Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do you feel safe flying on a Russian carrier?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you feel safe flying on a Russian carrier?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2013, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by t325
I was going to reply to the thread with "Not if it's a Russian plane, but I'd feel safe on a Boeing or Airbus" and then I saw your post.

But if the dashcam videos I've seen are any indication, driving around Russia wouldn't be much safer.

True about the dash cams in the vehicles.
It was a B737. It was probably an older 737 that wasn't maintained well. Not just a Russian made airplane.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 7:59 pm

I don't feel safe flying on a Russian Airline. A few years ago when looking for flights to Israel to visit family Aeroflot and Aerosvit came up as options before looking at their schedules I discounted them as I did not feel safe flying on them.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by danielonn
I don't feel safe flying on a Russian Airline. A few years ago when looking for flights to Israel to visit family Aeroflot and Aerosvit came up as options before looking at their schedules I discounted them as I did not feel safe flying on them.
Aerosvit was Ukrainian.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
And let me guess, you'd ba happy for example to fly, Air France,... who have a far worse recent safety record than Aeroflot.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I like to fly on Lufthansa.
Also had a fatal accident in 1993 About the same time Aeroflot had their last fatal crash.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Also had a fatal accident in 1993 About the same time Aeroflot had their [latest] fatal crash.
2008 isn't "about the same time" as 1993 when a drunk pilot crashed his plane. The 1993 flight was due to a pilot handing the control of the plane to his 13 year old son.

Lufthansa's D-AIPN resulted in the loss of 4 lives. Aeroflot's SSSR-65058, F-OGQS, SSSR-47823, SSSR-87526, SSSR-46724, unknown, SSSR-46724, SSSR-85097, SSSR-87453, SSSR-86905, SSSR-78781, SSSR-65951 and VP-BKO resulted in the loss of 445 lives. Which is 100 more than the 345 lives lost on AF's F-GZCP, F-BTSC and F-GFKC.

Still it should be noted that SU in 2013 isn't the SU it was in 1990. And SU international isn't SU domestic. I'd happily fly SU if I could avoid transiting through SVO and having contact with any SU employees.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:52 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Most of the large ex-USSR carriers (SU, S7, VV -RIP-, PS, etc.) are ok safety-wise. It's the small regional ones that I would have concerns over.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by theddo
2008 isn't "about the same time" as 1993 when a drunk pilot crashed his plane. The 1993 flight was due to a pilot handing the control of the plane to his 13 year old son.

Lufthansa's D-AIPN resulted in the loss of 4 lives. Aeroflot's SSSR-65058, F-OGQS, SSSR-47823, SSSR-87526, SSSR-46724, unknown, SSSR-46724, SSSR-85097, SSSR-87453, SSSR-86905, SSSR-78781, SSSR-65951 and VP-BKO resulted in the loss of 445 lives. Which is 100 more than the 345 lives lost on AF's F-GZCP, F-BTSC and F-GFKC..

Saying 2008 was Aeroflot (it was not!) is the same as saying BUF Colgan was Continental.
And sorry, but crashes during the Soviet times (ie. prior to 1992) have absolutely ZERO relevance to safety today.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Saying 2008 was Aeroflot (it was not!) is the same as saying BUF Colgan was Continental.
And sorry, but crashes during the Soviet times (ie. prior to 1992) have absolutely ZERO relevance to safety today.
In 2008 it was the UAX of SU. Now it's not, but it was back then. SU821 was also operated by Aeroflot-Nord, but it was an Aeroflot flight flown by a subsidiary.

Did you not read my post where I quite clearly stated that SU of 1990ies wasn't SU today?
Old Nov 20, 2013, 9:11 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Also the daily amount of scheduled flights should be taken into account. I don't think AF-SU is a fair comparison volume-wise.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 9:47 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Forrest Bump
Also the daily amount of scheduled flights should be taken into account. I don't think AF-SU is a fair comparison volume-wise.
Agreed. Last statistics I can find show that Aeroflot carried only 16% as many passengers per year as Air France.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 6:54 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by orthar
lol, how is LY's safety record relevant to this thread, besides the convoluted effort to attack something Israeli?
The quoted poster doesn't seem to like flying LY either. However, he did say he flew to Israel which somehow leads you to bring up El Al?
I just don't feel safe flying them. Nothing against Israel. As matter of fact I ate gefilte fish for lunch today. Just saying.

PS: I think your effort to attack Russia failed.
[Unduly personalized text deleted by Moderator.]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Nov 22, 2013 at 5:13 pm Reason: See above note; per FT Rules.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 6:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Too many to list
What is far more scary and never gets reported very widely is the amount of near misses in the USA, you could argue we have more traffic, we not compared to the number of planes per square mile as in Europe you dont. Flying in USA is pretty dangerous compared to other parts of the world when you dig into the real facts.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mayodave
What is far more scary and never gets reported very widely is the amount of near misses in the USA, you could argue we have more traffic, we not compared to the number of planes per square mile as in Europe you dont. Flying in USA is pretty dangerous compared to other parts of the world when you dig into the real facts.
uh-oh, now youre gonna be labelled anti-american!
Old Nov 21, 2013, 6:55 pm

The conspiracy theories are starting, just like in the Smolensk crash that killed the Polish president and entourage in 2010:

That is no “wing grazing” caused by a lack of power on the second landing attempt. That is a vertical, uncontrolled power dive. No Boeing 737 has suffered a similar incident.

Note the flame on the right wing, possibly on or near the engine, which flares up right before impact. This, plus the fact that the initial stories are so contrary to the video evidence, plus the fact that the Russians rushed to rule out terrorism, makes me believe that it most likely was terrorism.

Tatarstan is a Muslim province. There have been signs of an incipient Muslim insurgency in the province. Notorious Chechen Islamist leader Doku Umarov has called for an uprising in the province. Islamic terrorists are looking to launch high visibility attacks in the lead up to Sochi. The head of the FSB in the region was on the plane, as was the son of the region’s president.

All of these conditions make terrorism plausible.
http://streetwiseprofessor.com/?p=7818

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.