Wiki Posts
Search

Do we fly for the right reasons.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2013, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: EXP

I sometimes internalize and wonder am I flying for the love of it, or has the imperative of seeking premium status taken over. I am going to ANC, not because I want to, but because I have to achieve EXP on AA soon. Am I a frequent flyer or a status attainer ? Can someone help me in my philosophical dilemma.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 11:15 am

Programs: AA ex-EXP (buh-bye!), HH Gold, SPG Gold, UM Go Blue
Originally Posted by jack55
I sometimes internalize and wonder am I flying for the love of it, or has the imperative of seeking premium status taken over. I am going to ANC, not because I want to, but because I have to achieve EXP on AA soon. Am I a frequent flyer or a status attainer ? Can someone help me in my philosophical dilemma.
For me, the payoff is when I do long-haul F with my spouse. I always feel a bit sorry for the people who are sitting rich and alone in the first class cabins, the caviar and champagne so very much better with a partner. Personally, I could sit in coach all the time when I am alone, I really don't care, but the spouse LOVES international F (and The Wing HKG and Qantas F lounge SYD!)

I also do a lot of international travel (alone) where the payoff to being OWE is huge no matter what class of cabin.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 11:58 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Can someone help me in my philosophical dilemma.
As your philosophical dilemma is one that is more or less universal in the frequent flyer community, and not really related specifically to AA or the AAdvantage programme, I am going to move it to the MilesBuzz forum for discussion by the wider FlyerTalk cohort.

~Microwave
AAdvantage Forum Co-moderator
Old Oct 9, 2013, 12:13 pm

Programs: FB Plat, *A Silver, Volare Exec (LOL), some hotels (Gold)

I gave up on that dilemma long ago when I opted for the easy answer: I fly for both reasons.

The pleasure of a long good flight is unbeatable, it's sort of a romantic (in the broader sense) experience, alone in the middle of nowhere. The flight itself often become the most imporatnt part of the trip.
On the other hand, having the status and be able to relax in the lounge, skip the queue etc - make for a better experience overall.

Status also helps a lot as I travel for work frequently.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by Wollstonecraft
For me, the payoff is when I do long-haul F with my spouse. I always feel a bit sorry for the people who are sitting rich and alone in the first class cabins, the caviar and champagne so very much better with a partner. Personally, I could sit in coach all the time when I am alone, I really don't care, but the spouse LOVES international F (and The Wing HKG and Qantas F lounge SYD!)

I also do a lot of international travel (alone) where the payoff to being OWE is huge no matter what class of cabin.
To be fair, most such folks are flying for business and on the company or client's dime, so that's probably a pretty sweet feeling too...
Old Oct 9, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
I gave up trying to game the status system this year and it has already saved me a ton of cash since I own my own business. Probably enough to buy a few more tickets. Priority pass is a lifesaver.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I have multiple lifetime/million mile/blah blah statuses, but, iirc, have taken exactly one extra segment to stretch for a status (late December, took a connection instead of a non-stop to get to 75 segments).

I maximize my status/points/etc., within the framework of getting to client sites, doing my job, etc. This may be anti-FT philosophy, but I do find flying somewhere for no reason or paying/burning points to stay in a hotel for no reason kind of odd.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 10:48 pm

Programs: Too Many to Count
Yup, I surely have taken a crapton of unnecessary trips over the years. But I've loved it. I've never engaged in a MR. I don't do that. I take a weekend, go somewhere (like IST, DUB, PRG, BRU x 2, LHR x 2, EZE, ELP x 3, NYC x 6, BNA, MSP, MSY x 3, SEA x 4, PDX x 2, AVL x 3, RDU x 4, MIA/FLL x 3, BOS x 2, LAX x 5, ORD x 2, AUS x 2, MCI, YYC, KOA, ANC, STL, YVR, DFW, YUL, IAH, PHX, DEN x 2, PHL, etc to the etc power). I remember distinctly that in 2009 I was home for maybe 15-20 days. I've pretty much traveled non-stop for the past 6 years. I'd put my travels up against anyone, anywhere.

All of this traveling has afforded me the ability to stay in touch with family and friends. I'm eternally grateful for that. The downside is that well over 80% of all my expenses are travel related...

So, am I doing it for the right reasons? Who knows? I like buying for family free tickets, hotel rooms, etc. And I get to experience new places and things, which doesn't get all that old. Plus, I think it's contributed to my happiness. I wouldn't change it, I do know what. But, approaching 30 now, I may have to cut back and maybe think of settling somewhere.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: EXP
A good ole MR does contribute to the eventual well being of premium travel, like first class lounges, preferred seating and precedence for waitlisting, but they can be so tedious sometimes. Is all the trouble worth it? I am sure that I like the result, so I will suffer the effort.....which sometimes is effortless, like on free travel and hotel stays.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
I have to fly to see most of my family members (an ocean and a continent are in the way)...if I did not want to see them, I could avoid flying.

However, I usually enjoy going places, so it's not too big of a deal.

Old Oct 10, 2013, 8:06 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
I have discovered that for most of my flying (TLV to Europe and TATL) that upgrades are virtually nonexistent, and with Priority Pass, I don't really need lounge access from status, so sadly, this year it looks like I'll only end up Gold on DL. There's a slight chance I'll make *G on United or Platinum on AA but unlikely.

I debated switching to the TK program to get *G easier but ultimately decided that UA's earn/burn rates were better and I was better off being * Silver on UA than *G on TK although I'm willing to be convinced otherwise if someone can make the case.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by CPRich
I have multiple lifetime/million mile/blah blah statuses, but, iirc, have taken exactly one extra segment to stretch for a status (late December, took a connection instead of a non-stop to get to 75 segments).

I maximize my status/points/etc., within the framework of getting to client sites, doing my job, etc. This may be anti-FT philosophy, but I do find flying somewhere for no reason or paying/burning points to stay in a hotel for no reason kind of odd.
I'm in the same boat. I fly enough for work that I'll always get near 100-120 segments. If I'm going to be running short, I'll add in a connection here and there, but there's no way in hell I'm ever taking a mileage run. I spend enough time in planes and airports as is.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 2:20 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: JAL Global Club, One World Sapphire, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold
I haven't flown at all this year and I have no plans to fly at all anytime in the near future. I obtained my status with JAL when I was single and flying solely for pleasure. Now I'm married and am battling a serious illness so there is no money for flying or hotels. No regrets here, I had a great run.

And as long as JAL doesn't change it's policies, I have enough miles to keep me OneWorld Sapphire for the next 27 years so when I am able to fly again, my wife and I will still be able to enjoy the benefits it provides.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 7:58 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Sure. What is your ratio of necessary travel to status/mileage runs? Use whatever metric you want, miles, points, segments.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 3:41 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Can't imagine doing an MR, but then I've always had enough travel to make the top tier. I do sometimes though adjust my schedule or routing a little to fly on a specific aircraft....ones I haven't flown before, inaugural flights, cabin refits, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.