of Manhattan unless yu were on the right.
Old Oct 16, 13, 8:57 am

CDG is so far northeast of Paris that you're unlikely to see anything on arrival or departure. At least, I never have. And, depending on what time of year you're flying, if you're on the "early" flight there's a fair chance you'll be on approach before local sunrise.

Returning to Newark, I concur that you're most likely to have a view from the left side.
Old Oct 16, 13, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chavala View Post
Well as I'm thinking about it, I distinctly remember days after 9/11 flying TPA-EWR and looking at downtown from the right of the plane. It's a very clear memory.
Is there a way the OP can see it on flight aware?
You still will have some view of the city if you land from the south but I agree with LaserSailor - the best view is if you land from the north and are sitting on the left side of the plane. Newark airport sits south of the city so you don't get the full panorama if landing from the south.
Old Oct 16, 13, 9:06 am
Senior Moderator/Moderator: United MileagePlus

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus]; SPG Lifetime Plat (and now MR Plat); HY whatever-ist..
As this is not specific to United, please follow the thread as it moves to the TravelBuzz forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz and United.
Old Oct 16, 13, 9:50 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond
Fly IAH-EWR a few times a month, but I'm usually sleeping on the inbound flights. I am fairly certain though that we loop around and come south to land so the city would be on the left.

If taking the AirTrain at Newark, you get a good view of the skyline in between Terminals C and B.
Old Oct 16, 13, 10:58 am

Enjoy the fresh air at Newark. That polluted air reminds me of home.
Old Oct 16, 13, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA 1k
I flew into CDG from EWR this morning and had a beautiful view of the Eifel Tower and Seine from the right hand side of the plane. If it's clear and they are landing to the west this is where you want to be.
Old Oct 16, 13, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by eflyte View Post
I flew into CDG from EWR this morning and had a beautiful view of the Eifel Tower and Seine from the right hand side of the plane. If it's clear and they are landing to the west this is where you want to be.
I don't follow this: if you're landing on westerlies, typically via a Caen STAR from the west, you'd be vectored well north of the city to turn final maybe 8nm east of the field. So your aircraft would probably have been no nearer than 25nm north of city. Too far away to have clear views, one would think.
Old Oct 16, 13, 6:33 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Every time I've landed or taken off from CDG it has been too cloudy to see anything at all. Regardless of what side of the plane I was on.

Search this Thread