Wiki Posts
Search

Ridiculous things people claimed as travel/business expenses

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2013, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Ridiculous things people claimed as travel/business expenses

OK, the parallel thread is quite informative and entertaining, but I have high hopes for this thread as well.

Let me start - at my previous job, while working for one large IT reseller company, account manager took customer in strip bar in Vegas, put there $1700 on company's credit card and then tried to expense it.

Yes, he got $800k contract signed but at the result he got fired.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 7:45 am

At a previous employer, I had a supervisor who was more candid with me than he probably should have been. (In other words, he told me stuff about coworkers that he shouldn't have. Fortunately, I'm more discreet. ) But I can anonymously rat these out:

Teleworker who tried to expense a chair for his home office. Another teleworker who repainted his home office and tried to expense that.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 7:57 am

This happened at my wife's firm. A co-worker moved from the DC area to the Delaware coast, with approval to set up a home office and work from home most of the time. He was very tight with the then-manager of her office. After said manager got let go, new manager starts reviewing teleworker's expense reports. Turns out the company was paying not just for the high-speed internet connection, but all of his cable costs, including every movie channel offered...
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:45 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by invisible
OK, the parallel thread is quite informative and entertaining, but I have high hopes for this thread as well.

Let me start - at my previous job, while working for one large IT reseller company, account manager took customer in strip bar in Vegas, put there $1700 on company's credit card and then tried to expense it.

I used to work for one of the major consulting firms and I had a project manager who did the same. Took about half the team to a strip club one state over (I did not join them) and expensed it.

I wondered for a long time how he got away with it until I found out months later he hadn't been forwarding any of our expenses on to the client, he had six months of expense reports backed up. Eventually he was removed as PM and the new guy had to go over every report by hand. Let's just say I know exactly when he found *that* receipt.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 8:11 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Not exactly an expense, but I once knew a guy who took a company vehicle and used it on company time when he was supposed to be doing field work, to move out of his apartment. He put about 300 miles on it in a week when the average for hos field work was less than 50.

But it was his last week before he left the company, so nothing ever came of it.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 8:20 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP
Had a coworker who bought a $400 pair of steel toed cowboy boots and expensed them as "safety shoes." We were allowed to buy safety shoes once a year...but this was a bit beyond the pale.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 8:24 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
I worked for a Brussels based consultancy firm and had a colleague who a had a girlfriend in Paris. He often managed to arrange a business trip to Paris on Friday, charged hotel expenses for the week-end and even had laundry expenses showing woman's bras on the laundry note
Old Oct 14, 2013, 8:45 pm

Well I guess it's only human nature to minimize stuff you pay out of your own pocket. If you can make your employer pay it for you, that would be even better, hehehe .
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:20 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
I once sent an employee to a project site which required him to live in a construction camp for several months at the client's expense. Being young and single he decided to move out of his apartment to save on the cost, which was fine with me. What wasn't fine was that he tried to expense the penalty for the early lease termination.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:33 pm

The head of Unions Australia got hookers with a company card and tried to claim it was an expanse when they inquired what the charges were for. How can you be so stupid...
Old Oct 15, 2013, 2:51 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver

Sounds like a good deal to me. He wouldn't have got fired for that in a lot of companies I know of. Was it the $1700 or the fact that it was a strip bar?
Old Oct 15, 2013, 2:59 am

I've seen a lot on the small end also, for example, people expensing toll receipts in the cents
Old Oct 15, 2013, 3:30 am

Programs: LH KL PC
I don't see anything wrong with expensing small amounts to the cent, if you paid for it why shouldn't you get reimbursed, even if the amount is very small ?
I expense toll fees, metro rides, bus rides which often amount to around 2 EUR each. Once I expensed a german public restroom receipt for the grand total of 0.50 EUR
I did it more as a joke to see what would happen, but nobody said anything and I got reimbursed.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 3:35 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by Youngie
The head of Unions Australia got hookers with a company card and tried to claim it was an expanse when they inquired what the charges were for. How can you be so stupid...
I have known a colleague successfully expense the above while entertaining a client in Amsterdam. It was frowned upon, naturally, but still reimbursed. Other Amsterdam pleasures were also expensed.

From my part, my Amsterdam pleasure is cycling, and it's generally been the best way to get to/from the office, so I used to often expense cycle rental while working over there. My Southern California-based employer had problems processing it (although they were less confused than when I opted to rent a bicycle to get around in Southern California!)
Old Oct 15, 2013, 3:37 am

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Originally Posted by invisible

Can someone tell me why this is wrong? Moral issue aside, it sounds like a good business expense. Spend $1700 and got a $800K contract. Sounds like a business expense to me.

How is that different than going to a high end restaurant and blowing $1700 on dinner? or NFL tickets?

My old manager spend 10K on lunch with one prospective client and got a total $100K commission on the deal. He told me 'its business".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.