Reload this Page >

Embarassing Travel Moments

Embarassing Travel Moments

Old Oct 8, 13, 10:09 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
You could brazen it out like this guy .
Old Oct 8, 13, 10:17 am

Programs: DL, UA, lotsa hotels
Exhausted from a 5-day 3-country jaunt around the middle-east & Europe (7 flights I think), I boarded my US return at AMS and realized I"d left my phone & charger plugged in at the boarding area. Panicked, but was not allowed to proceed back up the ramp to retrieve it. Nice FA promised she would have the GA bring it down. Embarrassment: over the intercom, "Will the passenger who left their phone behind please come to the door to retrieve it?" Walk of shame...
Old Oct 8, 13, 10:42 am

Programs: UA silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DrJohn999 View Post
Exhausted from a 5-day 3-country jaunt around the middle-east & Europe (7 flights I think), I boarded my US return at AMS and realized I"d left my phone & charger plugged in at the boarding area. Panicked, but was not allowed to proceed back up the ramp to retrieve it. Nice FA promised she would have the GA bring it down. Embarrassment: over the intercom, "Will the passenger who left their phone behind please come to the door to retrieve it?" Walk of shame...
Reminds me of an experience I had. I was boarding a flight when I witnessed a guy pleading with the GA to let him back on the plane, as he had left his passport on board. GA wouldn't let him as the next flight was already boarding. she also said the FA had looked, but had not found it. I offered to look for it, so he told me his seat number. Turns out the FA didn't find it because he had given the wrong seat - he said something like 12E instead of 12F. I happened to look in all the seatback pockets in that row and did find it. Flashed it to the FA as I got off the plane, up the jetway and handed it back to the guy. He was very appreciative. Nobody else said anything to me about walking on, off, and on again. I think they were just in shock that I went out of my way to help this guy.

Originally Posted by mandolino View Post
"WC" yes; "Water Closet" no.
I know it's denoted as such on doors and signs, but you wouldn't ask, "Where is the WC" as opposed to actually saying "water closet" would you? Or would you?

Of course, in the US, if you asked someone where the "toilet" is, you're liable to get a response of, "In the bathroom..."
Old Oct 8, 13, 1:35 pm

Programs: Too Many to Count
I won't go into any detail, but I advise everyone reading this thread to always double check that the restroom door at, let's just say, the Qantas F Lounge in SYD whilst you may be using it, is indeed locked!
Old Oct 8, 13, 3:44 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
I know it's denoted as such on doors and signs, but you wouldn't ask, "Where is the WC" as opposed to actually saying "water closet" would you? Or would you?
No you wouldn't. You'd ask for toilet and get pointed to a sign saying "WC" . or even "restroom" ... but nobody actually *says* restroom, normally. But the word "toilet" will work most anywhere.
Old Oct 8, 13, 4:54 pm

Years ago just before we got married, my wife's friend gave her a gift (as a joke I hope...) at her bridal shower. Lets just say it is about 8 inches long and battery is optional. For whatever reason my wife decided to take it in her check in luggage for our trip. When our special luggage was selected to go thru hand inspection, my wife magically disappeared and I am left by myself to witness the inspection... When the TSA agent asked "Do you know if there is any object in there that could harm me?" I almost burst out laughing. I have to say he was very professional about it!

Last edited by Need; Oct 8, 13 at 5:00 pm
Old Oct 8, 13, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS, AA EXP 1 MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, Hyatt Gold, Hertz 5Star PC
DH and I were flying to London to see family. I had purchased business class tickets, and we were seated across from very tall newlyweds who were on their honeymoon. The flight was routine and we had actually fallen asleep when I felt a tap on my shoulder with a very soft-voiced flight attendant asking if I were a physician. With trepidation, I answered yes and she asked me if I could come with her to the business class lavatory. I said yes and we walked to the door. The honeymooning couple had decided to go for the mile high club, not taking into account just how small the lavatories were. Apparently the new husband had a back problem that chose to become worse right as he and the new missus were having at it. The flight attendants, with the help of the first officer, finally opened the door and immediately I suggested that they hold up some blankets for the now-lost modesty of the couple. As you can imagine, every eye in business class and some looking back from first were on this couple and those of us trying to assist. I had my medical kit with me (an antique physician's bag) and I gave the husband 10 mg of diazepam (Valium) to relax and then we pried he and the missus out of the lavatory. They got dressed and calmly went back to their seats, with every passenger in business giving them the snide eye. Thankfully, at least some of the passengers had the decorum to keep their amusement stifled. The lavatory door still worked, but no one would use the space. I will never get over the look of horror on the wife's face as the door came open and she suddenly faced an audience. Oh my.
Old Oct 8, 13, 6:29 pm

Programs: CO Gold
Originally Posted by DrJohn999 View Post
didnt happen to me but.......something like that really pissed me off

I am sweating bullets as the plane was late and I was going to misconnect in the US .........like 5 minutes before take off........this girl stands up......and runs outside the plane like crazy....turns out that she left her iphone in the restroom at SJO with all the pics from her trip to Costa Rica (I could have told her that her phone was longgggggg long gone) , this added like 20 mins to our departure and sure enough..........I misconnected big time , nice overnight in DTW
Old Oct 8, 13, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by fracmeister View Post
But after he clears (apparently) my ominous solid masses, he asks if I have a business card. Questions like (what are your companies sales? How many employees do you have? (Questions a VP of a Fortune 100 company might be expected to know.... )

Anyway he eventually cleared me to go after many a photograph of my little exhibits.
What I do for a living, or any other type of that information is of no business to TSA employees, and I tell them so on a regular basis. I would also not allow them to photograph any of my belongings.

Once an item has been cleared to not be a weapon, explosive, or incendiary, the screening process has been completed.
Old Oct 8, 13, 9:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

On a 777 flight in economy (2-5-2 seating) on a pretty empty flight, I was chatting with a fellow FT'er on the flight who was in Business class. He sat in the end seat and I was in the middle of the 5-seat section.

A while later, I noticed he had a blanket over his lap and there appear to be ..... movement.

Conversation faltered after a while, and he returned to his business class seat - leaving the blanket behind.

I picked up another blanket, wrapped the *used* one in it, and pushed it far under the seat.

Then I found a different empty row to sit in.
Old Oct 8, 13, 9:43 pm

Programs: SQ Silver | IHG Pt Amb | SPG LTG | HH Gold | GC Jade
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Another one is to "knock someone up" which means to impregnate them in American but to knock on their door in British.
I for once fall victim for using this phrase wrongly!!! My boss was kind enough to laugh it off and explained that to me
Old Oct 8, 13, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hiltonlondon2009 View Post
I won't go into any detail, but I advise everyone reading this thread to always double check that the restroom door at, let's just say, the Qantas F Lounge in SYD whilst you may be using it, is indeed locked!
When I was flying back HNL-EWR 767 UA Biz1st I went to use the lav, no occupied light on, door opened and I walk in to see a very startled younger woman with a child with gasps from each of us so fast and quick to close the door I couldn't tell if she was changing it, helping it go or breast feeding.
Maybe when she finally locked the door properly she discovered much better lighting inside!
Old Oct 8, 13, 9:45 pm

I've posted mine in past threads but here is a video found on YouTube a while back. As if flying RyanAir is not embarrassing enough.
Old Oct 8, 13, 10:41 pm

Programs: SQ Silver | IHG Pt Amb | SPG LTG | HH Gold | GC Jade
Talking about toilets(or WC or bathroom or whatever it is), ensure you find the right toilet door when you travel to Malaysia.

My bro had once wandered into the wrong door which says "Surau" ...With a male logo on. Obviously not knowing the language he won't know what it means but realisation soon settled when the door was opened... It was a prayer room.
Old Oct 9, 13, 7:24 am
Hvr

Programs: QC WP/OWE, LTG:
Originally Posted by hiltonlondon2009 View Post

One could say the same thing about the cubicle at the CX lounge in PVG. Some poor bloke is probably still gouging his eyes out after his olfactory senses were destroyed.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: