Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Embarassing Travel Moments

Old Sep 21, 13, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by cynicAAl View Post
my husband had a long day of meetings, then a long flight home, and didn't want to fly in his suit, so went into the bathroom stall at the airport to change into jeans and comfortable clothes. He exits the stall to see a woman at the sink, shocked to see him, and she informs him that he's in the ladies room. He argues that she's in the men's room. then another woman exits from another stall. oops.
I did almost exactly the same thing once, but I didn't argue too long when I realised there were no urinals there.

Last edited by erik19283; Sep 21, 13 at 5:29 am
Old Sep 21, 13, 7:51 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Funny moment---one of the many reasons I travel actually. (To get the story, I am American. White, Blonde, 6' 5" tall, 280 lbs.)

At the reclining Buddha in Bangkok, my wife, uncle and I were enjoying our tour. I had been there before, but first for my uncle. A man that appeared local approached me and made a "picture taking" gesture next to his wife. I thought he wanted me to take a photo of his wife and him. "Sure", I said...and reached for the camera from his wife. His wife pulled the camera and backed up. He smiled and put his arm around me. (He barely was taller than my waist.) HE WANTED A PICTURE WITH ME-a giant American. I smiled..photo snapped...and we shook hands. He asked if I was American. He was Indonesian. Great experience. I regret not getting a picture myself, but my wife had the camera in another part of the temple.

Great experience.

Another thing I like to do (not embarrassing) is setting up my chess set in a hotel lounge or lobby etc. Doesn't take long for someone to want to play. I have played chess with people all over the world. In some (many) cases we don't share a word of a common language. Wonderful experiences.
Old Sep 21, 13, 10:15 am

Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, WoH 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Red face

Adhering to jumpdogjump's stricture - only four...

When my wife and I were on our backpack-and-railpass honeymoon, our train pulled into Milano. I got off to look at the yellow panel on the platform just to be sure of which train to be on for our next leg. I confirmed to myself that our train was itself proceeding to Roma. At which point it began to pull out slowly. Official departure was an hour away. My wife, who didn't know what I knew, watched me from the window with full panic look as I waved and smiled, fully confident - for the first 20 minutes or so ... long enough to break a good sweat. When our train finally did back into its departure track, I said to my wife, "See?" It honestly was the first time in our relationship that I saw her livid to the core at me ...

Second - as much as I travel, DB does not. I gave him a trip to Las Vegas. Wrote and sent him all the particulars. He takes the airport bus the hour into SFO, with all the attendant getting to the depot, parking, standing in the epic line at the airport etc., to find out at the counter that the flight is the next day ... I've never ever made such a mistake with my own travel. Will he ever believe that? He drives for a living, and said that having someone else drive so he could look around was a novel enough experience to make the extra trip to the airport an excursion.

Third - pre-9/11 - I arrived at BOS nice and early - but in a fog - for an 0600 hr. USAir flight to BWI for a meeting I was hosting at an airport hotel. On the verge of nodding off in the waiting area. USAir, without my focusing on it, was boarding two flights through doors that were right next to each other. "Baltimore-Washington International" was called. I saw "...Washington..." scroll across in lights above the door through which I boarded. GA wasn't very attentive. I flopped in my seat and was out like a light - flight was light - missing all the announcements. Next, I felt the change in pitch indicating we were on approach, and as we closed in, thought, "This doesn't look right." ... as the flight attendant welcomed us to ... Washington Dulles. I deplaned and quickly called the venue - pre cell phone era - to tell my group that I'd be late. Rented a car, and drove like mad for BWI ... miraculously little traffic on the beltway ... to arrive in time to take my message from the hotel person at the door to my meeting room. When I think about all the places I could have ended up ...

Fourth - back in the day of the UA Concierge - GF and I misconnected at Stapleton at the end of Labor Day weekend. Found a Concierge who worked for a while to get us on the following flight. We didn't know how hard she worked. Got to the gate. Way over-sold. Taking VDBs. With 1K priority, we took a lucrative offer. Sitting there chuffed after the door closed - showing off the magic I could work - when up walked the Concierge ...

Last edited by Firewind; Sep 21, 13 at 10:28 am
Old Sep 21, 13, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Studying in Japan in the 1970s, I was coming to the end of my time there, and since it was before deregulation, finding an affordable one-way flight back to the States was a challenge. (There were rumors that some agencies organized fictitious tours on Korean Airlines to get a low fare.)

Anyway, I was making the rounds of the travel agencies, looking for cheap airfare (unchin). Only I didn't remember the word quite correctly and went around asking for cheap unchi.

I got the strangest responses, either hysterical laughter or pop-eyed amazement. But all agreed that the best deal was the fictitious tours on Korean Airlines.

That evening, I was telling a Japanese student about the day's adventures, and when I mentioned that I had been looking for cheap unchi, he gasped and said "Never say that!"

I asked him what it meant, and he wouldn't tell me.

Once I was home, I got out my unabridged dictionary and learned that unchi was the baby word for...uh, excrement.
-------
My second embarrassment was more recent. I did a grand tour of Scandinavia in 2011 in conjunction with an international family reunion. I decided to take the overnight ferry from Oslo to Copenhagen and made my reservation from home a couple of months in advance.

The last night in Oslo, I took out my reservation form and found, to my horror, that I had made the reservation in the opposite direction, Copenhagen to Oslo. Early on the morning before the intended crossing, I went to the ferry offices and asked if there was any way I could trade a Copenhagen-Oslo reservation for an Oslo-Copenhagen one. Unfortunately, all tickets in that price category, indeed, in all categories except the super-duper high-priced category with gourmet meals, were sold out. Even though they agreed to give me credit for my previous purchase, the price was over my budget.

I trudged back to my hotel, told them that I'd need to stay another night, and then headed to the train station to figure out what my land-based options were. My best land-based option was a 7:00AM train, which was before the breakfast buffet opened, but the hotel kindly packed a ham and cheese sandwich, an apple, and a carton of juice for me to pick up on my way out.

Last edited by ksandness; Sep 21, 13 at 10:09 pm
Old Sep 22, 13, 1:31 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Hands-Free Technology

I had left early in the day, LGA-DFW, DFW-PHX. Drank more than a lot of coffee.

On arrival at PHX, left my carryon with girlfriend and went to the mens room where I took my place in the middle of a crowded bank of urinals.

This was shortly after the Sen. Larry Craig scandal at MSP so my eyes were looking directly at the wall in order to avoid a "misunderstanding."

Nevertheless, we all have peripheral vision and I could not help noticing that the guy at the pissoir on my left was making an unusual amount of motions with both hands. I took a risk, glanced quickly, and saw that he was sending a text on his Sidekick with both thumbs!

Last edited by Landing Gear; Sep 22, 13 at 3:55 pm
Old Sep 22, 13, 3:08 pm

I was waiting at the airline lounge and the bar tender asked me what I would like to drink. I asked for a Martell's and got a blank stare. I tried pointing to it and the agent said oh a Cognak. No its Cognac. A Frenchman was sitting next to me and said to the agent next time learn your bar before you give that look to your customer. It was funny and a bit embarrassing at the same time.
Old Sep 22, 13, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Here are just a few of them.

I posted this in the dumbest travel moments but it was really embaarassing.

My friend and I were traveling to Berlin. We decided to do this weekend at 3PM and the train left at 5PM.

He asks me around Cologne did you write down where we are staying tonight?? Me: "Oh........... (Insert your favorite 4 letter swear word here.) No didn't.." He says ahh don't worry there is wifi on the train. There wasn't any wifi on the ICE.

So once we arrive in Berlin we try using a payphone (that neither of us can figure out how to put it into English) to call my house to have my mom log into my e-mail, turns out she was out walking the puppy.

So Plan B we pay 8 euro's for wifi... Turns out it was across the street...... Once we get in turns out they thought they lost our reservation.... Turns out the computer was on the WRONG DAY!!!! So thankfully they hadn't lost it. WHEW!

If I can ever dig out my journal, I may write about that weekend in the Trip Report forum.

Another one from that trip. My friend and I we're on the overnight train from Munich-Cologne and we had the couchette compartment locked. However somewhere along the route (where I don't have a clue) so my friend and I try to open it. But we can't get it open, so the Conductor/Sleeping Car Porter OPENS the door by force and sure enough it breaks the lock.... We felt like idiots because it should be easy to unlock....

So once Monday came around and class was in session the professor asked how was our weekends. Once he came to us, we only could say "What an adventure."

Here's my real embarassing one. I was traveling from ORD-DEN-ABQ on UA in 1994 (I was 4) for a vacation with my parents. My Dad was a 1K back then so he had an RCC membership. I needed to go to the bathroom at Stapleton and he told my mom "Oh he can wait until we go to the RCC." When he was checking into the RCC I took a #1 in my pants. The CSA who was working the desk's jaw dropped in shock. I don't blame him one bit. So my mom changes me in the RCC bathroom's BUT she forgot to pack an extra pair of socks.... So I had to wear wet socks from DEN-ABQ.

Last edited by CubsFanJohn; Sep 22, 13 at 4:48 pm
Old Sep 22, 13, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
my son (age 22) had gone by car with a bunch of friends to Myrtle Beach, and wanted to spend the weekend visiting a college friend in Miami before flying back to DC ... when I looked for his MIA-IAD flight I saw the "last seat at this fare" message and booked it on the spot, then started looking for MYR-MIA/FLL/PBI ... found an 815am Spirit flight into PBI for $103, he was ok with calling a taxi at 6-615 in case none of his friends were available to take him to the airport on Fri morning

I really wasn't surprised to get the "I missed my flight" call at 730, and told him to get to the airport anyway in case the flight was delayed for weather or maintenance ... but then I got a call at 8 saying the airline didn't have his reservation (had he been there 5 min earlier they could have sold him a seat, but it was now less than 15 min to departure ... he was NOT happy)

I got him on US (MYR-CLT-PBI; surprisingly, under $300) at 930 ... in digging back thru emails we discovered that I'd booked the original NK res for Mon (the day he was actually flying MIA-IAD)
Old Sep 22, 13, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Originally Posted by jumpdogjump View Post
I'd like to place a ban in advance on any cellphone-fishing-out-of-toilet stories, which we all have been embarrassed by, some of us numerous times

(to clarify, it was funny for a short time when I dropped my wife's phone...)
I did that once expect I fished mine out of a Urinal............. Don't ask........ I was visiting a friend at U of I. Thankfully I was due for an upgrade.
Old Sep 24, 13, 7:40 am

Woke to use the bathroom still mostly asleep and ended up a ways down the hallway of the Renaissance hotel in my underwear before realizing my mistake
Old Sep 24, 13, 10:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by lancebanyon View Post
Woke to use the bathroom still mostly asleep and ended up a ways down the hallway of the Renaissance hotel in my underwear before realizing my mistake
But did you have your key card? Or did you have to slither down to the front desk trying not to be seen? And were they boxers or tighty-whiteys?
Old Sep 25, 13, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
But did you have your key card? Or did you have to slither down to the front desk trying not to be seen? And were they boxers or tighty-whiteys?
My wife was still in the room. Black boxer briefs. I've now heard of others who did the same and did have to go the desk
Old Sep 25, 13, 10:10 am

Wow I am surprised no one here has yet to share a story about asking for toilet paper in a language you don't speak. Happened to me a handful of times and I could never find a way to do it without completely embarrassing myself in public.

That being said, there was one time on a TATL flight in Y where I had the tray table down and a double of some whiskey. I planned on nursing it as I was really fatigued but not sleepy. Surprisingly, after my first sip I started feel a little drowsy and went into a "half-sleep" of some sort. Well, I had my hand wrapped around the cup and when I jerked, it was in a motion like splashing a cup of water onto your face. It caused a huge mess and the people around me just... well...
Old Sep 25, 13, 2:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
My wife was still in the room. Black boxer briefs. I've now heard of others who did the same and did have to go the desk
Too bad, would have made for a funnier story if you'd been alone
I sleep like the dead so if that had been my husband, his knocking would never have woken me up. He would have had to do the walk of shame, which, if you knew him, he would have died of embarrassment. Not for being in his boxer briefs (he's Italian, so nudity is no big deal) but having to admit to the FD what had happened.
Old Sep 25, 13, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by pkoo View Post
Wow I am surprised no one here has yet to share a story about asking for toilet paper in a language you don't speak. Happened to me a handful of times and I could never find a way to do it without completely embarrassing myself in public.
Learned my lesson after the first experience - don't go anywhere without a small roll of toilet paper or kleenex in my purse or backpack.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: