Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Banning Reclined Seats? The Age Old Question

Old Oct 2, 13, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, HH Gold

Foxnews has recently put out an article again about banning reclining seats on certain short flights. Thoughts on the age old question?

Here is the article:
http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2013/1...ed-poll-shows/
Old Oct 2, 13, 10:39 am

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
Another reason to choose Ryanair.
Old Oct 2, 13, 11:12 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
"A reclined seat can negatively impact upon a person's overall flight experience, especially if the person in front is being particularly inconsiderate," Dr. Spelman said.
But sitting in a NON reclining seat for 2 or 4 or 6 hours can negatively impact a person's overall flight experience, too, especially if the person happens to be tall, wide, tired, or suffers neck, shoulder, or back pain.

I am firmly in the camp of those who place blame for this squarely on the airlines themselves. They all think they're going to go out of business if they raise fares, so they're foisting every other inconvenience and difficulty they can upon the traveling public to remain profitable without raising base fares - fees, overselling, reduced schedules, contracted areas of service, stripping of formerly included services like meals and pillows, and of course, cramming as many bodies into each aircraft as they can without actually suffocating someone.

Seat width and pitch are being narrowed, while the average American is actually widening and lengthening. Tighter seat pitch means that the seat in front of you will hit your knees, at least, when it reclines. But instead of blaming the airlines for putting the seats closer together than they were designed to be, we blame the unlucky schlub in the seat ahead of us for doing something that the seat was specifically designed to do, and which has been accepted practice on commercial airplanes for the better part of a century.

I don't enjoy it when someone ahead of me reclines his seat. I'm 6'-4" tall and when the seat in front of me reclines, it makes my tray table completely useless and presses my knees into the seatback pocket. But I don't complain - the seats are DESIGNED to recline. The airline simply put them too close together for them to operate properly with both passengers in place.

Likewise, if I can't recline my seat, I will be in physical pain by the time I land, even on a short-haul of 2 hours. I've been there - accidentally selected a row just ahead of the exit which didn't recline - and lemme tell ya, I was hurting by the time we kissed the tarmac.

I don't want fares to rise any more than the next guy. But for cryin' out loud, take out a row and give us some extra breathing room, and this sort of debate will become as rare as it was in the days before Sardine Class service.
Old Oct 2, 13, 11:33 am
Suspended

I imagine most fox news viewers are taking the lcc's anyway, so this isnt their concern.
Old Oct 2, 13, 11:50 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks

Programs: Tri-State Turducken, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Kopaja Platinum
Originally Posted by Circumknowitall View Post
Another reason to choose Ryanair.
Ah, so it was FR that had the non-reclining seats. Can't say I care to get to Western Europe much, but when I'm looking to have marzipan and visit Wuppertal, they'll now get a second glance.

It's also a reason why I somewhat like the NH 773 seats, the ones that slide in their own shell. Most Y seats aren't comfortable to begin with, so if the option to recline can become a non-option, that airline will get my vote.
Old Oct 2, 13, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA/DL/WN/ex-UA elite
I wish coach seats didn't recline. Bring your own pillow and sit on it (or behind your back) to be comfortable. Flying and comfortable don't go together in 2013.
Old Oct 2, 13, 1:37 pm
Formerly known as tonivitanza

Airlines know full well that their product IS highly price sensitive. More legroom=fewer seats =higher fares. It's not the airlines' fault that passengers are rude. An ideal solution, which I would enact the second I become Queen of the Airline, is to make all coach seats non-reclining. No more arguments to referee, no more unexpected spills or damage to laptops. If you aren't comfy, bring a pillow, have a cocktail, take a pill. If you're too tall to fit in your seat, upgrade. PS: Flying is not a right; it's not a utility. It IS a privilege.
Old Oct 2, 13, 1:58 pm

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
The new seats on the KLM Fokkers are exactly that. No recline.

I never recline except on long haul and even then 50/50, so absolutely bothered. These seats are comfy and offer more room.

http://www.aviationnews.eu/2012/03/2...sh-8-aircraft/

Last edited by bankops; Oct 2, 13 at 1:59 pm Reason: added link
Old Oct 2, 13, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Exec Premier, SPG Platinum, AmEx Platinum
I share the exact point of view as WillCAD.

It actually blows my mind that people call others "rude" for reclining a seat that is designed to recline. I paid for that seat and I deserve to try to be as comfortable as I can. The issue is not about the passengers at all or who is being rude to whom, but rather is 100% about the airlines and money and their continuing to cram more and smaller seats into aircraft in order to increase revenues. I feel it is downright appalling how flying has become essentially short term jail time and downright miserable on the comfort meter.

I was on a 2 hour South African Airways flight one time and sound asleep with my chair reclined the meager 2" that it allowed and I was woken up by the flight attendant because the person behind me was huge and couldn't put their tray table down because their gut needed that 2". So who is the "rude" one here? Who deserves to be inconvenienced more or less than the other?

It wouldn't be an issue if pitch were actually reasonable.
Old Oct 2, 13, 2:11 pm

Programs: Flying and sleeping
Originally Posted by BulaRae View Post
I was on a 2 hour South African Airways flight one time and sound asleep with my chair reclined the meager 2" that it allowed and I was woken up by the flight attendant because the person behind me was huge and couldn't put their tray table down because their gut needed that 2". So who is the "rude" one here? Who deserves to be inconvenienced more or less than the other?
Obesity is rude!

In fairness, there's a nice way and a rude way to recline the seat.

Nice - Look behind you to make sure you aren't about to break someone's laptop screen or recline into their head.

Rude - Press the button and slam the seat back, disregarding whatever may be going on behind you.

I don't have a problem with someone reclining in front of me. I do take issue when they do it in an inconsiderate manner.
Old Oct 2, 13, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, HH Gold, MR Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
I share the exact point of view as WillCAD.

It actually blows my mind that people call others "rude" for reclining a seat that is designed to recline. I paid for that seat and I deserve to try to be as comfortable as I can.

It wouldn't be an issue if pitch were actually reasonable.
There are many things in life which you have the right to do, but they may not be the right thing at the time.

The pitch in F is usually comfortable yet people still recline.
Old Oct 2, 13, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Exec Premier, SPG Platinum, AmEx Platinum
Originally Posted by HUB Flyer View Post
The pitch in F is usually comfortable yet people still recline.
??? That's my point. If there were reasonable pitch in economy then there would be plenty of room to recline without encroaching on the space of the flyer behind you in an incapacitating way.
Old Oct 2, 13, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG
Try the exCO F seats. Damn things seem to lean forward.
Old Oct 2, 13, 4:44 pm

??? That's my point. If there were reasonable pitch in economy then there would be plenty of room to recline without encroaching on the space of the flyer behind you in an incapacitating way.
You may be happy to pay extra for that extra pitch but I (and presumably millions of other people) am not. Which is why I personally love that Ryanair seats won't recline. The average shorthaul pitch is just about bearable to my long legs, but if someone reclines the seat in front then unless I'm in an extra legroom row, it invariably pushes down on top of my knees. Though I'm not sure that with Ryanair it has anything to do with seat pitch anyway, I'd imagine it was simply cheaper to buy seats that didn't recline.

It also doesn't help that I'm too kind for my own good! Because it infuriates me so much when people recline back onto me, I generally therefore wouldn't recline back onto anyone else (unless it's a small child etc. who clearly doesn't need the space) - even though they may not even care if I did...
Old Oct 2, 13, 5:23 pm

I would personally refuse to fly on an airline where none of the seats recline--I might as well sit on a bed of nails at that point.

(Then again, the only airlines I know if with lots of non-reclining seats aren't airlines I would book regardless.)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: