Ridiculous things people claimed as travel/business expenses

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ridiculous things people claimed as travel/business expenses

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Is this really worthy of a new thread?
well, the other one is almost an adult in dog years ...
Old Mar 14, 2019, 3:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by davie355
alcohol excluded from eligible expenses (okay, sure), and margherita pizza not reimbursed because it sounds like it could contain alcohol (!!!)
This is awesome.

Margerita pizza and a root beer, slice of rum cake for dessert. Mixin' liquors like a boss.

Over on another thread, someone posted that they've been banned from tipping Uber drivers. While I have long been in the camp that ridesharing blew a great opportunity to establish a tip-free model, and I'm against the expansion of the scourge of tipping in the developed world in general, it's a little harsh to put your employees on the front line in that crusade

I know some employers ban tips for doormen and valets - I can generally get around using those services - but I look at Uber/Lyft as essential to nearly all of my business trips. We've been given guidance to attempt to complete our trips with ridesharing and only rent cars when the former would be infeasible or entirely cost-prohibitive.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by jrl767

well, the other one is almost an adult in dog years ...
Yet it serves its purpose, which is why it was merged...
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Should have been merged with the "dumb policies" one imo
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by pinniped
I have long been in the camp that ridesharing blew a great opportunity to establish a tip-free model
They did. Uber fares are with the expectation that "no gratuity required or expected." Of course, nothing prevented passengers from tipping cash if they felt like it. Then there were lawsuits about the app itself not allowing for tips to be easily added, so Uber added that functionality. But Uber fares, unlike taxi fares, are "no tips expected" and tips are truly optional, and not just from a legal perspective.

I know some employers ban tips for doormen and valets - I can generally get around using those services - but I look at Uber/Lyft as essential to nearly all of my business trips.
Then don't tip. It's not a jerk move like it would be for a waiter or cab driver, where a 15% tip is an expected part of their pay for standard service.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 12:05 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
An alpaca.

Yes, really. A colleague spotted that the restaurant we ate at in shenyang had a pet baby alpaca. He tipped the waiter to have it brought to our table while we ate. I asked him why he would spend his own money on that and he laughed and said it would go on his expense report as “tips”.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.