Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Banning Reclined Seats? The Age Old Question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2013, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by callum9999
- only someone completely ignorant would claim there was "nothing" rude about it. If you feel you have a right to use it simply because it exists then by all means go ahead, but by doing so you restrict my space so much I can often no longer move my legs and have to have my knees pressed against a hard surface unless I sit with my legs curled up on the seat. I'd love to hear your explanation as to how that isn't rude whatsoever?
addressing the bolded part above...

the problem with your position/logic is that you think all of the space in front of you up to the back of my seat (unreclined) is "your" space. That's simply inaccurate. Those few inches that my seat reclines into actually are mine, since my seat uses that space when I recline (which is an expected and allowable function of the seat). Same with the space behind your seat; it belongs to you.

If you can't understand that, or don't like it, then you need to select a different seat (exit row, bulkhead, First class, etc) so that you're not affected by the completely normal and expected actions of others. Or maybe just stay home.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Marriott PP/LT Plat, Golden Circle Diamond
Originally Posted by Indelaware
Reclined seats are, IMO, awful. The back just hurts by being in a constant recline. And today's seats - esp. the new ones on WN - seem to be in a permanent decline. And those who incline into one are just rude.
And lots of ergonomic studies completely and utterly refute what you posted.

We don't all were the same size shoes? Why do you think a fixed position seat would accomodate the comfort of everyone?

Differences in femur length, fibia/tibia length, torso length can make huge difference in comfort at different recline angles. Even for people with identical height will have a different preference for how much to recline.

Non reclining seats are a non-starter in the US market. Completely dead idea for long haul. First airline to try non recline on long haul would pay dearly as I'd never book them and I know I'm not alone.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 7:40 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
Originally Posted by wethereyet

Non reclining seats are a non-starter in the US market. Completely dead idea for long haul. First airline to try non recline on long haul would pay dearly as I'd never book them and I know I'm not alone.
But as LCC's around the world have proven ... there are many people who will pay lowest fare, no matter what that means.

I'd guarantee that if a carrier went to non-recline seats but charged $75 less per seat, they'd fill the plane. There might not be a single FT-er on the flight, but they'd fill it.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Exec Premier, SPG Platinum, AmEx Platinum
Hmmm, but ever notice how the budget airlines never last or have terrible reputations? Remember People's Express in the 80s? And more recently ATA? And now Spirit Airlines?
Old Oct 3, 2013, 8:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by mandolino
No mention of "set times" in the Fox report - in fact all airlines already request raising seats at meal-times. The degree to which they enforce this is questionable
I can't recall that happening on an American carrier I've travelled on in the last ~10 years.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 8:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by wethereyet
Allegiant says you're wrong, and given a look at their profits, I suspect they may be right for certain market segments.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 9:14 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Originally Posted by tonivitanza
Airlines know full well that their product IS highly price sensitive. More legroom=fewer seats =higher fares. It's not the airlines' fault that passengers are rude. An ideal solution, which I would enact the second I become Queen of the Airline, is to make all coach seats non-reclining. No more arguments to referee, no more unexpected spills or damage to laptops. If you aren't comfy, bring a pillow, have a cocktail, take a pill. If you're too tall to fit in your seat, upgrade. PS: Flying is not a right; it's not a utility. It IS a privilege.
I think your majesty might end up with some very unhappy serfs.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 9:57 pm

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
I can't recall that happening on an American carrier I've travelled on in the last ~10 years.
It happens every time I've travelled on ANZ, SIA, EK, QF, JAL, - but then, I travel mostly long-haul, and not in the USA.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 10:12 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: JAL Global Club, One World Sapphire, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Matt777

May I ask how tall you are? I'm 6'2 and I've never been horribly uncomfortable from the person in front of me reclining...

I'm going to continue to use the recline feature of my seat. What I do with the seat I paid for is none of your business.
You've never flown Air Asia, have you? My knees are jammed against the seat in front of me whether or not the seat is reclined. 28 inch pitch, if I remember correctly.

I do agree with you, however. ^
Old Oct 3, 2013, 10:13 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
The problem with your position/logic is that you think all of the space in front of you up to the back of my seat (unreclined) is "your" space. That's simply inaccurate. Those few inches that my seat reclines into actually are mine, since my seat uses that space when I recline (which is an expected and allowable function of the seat).
Well put.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Marriott PP/LT Plat, Golden Circle Diamond
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
Allegiant says you're wrong, and given a look at their profits, I suspect they may be right for certain market segments.
Short hops maybe but niche markets...

Go do a quick seach on Allegiant and their customer service. It baits people with low fare and then gets them at the airport with fees for everything (like water).

Will never work for long haul international flights.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 11:31 pm

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by celle
Your long legs are your problem. They are not the problem of the person in front of you and it is not their duty to solve the problem for you. Get a seat where there is more leg room (bulkhead or aisle, or sit slightly sideways). If their seat is made to recline, the space into which it reclines is their space, not yours.

I would not expect to solve a space problem for a fat person (who may b e asked to purchase a second seat), nor would I expect to solve the problem your legs cause you.
And the bin space above their seat is theirs too huh?

I do not "do" anything, other than sit down in my seat. Obviously I take an exit row whenever possible, but that isn't always the case. I haven't heard that tall people must buy a second seat [not that it would do any good ]. I never ask the person in front to put their seat back up, other than during meals, and then it is the FA who does it. You would be surprised how many people I see recline their seat and then NEVER lay back in it the whole flight!
Old Oct 4, 2013, 1:15 am

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
Originally Posted by bankops
And the bin space above their seat is theirs too huh?
That's a fine red herring - nothing whatsoever to do with seat reclining.

I'm glad you don't do anything except sit, unlike a previous poster who said he used his knees to prevent the person in front from reclining.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 2:38 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
This is how I see this:

Back when you could smoke in pubs, I never liked the smell. Having said that, I never questioned anyone's right to smoke in the pub. They were allowed, and therefore it was their entitlement to do so.
I made the decision to visit that pub as it was convenient for me. There was a non-smoking pub on the other side of town, but I chose not to use it. Therefore, whether or not the smoke irritated me or caused me pain, ultimately I made the decision to sit in that pub and I would never have dreamed of blaming the smokers who were doing what they were perfectly entitled to do; regardless of whether or not I agreed with it.

Same thing here. The person in front is perfectly entitled to recline their seat if it has a recline function. If I don't like that, I've got the choice to fly J or go with a LCC whose seats don't recline. The thought of jamming my legs into someone's seat to prevent them reclining their seat appears equivalent to me throwing a pint over a person smoking in the pub; blaming them for MY choice.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 4:48 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
BTW, can one compile this list of airlines where seats in Y do not recline? I personally have experienced only ANA and Air Asia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.