Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is air cabin dryness an issue for you?

Old Oct 8, 13, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

I got two questions here:

1. How much of an issue is cabin dryness for you? For short-haul flight, say from 1-3 hours, it's not a big deal for me. But for the long-haul flights over 6-7 hours, it starts to become an issue. My eyes, skin and lips seems to be particularly sensitive to low humidity. I use those moisturizer and lip balm to keep the skin cracking and chapped lips under control, but it's efforts wear off quite quickly, so I have to almost constantly put it back on every 30 minutes or so. Do you guys have any better suggestions?

2. For those who have flown on the 787, is there a noticeable difference in the humidity level for you compared to the other planes? I know the 787, because of its carbon-fiber fuselage, can allow for a higher level of moisture than on regular planes (which is very low). Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but for regular planes, they use the pressurized bleed air from the engines which is routed through the air con packs before emptying into the cabin. The humidity is kept low to avoid accelerating the corrosion of the plane.

Last edited by WindowSeat123; Oct 9, 13 at 11:23 pm
Old Oct 9, 13, 2:43 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
For me cabin dryness is mostly non-issue.

My throat does get drier if I speak more (or have my mouth open for a long time when I fall asleep head down), but that can fixed by drinking some water.

The only issue for me is for long-hauls I need to remove my contacts during the flight or else my eyes become really dry.

So think the best way is to get better moisturizer and lip balm, combined with drinking more water if dryness is a problem for you.

As for your second question, I have no feedback as I've never flown on the 787.
Old Oct 9, 13, 4:12 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
It's a big issue for me, which I deal with by drinking loads of water. Hydrating from the inside out seems more effective than slapping on moisturiser and eye balm, but I've done that too.

I look forward to the more humid 787 cabin but I guess it will still be a lot dryer than comfortable landside air. Or will we all get Legionnaires' now?
Old Oct 9, 13, 4:44 am

It is a big issue for me. I always take min 1 liter of water with me for long haul even more.

Also for me, my nose dries out pretty fast and for that I use NeilMed NasoGel, it is pretty good.
Old Oct 9, 13, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Non issue here.
Old Oct 9, 13, 7:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
I am way more prone to nose bleeds after a long haul flight, which I've always thought was due to cabin dryness. I can't fly without lip salve (but I'm an addict anyway) and I always moisturise as well.
Old Oct 9, 13, 7:33 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Silver, MR Lifetime Gold
1. It is an issue mainly because I wear contacts. I usually avoid wearing contacts when I fly. Staying well hydrated is really key - drink plenty of water and don't have too much stuff that dehydrates you (salt, alcohol, etc.) If you do eat something overly salty (e.g. fast food) or have a few drinks, compensate by drinking more water.

2. Can't comment on the 787.
Old Oct 9, 13, 7:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
No issue here.
Old Oct 9, 13, 8:12 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
For me it's an issue only because my eyes tend to get rather dry. Since I always wear contacts, that means for long flights I generally need to switch into glasses. If for whatever reason I don't, it can be uncomfortable.

That said, this past weekend I had my first flight on a 787 (BA LHR-EWR), and true to the publicity I found the cabin to be much less dry and more comfortable than usual. I didn't need to take my contacts out at all, which was nice.
Old Oct 9, 13, 8:44 am
In Memoriam

Programs: JAL Global Club, One World Sapphire, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold
No issue here.
Old Oct 9, 13, 9:29 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
my first flight on a 787 (BA LHR-EWR), and true to the publicity I found the cabin to be much less dry and more comfortable than usual
Good news. Thanks. Sometimes I think dryness affects people even when they don't think they have an issue. For example, if it affects contact lens wearers, then it is probably making everyone else's eyes too dry as well, it just doesn't manifest itself in such an annoying way.
Old Oct 9, 13, 10:37 am

Programs: UA PS, AA GLD, SPG GLD, PC PLT, CC GLD
I definitely found that the 787 was a better experience, though there is still dryness that you'd want to account for with water and balm. Taking a sip of water every few minutes is a must for me to not dry out completely.
Old Oct 9, 13, 12:01 pm

Headaches

Usually long haul flights causes dry sinuses and that leads to headaches so I found getting my nose close to hot tea or coffee helps because of the steam and also nasal sprays help as well.
Old Oct 9, 13, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL FO
Just dry throat, so water or cough drops to help.
Old Oct 9, 13, 12:23 pm

It's a huge issue for me with my skin, lips, eyes, and throat. I'm constantly re-applying lotion, chapstick, eyedrops, and drinking water, than having to get up frequently to use the bathroom.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: