Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Air + AA= dead?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2013, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

US Air + AA= dead?

I applied for a US Air card only for the 35,000 miles that I intended to transfer to AA when the hoped-for merger occurred. US Air isn't a convenient airlines for me. I generally only UAL and AA. Is the general belief that the merger is still alive?
Old Oct 12, 2013, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Big discussion of this in the AA forum. Most insightful posts I've read there indicate that it's likely that the DOJ will prevail in blocking the merger.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 6:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
In any case, the US miles are good for any Star Alliance carrier, so as you say you fly UA, you can use them there. If you fly only domestic, maybe they are not as sexy, but for overseas travel I can think of many many good uses of 30k US miles and the US award chart is far more generous than AA's except the lack of one way (at half cost).
Old Oct 12, 2013, 6:57 am

I don't really think that US has a more generous chart than AA. NA-SEA is 110k in J, 135k in F using AA for OW partners, 120k in J, 160k I'm F using US for *A partners.

Of course, the US routing rules are much nicer (TATL permitted)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.