Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Embarassing Travel Moments

Old Oct 9, 13, 3:56 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks

Programs: Tri-State Turducken, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Kopaja Platinum
Originally Posted by JVPhoto View Post
When I was flying back HNL-EWR 767 UA Biz1st I went to use the lav, no occupied light on, door opened and I walk in to see a very startled younger woman with a child with gasps from each of us so fast and quick to close the door I couldn't tell if she was changing it, helping it go or breast feeding.
Maybe when she finally locked the door properly she discovered much better lighting inside!
That's why I think safety videos should have a segment showing how to lock the lav door. Obviously, if it's a manual safety demonstration, that won't be as helpful, but it could spare everyone some embarrassment.
Old Oct 10, 13, 9:32 am

Programs: UA Gold
Add Content
Old Oct 10, 13, 9:38 am

Programs: UA silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mandolino View Post
No you wouldn't. You'd ask for toilet and get pointed to a sign saying "WC" . or even "restroom" ... but nobody actually *says* restroom, normally. But the word "toilet" will work most anywhere.
thanks..
Old Oct 12, 13, 3:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, A3 Gold

Wrong flight from Paris. My first tarmac car service experience to get to the right plane.
Old Oct 16, 13, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL PM, UA Gold, WN A-List, HH DIA, Hyatt Disc, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Got off a plane at LGA last year and was engrossed in a text on my phone, tried to walk down an up escalator and made a complete ... of myself including flailing around, dropping phone, yelling expletives etc.
Old Oct 17, 13, 4:39 pm

Programs: A-Club Platinum, Emirates Platinum, Aegean Gold
This happened to me in a hotel in Dubai last week, I am not going to name the establishment lets just say it was a 5* Spa hotel.

Been a tough couple of days so I decided to go for a massage in the spa, after spending about 10 minutes deciding what treatment to have I decided to have the full body massage. Now this is the first time I have ever had a massage at any hotel during my travels so didn't really know what to expect.

So the masseur tells me to strip of and gives me a pair of modesty pants which I put on PDQ. Half way through she rips the pants off and tells me not to be so silly as she has seen it all before.

So the massage comes to an end and I am feeling very relaxed at this point, just as I was getting up to get dressed, she points down to my little friend and asks if I want that taken care of too. At this point I went bright red and managed to stammer..ummmm no thanks before grabbing my clothes and making a fast exit to the changing rooms.

There are plenty more stories I could tell of my time on the road that includes being chased down a corridor and back to my room by lady of the night because I smiled at her in the bar (not knowing who she was and me being a friendly Welshman).

One day I will write a book about my travels I am sure some of the situations I have been in would make even the grumpiest person giggle!
Old Oct 18, 13, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Antdenatale View Post
This happened to me in a hotel in Dubai last week, I am not going to name the establishment lets just say it was a 5* Spa hotel.

So the massage comes to an end and I am feeling very relaxed at this point, just as I was getting up to get dressed, she points down to my little friend and asks if I want that taken care of too. At this point I went bright red and managed to stammer..ummmm no thanks before grabbing my clothes and making a fast exit to the changing rooms.

There are plenty more stories I could tell of my time on the road that includes being chased down a corridor and back to my room by lady of the night because I smiled at her in the bar (not knowing who she was and me being a friendly Welshman).

One day I will write a book about my travels I am sure some of the situations I have been in would make even the grumpiest person giggle!
In Dubai?? Well that's interesting. I did giggle at the time when hubby was offered a 'happy ending' after a massage in Thailand, despite me in the next cubicle! I laughed later when hubby told me about his decline as I gave her tip for doing such a great job! lol
Old Oct 18, 13, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, Singapore Airlines
Originally Posted by pharmalady View Post
DH and I were flying to London to see family. I had purchased business class tickets, and we were seated across from very tall newlyweds who were on their honeymoon. The flight was routine and we had actually fallen asleep when I felt a tap on my shoulder with a very soft-voiced flight attendant asking if I were a physician. With trepidation, I answered yes and she asked me if I could come with her to the business class lavatory. I said yes and we walked to the door. The honeymooning couple had decided to go for the mile high club, not taking into account just how small the lavatories were. Apparently the new husband had a back problem that chose to become worse right as he and the new missus were having at it. The flight attendants, with the help of the first officer, finally opened the door and immediately I suggested that they hold up some blankets for the now-lost modesty of the couple. As you can imagine, every eye in business class and some looking back from first were on this couple and those of us trying to assist. I had my medical kit with me (an antique physician's bag) and I gave the husband 10 mg of diazepam (Valium) to relax and then we pried he and the missus out of the lavatory. They got dressed and calmly went back to their seats, with every passenger in business giving them the snide eye. Thankfully, at least some of the passengers had the decorum to keep their amusement stifled. The lavatory door still worked, but no one would use the space. I will never get over the look of horror on the wife's face as the door came open and she suddenly faced an audience. Oh my.
"look of horror"? Why are people so skittish about other people seeing them in the nude? I don't get this. We're all born naked, for Pete's sake.
Old Oct 18, 13, 11:35 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
So the masseur tells me to strip of and gives me a pair of modesty pants which I put on PDQ. Half way through she
That would be a masseuse then.
Old Oct 19, 13, 8:28 am

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA

I attended a reunion in SIN last year. The hotel that a group of us stayed at included limited complimentary minibar, replenished daily. Included 2 cans of Tiger beer, some water and soft drinks, along with a few Oreo biscuits.
Now, we were out partying every night and the last thing I felt like doing back in my room upon late night returns was consuming the beers. However I figured if I didn't 'use' them they would not be replenished and I would lose out on the deal.
So I decided to stockpile them, in anticipation of us having a big farewell session on the last night (I was staying 7 nights).
Where to store them? I just happened to have the room safe open at the time so decided that was where they would go. Naturally, on about day 4, I mucked up the safe and could not open it (I did have non-beer valuables in there as well).
So I rang down, and they sent a nice man in a suit and carrying an electronic device up to assist me. He pressed a few buttons on the device and the safe opened to reveal...a bunch of cans of Tiger beer threatening to roll out
onto the floor. To his credit he said nothing and his facial expression did not change in any way.
We did have a last night session but could not finish them all so most of what was left was donated to one of our friends living locally.
Old Oct 19, 13, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL PM, UA Gold, WN A-List, HH DIA, Hyatt Disc, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tuapekastar View Post
I attended a reunion in SIN last year. The hotel that a group of us stayed at included limited complimentary minibar, replenished daily. Included 2 cans of Tiger beer, some water and soft drinks, along with a few Oreo biscuits.
Now, we were out partying every night and the last thing I felt like doing back in my room upon late night returns was consuming the beers. However I figured if I didn't 'use' them they would not be replenished and I would lose out on the deal.
So I decided to stockpile them, in anticipation of us having a big farewell session on the last night (I was staying 7 nights).
Where to store them? I just happened to have the room safe open at the time so decided that was where they would go. Naturally, on about day 4, I mucked up the safe and could not open it (I did have non-beer valuables in there as well).
So I rang down, and they sent a nice man in a suit and carrying an electronic device up to assist me. He pressed a few buttons on the device and the safe opened to reveal...a bunch of cans of Tiger beer threatening to roll out
onto the floor. To his credit he said nothing and his facial expression did not change in any way.
We did have a last night session but could not finish them all so most of what was left was donated to one of our friends living locally.
That is an absolutely hilarious story
Old Oct 19, 13, 12:49 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Yep, that is brilliant. I can just imagine it
Old Oct 20, 13, 11:30 am

Programs: SQ Silver | IHG Pt Amb | SPG LTG | HH Gold | GC Jade
Originally Posted by tuapekastar View Post
The look on both of your faces should be priceless
Old Oct 20, 13, 11:34 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG PLT (LT Gold), TK Gold, M&M S, BA Silver, Hyatt Dia
Coming back from a meeting in Bombay during my first visit to India. I was clenching my buttocks together whilst sweating profusely wondering if I would ever make it back to the hotel. Decided I couldn't and made a beeline for the first restaurant I saw and then it started.......................................
Old Oct 20, 13, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA PS, AA GLD, SPG GLD, PC PLT, CC GLD
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai View Post
Coming back from a meeting in Bombay during my first visit to India. I was clenching my buttocks together whilst sweating profusely wondering if I would ever make it back to the hotel. Decided I couldn't and made a beeline for the first restaurant I saw and then it started.......................................
Can't count the number of times I've decided to forgo the lavatory prior to landing, only to immediately regret it and be that guy rushing out of the plane at the gate for the restroom. People must think I'm perpetually late for flights.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: