Rant: To Mr. L - Seated in First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat
That was a really mean man. I never have problems sitting next to lap infants. I know the parents have a difficult job and I will not make it harder for them.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Diamond (no I will not use the new name), Marriott/ SPG lt Plat, JPM Reserve, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by WBrinegar
There's a difference between a 22 month old and an infant. And I've had flights of complete parental failure as well - but no way would I demand that someone be reseated. I'd take the hit, and do it quietly.
I've been seated by children plenty of times, 80% of the time they make no more noise than your average passenger and 20% of the time I suffer in silence. I will note that it typically appears to be parental failure when they are misbehaving.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mduell
And puke. Oh the puke. Puke everywhere.
Well, it wasn't everywhere: there was just one puke on this flight...in seat 1K.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:25 pm

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
And the worse part of these kids in FC is the self-righteous parents

This post is a prime example of passive aggressive. I'm glad the guy told them to move.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:44 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by mduell
I'm not willing to give infants the benefit of the doubt when they're in the seat next to me. Too many bad experiences with the sprogs and their parents.

And puke. Oh the puke. Puke everywhere.

I'd ask the purser about being reseated.
There's a difference between discretely asking the purser to be reseated and acting like a complete jerk and making a big scene like this person did.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
IME (having extensive personal experience traveling with young children) you would be better off next to a infant (1-12mo) than a toddler (1-3 yrs). The former tend to sleep when they aren't feeding, the latter can be quite challenging as they don't understand why they have to stay seated, not kick etc. ad a challenge to keep entertained due to short attention span. Regardless, behavior is always a wild card - some infants and toddlers are easy travelers, some not. Most do better solo without siblings, I've seen parents often get spread too thin particularly with very young children.

Because my wife is beautiful, non-conforontational and cooperative. She does what she's asked to do. "Stuff it" isn't in her vocabulary.

She's a better person than I am - I would have had him removed from the plane.
I am unclear as to how the seat move occurred. Did the FA ask your wife to move, or did she spontaneously volunteer? I don't think an FA has ever asked me to move in F seats.

Originally Posted by invisible
I have a feeling that this thread is going towards 'kid hater', 'screamer' and other name calling quite soon...
In before the lock
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:47 pm

Programs: VX Silver, UA Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by steve4031
This post is a prime example of passive aggressive. I'm glad the guy told them to move.
I'm curious why the offended passenger couldn't have been the one to move? From what I understand, forgive me, English is my second language, but the passenger-airline contract represented by the ticket says nothing about agreeing not to seat you next to children. Just because I don't like you doesn't give me a right to force you from your seat if you are in no way infringing upon my rights.

If you don't like sitting next to children, that's your prerogative--I myself often give the stink eye to kids and their parents who kick the back of my seat, but it seems to me the proper thing to do is ask the FA to be reseated or ask the mother, politely to ensure said child is quiet and not infringing on your seat space.

Airplanes are like restaurants: people are either on their best or worst behavior.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold

Obvioulsy a different flight - but you get the idea...
What an angel!!!

Seems like on a long boring flight it would be fun sometimes to have small kids on board. One time I played catch with a boy about your daughter's age. I guess it is all attitude. Yes, if the kid is screaming and crying all the way it can be annoying. But she looks like she would probably be the one who walks through the cabin saying HI to everyone!
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by steve4031
Just curious - do you know what "passive-aggressive" means?
Old Sep 4, 2013, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, MM, AMEX Plat, Hertz 1, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I am unclear as to how the seat move occurred. Did the FA ask your wife to move, or did she spontaneously volunteer? I don't think an FA has ever asked me to move in F seats.
FA approached my wife after about 15 minutes of 1K sighing and grumbling and getting up and down and told my wife that she needed to reseat my wife and child because another passenger was having a bad day and needed a window seat, and asked her to move to another seat three rows back. My wife of course can see right through this - but then had to gather up all her items she had placed in her seat area (iPad, cups, snacks, books, toys) two bags, and a child. Relocated PAX never opened the window.

1K should have been relocated instead.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA 1/MM SPG gold, CEO: Grandmother of 4
Oh...what a cutie, wished I was her seatmate. What does Mr.L do if someone has bad breath or snoring or many other problems we put up with? Mr.L must be perfect! FA clearly should have changed Mr. L seat. You go, cutie, hope to see you on one of my flights!!
Old Sep 4, 2013, 1:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Often1
Remember that the "class" in First Class doesn't refer to the pax, just a cabin designator.
Seriously.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 1:10 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Sounds like the man described by the OP decided from the get go that this was going to be a terrible experience and his attitude more or less made that happen.

In fairness, it's possible to have a very negative experience with toddlers and the man in question may have had one. One of my friends is a brilliant man with two toddlers who are as nice and smart as can be. However, they are VERY rambunctious. My friend simply does not feel the need to rein in his kids. Sitting next to kids like that for 3 hours would be a chore, pleasant as they are. I like to see them, but I am always glad when they go home. Maybe the man sat next to kids like that on a flight and simply assumed that all toddlers are going to behave that way? I'm not defending him, just trying to explain his behaviour...

FWIW the "offender" looks like an absolute sweetie-pie... I'd be happy to be seated next to her in my travels!
Old Sep 4, 2013, 1:12 pm

Thanks for being a great set of parents, our children were often unfairly judged as well and I didn't like it either. The few relatively few poor parents out there who fly give the rest of us a bad reputation.

A plane ticket, even an expensive plane ticket, only buys you a seat. Any other expectation is simply incorrect unless you've specifically paid for one of the few flights with a "child-free" zone.

Good for your wife for taking the high road. It's a good example to set for your kids. They will also have to deal with jerks who are ignorant about civil behavior and their own reasonable expectations.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FA approached my wife after about 15 minutes of 1K sighing and grumbling and getting up and down and told my wife that she needed to reseat my wife and child because another passenger was having a bad day and needed a window seat, and asked her to move to another seat three rows back. My wife of course can see right through this - but then had to gather up all her items she had placed in her seat area (iPad, cups, snacks, books, toys) two bags, and a child. Relocated PAX never opened the window.

1K should have been relocated instead.
Perhaps I missed something, here. Was 1K assigned 1L and your wife and daughter had taken a seat to which they were not assigned? Or had 1K simply wanted 1L? I'm confused.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.