Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Embarassing Travel Moments

Embarassing Travel Moments

Old Oct 20, 13, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL PM, UA Gold, WN A-List, HH DIA, Hyatt Disc, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai View Post
Coming back from a meeting in Bombay during my first visit to India. I was clenching my buttocks together whilst sweating profusely wondering if I would ever make it back to the hotel. Decided I couldn't and made a beeline for the first restaurant I saw and then it started.......................................
Originally Posted by LordByran View Post
Can't count the number of times I've decided to forgo the lavatory prior to landing, only to immediately regret it and be that guy rushing out of the plane at the gate for the restroom. People must think I'm perpetually late for flights.
Been there, done that

In fact, here's one. When my brother and his then girlfriend (now wife) first moved in together I went to go visit and I had a really bad attack of lactose intolerance. They lived in a tiny apartment with one bathroom which I utterly destroyed. I felt so bad for her.
Old Oct 21, 13, 1:55 am

Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, WoH 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
OK, it's about the embarrassment, right, and some things are embarrassing to the point of not bringing them up? (There or here. And I know I've exceeded my quota.)

BOS-DEN. We arrive at the gate. Everyone gets up, including the couple in front of me. The usual wait. She has a blood spot on the back of her white skirt. There's a matching one on the seat. Both pretty obvious. The poor woman. Say something? Well, she'd probably rather know, and sooner than later. I tap the guy's side with the back of my hand, because it seems easier to approach him. "Yeah?" I try to discreetly look down at the seat. He freaks, in a sort of contained way, but in close quarters all the inside moves are pretty clear. So what was a "situation" becomes DEFCON [Whatever], and he's checking her out like one would a small child. The poor woman! She gets out of her sweater and ties it around her waist, and when we get to the door, the flight attendant lets her into the lav. The guy tries to go in, too, but the lady says no, she'll take care of it herself.

I mentioned this to a lady friend who told me that it happens more than guys will ever know.

An interesting thought (to me): Sometimes something's humiliating to the person who's humiliated, while everyone who's aware is absolutely empathetic.
Old Oct 21, 13, 2:14 am

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
Originally Posted by Firewind View Post
OK, it's about the embarrassment, right, and some things are embarrassing to the point of not bringing them up? (There or here. And I know I've exceeded my quota.)

BOS-DEN. We arrive at the gate. Everyone gets up, including the couple in front of me. The usual wait. She has a blood spot on the back of her white skirt. There's a matching one on the seat. Both pretty obvious. The poor woman. Say something? Well, she'd probably rather know, and sooner than later. I tap the guy's side with the back of my hand, because it seems easier to approach him. "Yeah?" I try to discreetly look down at the seat. He freaks, in a sort of contained way, but in close quarters all the inside moves are pretty clear. So what was a "situation" becomes DEFCON [Whatever], and he's checking her out like one would a small child. The poor woman! She gets out of her sweater and ties it around her waist, and when we get to the door, the flight attendant lets her into the lav. The guy tries to go in, too, but the lady says no, she'll take care of it herself.

I mentioned this to a lady friend who told me that it happens more than guys will ever know.

An interesting thought (to me): Sometimes something's humiliating to the person who's humiliated, while everyone who's aware is absolutely empathetic.
On a long-distance flight, Hubby fell asleep while holding a glass of red wine. On his light-coloured trousers, the resulting wine stain looked like a similar accident to the one above. He, also, covered his rear end with a sweater tied around his waist.
Old Oct 21, 13, 3:01 am

Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, WoH 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
Got off a plane at LGA last year and was engrossed in a text on my phone, tried to walk down an up escalator and made a complete ... of myself including flailing around, dropping phone, yelling expletives etc.
A similar embarrassing moment while on a trip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGpVpsaItpU
Old Oct 21, 13, 9:02 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by t325 View Post
So, I've always wondered - is toilet also the word for the actual thing you go in, or is there another word? If I walked into a home improvement store in the states and asked an employee where the toilets are, I'd be directed to the plumbing department. If I did that in the UK, would they direct me to the plumbing department or the washrooms?
In French, the plural les toilettes means the room. The singular la toilette means the fixture. But I'm sure anyone hearing a foreigner ask for la toilette would direct them to the room containing said fixture. (-:
Old Oct 21, 13, 9:07 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by gobluetwo View Post
I know it's denoted as such on doors and signs, but you wouldn't ask, "Where is the WC" as opposed to actually saying "water closet" would you? Or would you?
Yes, that's what you ask for. As a 9- and later an 11-year-old child touring Europe with my family, I learned that asking any adult "WC?" (pronounced vay-say, regardless of the local language) would reward me with a finger pointing towards the facilities.
Old Oct 21, 13, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Firewind View Post
Along these lines I send a big shout out to the gentleman who was in front of me at a store in the departure lounge at ACC. Thank you for letting me go in front of you in line as I stood there with those items in my hand looking quite uncomfortable (mother nature decided to visit while I was in a small room getting interrogated about my bags by customs - and this was while trying to leave the country).
Old Mar 15, 14, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL PM, UA Gold, WN A-List, HH DIA, Hyatt Disc, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
In Budapest this week I got on the train going the wrong way. I went three stops (I was going to go four total) before thinking "hey, that name doesn't look right". Thankfully, it was on the M3 which meant I could just walk across the platform, wait 5 minutes for the train going back the other way and go. Still made me feel dumb though.
Old Mar 15, 14, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I felt like a VIP and thought I had dressed nicely for the occasion! After checking in at the biz counter quite smugly and bypassing all the queue, including screaming kids in long lines. I was so proud of myself during one of my first visits to the Qantas Lounge on an international flight. After about 2 hours I look down and notice my cardigan is inside out! Sheesh! I asked hubby why he didn't tell me and he said..."aww, I didn't know". He's only been looking at me for 2 hours and said nothing!
Old Mar 15, 14, 4:41 pm

There were two flights to japan leaving from side-by-side gates. I got through security at the gate and one of the ladies asked me if I was going to Nagoya. I said yes without thinking, forgetting that I was actually going to Narita, got through the security gate, sat down and started leisurely putting my shoes back on, rearranging my stuff, etc.. Then a couple of minutes later suddenly realized I was missing my second bag, jumped up in a panic to run back to the security and half the people sitting around me pointed to the other gate where my bag was being helpfully carried towards the wrong flight which was in its final boarding!
Old Mar 15, 14, 6:02 pm

Programs: DL, UA, lotsa hotels
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
In Budapest this week I got on the train going the wrong way. I went three stops (I was going to go four total) before thinking "hey, that name doesn't look right". Thankfully, it was on the M3 which meant I could just walk across the platform, wait 5 minutes for the train going back the other way and go. Still made me feel dumb though.
I had a similar incident after a 9- h red-eye to AMS from the U.S. west coast a couple of years ago. Jet-lagged, I boarded the wrong train on the right platform; didn't look at the destination sign or check the time, just jumped on the first one. I figured out my mistake when the stop announcements came in the train after the doors closed. Got off at the next stop, ran to the other side, hopped on the next train back, ran up and down at AMS back to the same place on the same platform, and made my train with about 1 minute to spare. Then slept on the 2-hr journey and even managed to get off at the right stop!
Old Mar 16, 14, 1:14 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
My first time in italy, about 10 years ago...I went out on a date with this official from the british embassy who took me to this authentic and nice restaurant in Rome...

As it was my first time, he ordered everything for me including prosciutto and this perfectly balled creamy mozzarella on top of it..

I suddenly blurted out "why is vanilla ice cream on my ham!" He and the waiter started laughing and explained everything to me...never felt so uncultured in my entire life
Old Mar 16, 14, 7:16 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Reminds me of the time I went to a Vietnamese restaurant and asked what the circular sheets of hard plastic were for, and also the finger-bowl water is far too hot for washing fingers.

They very kindly explained to us about the very thin rice paper that you dipped in the hot water to make flexible , wrapped round the vegies and meat and made your own spring rolls with...
Old Mar 17, 14, 2:30 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by mandolino View Post
Reminds me of the time I went to a Vietnamese restaurant and asked what the circular sheets of hard plastic were for, and also the finger-bowl water is far too hot for washing fingers.

They very kindly explained to us about the very thin rice paper that you dipped in the hot water to make flexible , wrapped round the vegies and meat and made your own spring rolls with...
Ahhh....the good 'ol finger bowl water....my friend asked me what it was for while dining out, and i told him it's lemon soup that comes with the crabs/prawns we ordered...and he believed me
Old Mar 17, 14, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Annalisa12 View Post
I felt like a VIP and thought I had dressed nicely for the occasion! After checking in at the biz counter quite smugly and bypassing all the queue, including screaming kids in long lines. I was so proud of myself during one of my first visits to the Qantas Lounge on an international flight. After about 2 hours I look down and notice my cardigan is inside out! Sheesh! I asked hubby why he didn't tell me and he said..."aww, I didn't know". He's only been looking at me for 2 hours and said nothing!
You started the thread with this story.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: