DEBUNKED: 10 Airplane Myths That People Still Believe

Old Sep 26, 13, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

DEBUNKED: 10 Airplane Myths That People Still Believe

http://www.businessinsider.com/10-ai...ebunked-2013-9
Old Sep 26, 13, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
What happened to "using an electronic device in transmit mode will cause the aircraft to hurtle to the ground." NOT.
Old Sep 26, 13, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by milepig View Post
What happened to "using an electronic device in transmit mode will cause the aircraft to hurtle to the ground." NOT.
They're not gonna cover that one, lol.
Old Sep 26, 13, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by milepig View Post
And neither will drunk pilots. Does that fact mean pilots should be allowed to drink while flying?
Old Sep 26, 13, 8:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA,DL,WN
Originally Posted by telloh View Post
And neither will drunk pilots. Does that fact mean pilots should be allowed to drink while flying?
yes, those are comparable
Old Sep 26, 13, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by blackdawn2 View Post
yes, those are comparable
Shrug, cell phones are high-powered transmitters which can interfere with aircraft electronics.

It's true they don't "cause airplanes to hurtle to the ground", just as drunk pilots don't.
Old Sep 26, 13, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM, AA EXP MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Avis First (oh boy)
Shrug, cell phones are high-powered transmitters which can interfere with aircraft electronics.
bulls**t
Old Sep 26, 13, 8:33 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Spire/Amb, SPG Gld, HH Gld
Originally Posted by corbetti View Post
bulls**t
And your technical expertise in this area is ?
I used to do this for a living. It may be unlikely, but so are lots of real safety hazards. It sure has hell ain't BS
[Unduly personalized remark deleted by Moderator.]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Sep 27, 13 at 11:20 am Reason: Per FT Rules
Old Sep 26, 13, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by dgwright99 View Post
And your technical expertise in this area is ?
I used to do this for a living. It may be unlikely, but so are lots of real safety hazards. It sure has hell ain't BS
[Conforming moderator edit to original quote].
While I have no technical expertise, if it was, indeed, a threat, I would seriously expect it to be enforced in a less casual fashion than it is now, where thousand blatantly ignore the "tell your cell phone off" thing.

Compared to how much effort is made for say, the liquid ban show, they really don't put a lot of effort in trying to make anyone believe electronics are a threat to the aircraft.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Sep 27, 13 at 11:22 am Reason: Conforming edit to quoted post
Old Sep 26, 13, 8:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA,DL,WN

It's true they don't "cause airplanes to hurtle to the ground", just as drunk pilots don't.
It's not "can", it's "could", and it's about as likely as getting hit by a meteroite
Old Sep 26, 13, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by blackdawn2 View Post
It's not "can", it's "could", and it's about as likely as getting hit by a meteroite
How do you know that? There is plenty of anecdotal evidence of cell phone interference. Which makes sense: they are high powered transmitters.

Cell phone non-interference is almost a religion amongst its adherents, but the burden is on them. Blackdawn2, if you can prove that close-proximity signals from phones made now or in the future, in any combination, will not interfere with any aircraft electronics now or in the future, then I will agree.

But this line of debate is silly. Of course high powered transmitters can and always will be able to interfere with electronic devices close to them.

(And OP, no, that doesn't mean planes will be falling from the skies.)
Old Sep 26, 13, 9:24 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
If the cellphone was really an issue they would ask everyone to check them in . I cannot count the times they I have left it on by accident. Obviously it is not a serious threat or they would actively ensure every single phone on the plane is turned off.
Old Sep 26, 13, 9:37 pm

Programs: *A Gold (LH SEN), Hertz 5*
I dont really understand the logic of the first debunked myth:

"When the plane is at cruising altitude, it's pressurized. That pressure means that getting a door open would require superhuman strength. "

If I understand correctly: Overpressure inside plane. So If it requires strength to open a door, that can only mean that the door opens to the inside.
I never really deeply thought about this, but do ALL doors / emergency exit hatches open to the inside first?
Would have been a nice addition to this fact :-)
Old Sep 26, 13, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by tfong007 View Post
If the cellphone was really an issue they would ask everyone to check them in . I cannot count the times they I have left it on by accident. Obviously it is not a serious threat or they would actively ensure every single phone on the plane is turned off.
That does not prove anything. It could happen.
Old Sep 26, 13, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by tfong007 View Post
It can cause interference.

Of course you have left your phone on and the plane didn't crash. (Nobody but the pilots on your flight know if it caused any issue for them.)

Pilots have flown drunk and not crashed.

Pilots can handle all kinds of interference and not crash.

You are right about one thing, until cell phone interference can be linked to a crash, they will not be banned. Common sense should tell passengers to turn them off, but, ..... read the comments.

No rational person can deny they decrease the level of safety.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: