DEBUNKED: 10 Airplane Myths That People Still Believe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2013, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
Maybe you should go back to demanding someone prove another negative?
That is exactly the point.

Nobody can ever prove that transmitters can't interfere with electronics.

Do you get it yet?
Old Sep 29, 2013, 1:03 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by telloh

Do you get it yet?
Why do you shun modern medicine? You can't prove it doesn't cause abnormal tire wear. And electricity? Tidal waves. Why do you use computers? You can't show they don't cause Donald Trump. Trumpeting an irrational statement doesn't prove anything. Other than you never studied rhetoric or logic. It just makes you look even sillier.

Let's make it simple for you: no one has claimed X can't ever cause Y. They've simply asked for those saying it can to demonstrate some evidence that it has or that it is a meaningful risk. It's all about risk. And as far as anyone can show, there isn't any. As I said several posts ago, the evidence that does exist indicates that it's a lower risk than bird strike.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 2:14 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, HH Gold, MR Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
I should have thought the burden was on the people epressing the positive claim: that cellphone/PED use would "Doom Us All To Die Instantly From 30,000 Feet!!!!!1!"
Except no one is making that argument.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 3:43 am

Programs: A3,BA
Here is a realistic proposition: prove that cellular phones that exist now or will ever will exist, in any combination, cannot interfere with aircraft systems that exist now, or ever will exist.
Didn't they ever teach you that you can't prove a negative? Demanding they do so just makes you look silly.
Please, don't make false assumptions based on an exaggerated scenario. Of course you can prove negatives (in physics, math,...). And I really hope that nobody taught him that it can't be done. But, this scenario cannot be proven because it has so many ridiculous variables ("ever","any combination",...).

As far as interference, aren't some companies now allow users to switch on mobile phones and send SMS/MMS (IIRC Singapore)?
If that was dangerous to today's planes, would they allow it ?
Maybe, before 30 years, the navigation instruments of the cockpit and/or the cabling was not shielded enough and this was remotely a problem. Maybe it was just fear. Don't know.

Another poster mentioned that all devices should be closed while takeoff, just because you need to have your full attention to the crew. I will second that.

Maybe there is a problem (minor? ) with the "trapped" radiation of the mobile phones trying to search for base, inside a closed metal container (plane).
Is the amount of trapped radiation of 300 mobile phones searching for non-existent base safe? Have you seen any paper on that (please share) ?
If you have a GSM base onboard, the phone will lock and use minimal power for that communication. If you don't, how it will regulate its transmit power ? Will it reach the GSM limit every single time ?
Old Sep 30, 2013, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Why do you shun modern medicine? You can't prove it doesn't cause abnormal tire wear. And electricity? Tidal waves. Why do you use computers? You can't show they don't cause Donald Trump.
LOL on the abnormal tire wear.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 1:06 pm

Do you get it yet?
If this were the standard, then 99.9999% flights would have to be cancelled, since nobody could ever prove that having at least one person on board with a vowel in his or her last name cannot cause a crash.

Last edited by cestmoi123; Sep 30, 2013 at 1:55 pm
Old Sep 30, 2013, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
I would prefer to rely upon the actual manufacturer of the airplane and its electronics than an "advisory panel."
Well, I'll go with the agency charged with regulating that manufacturer, and setting the standards up to which their product is required to live.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Wow, what a funny thread. It is illegal in some places for people to practice medicine without a license, and indeed it is illegal in some places for people to practice engineering without a license. Yet a good many people here are spouting "knowledge" who not only aren't licensed engineers, they don't even have an electrical engineering degree or have passed any level of study in this field. They just blindly state that it is possible for mobile phones to interfere with aircraft.

How about a very simple question. What is the maximum effective isotropic radiated power of a mobile telephone (any mobile telephone) at 1cm? How about 2cm? 5cm? 10cm? 100cm? What is the exponential reduction of power per cm? Can anyone here answer? Anyone at all? No? I didn't think so. Now how about the amount of power it takes to effect a change in the transmission of energy on aircraft quality shielded cables at 1 meter? Anyone? How about cables with faulty shielding? Anyone?

None of you know what the heck you are talking about, so just please stop. Or if you are not capable of quitting this irresponsible behavior, go up to the cockpit on your next flight and tell the pilot how to fly the airplane. Be consistent with your foolishness.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, National Executive

I get people in/dropping by the cockpit often making naive flying related remarks. Nothing new to see here...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.