Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Flights between 2 airport that no other Flyertalker has ever done

Flights between 2 airport that no other Flyertalker has ever done

Old Sep 4, 2013, 2:36 am

Programs: TK Elite+, HIlton Diamond, Delta Gold, Marriott Silver
ECN (Lefkose, Cyprus) to ADA (Adana, Turkey) on now defunct Cyprus Turkish Airlines (KTHY).
Old Sep 4, 2013, 2:49 am

HGH-XIY (Hangzhou-Xi'an) - not so exotic, anyone taken it yet?
Old Sep 4, 2013, 3:17 am

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
I once did South Bend Indiana to Chicago. I was the only one on the flight, so the flight attendant did a drink service for the very short flight. (I'm sure others have done it, but I only did because I had flight benefits at the time, so it was free) However, as the train goes straight from South Bend to the loop faster than the flight plus cab, I can't imagine many people not connecting in ORD.
I also did UA's SFO-OAK a few times. (Those flights were always full of non-revs.)
Old Sep 4, 2013, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by born sleepy
Once on UX, too bad they stopped that flight. Nice drive up PCH...
... at least the Palos Verdes Drive part of it ...

Originally Posted by born sleepy
SNA-TVL on an Air California Electra ...
beautiful flight -- Mar 77; hadn't been on a plane in three months, so one Sat morning I got my flying fix: took the sunrise flight LAX-Sacramento (Western 720B), connected to UA up to Reno, shuttle bus up to Tahoe, local bus as far as it went, and walked the rest of the way to the airport to get the late afternoon OC flight back to SNA

actually that SMF-RNO segment is probably worth tossing out there for my contribution to the "least common" contest; and I'll add SNA-SAN on a Dash Air Piper Navajo in 1984 as well
Old Sep 4, 2013, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
a couple more contenders:

CLE-MFD-CLE turn on a deHaviland Heron (Dec 75; part of a three-week "Liberty Fare" odyssey on AL to visit college friends -- but more importantly to sample everything in the AL fleet, and as I recall this was the only route where they operated the Heron)

DCA-LEX-EVV, Eastern 727-100, Dec 73

CGX (Meigs Field, think the original Microsoft Flight Simulator)-CAP-ENL-MDH, Air Illinois HS-748, Jun 74

SDF-LEX-ROA, Piedmont YS-11, Jun 74

PDX-SLE, United 727-100, Jun 80
Old Sep 4, 2013, 5:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *G, EY Gold, AZ CFP (ST E+). Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by B7e7US
It's a short but beautiful ride. The scenic landing in Lijiang is amazing.
Did CKG-LJG and LJG-CTU, both being pretty much midnight departure/arrival, so didn't have any bird's eye view
Old Sep 4, 2013, 5:38 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by hawklx
Did CKG-LJG and LJG-CTU, both being pretty much midnight departure/arrival, so didn't have any bird's eye view
Yeah, mine was a night flight as well, so I missed the views.

On the plus side, I had plenty of them by bike and train afterwards. Yunnan really is a great place to visit.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:04 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.3M, AA Lifetime Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis First
Originally Posted by Sjoerd
Which of your flights from A to B (on a scheduled commercial flight that is (or was) bookable by all) is so uncommon that you expect no other Flyertalker has ever flown this route?

I'll start: RTM to CFN: Rotterdam to Donegal which was a weekly scheduled route on VLM Airlines (merged with Cityjet in 2010) during the summer of 2008 operated on Fokker 50s.

FRA- THR - Frankfurt - Tehran. Lived in Iran from 75-78 as a kid.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 8:51 am

Programs: united, american, alaska
Originally Posted by polarpacific
1997 -- ARN (Stockholm) to KRN (Kiruna) and then connection by dog sled to Jukkasjarvi for a stay at the original Ice Hotel.

2007 -- CXH (Vancouver Harbour) to YWS (Whistler Mountain)

2009 -- YYG (Winnipeg) to YYQ (Churchill) to see wild polar bears.

2010 -- PNH (Phnom Penh) to REP (Siem Reap) to see Angkor Wat.
I've done YYG to YYQ. Just that direction, as I returned by train. It was on Calm Air, before they were absorbed into AC.

I've also flown IKT (Irkutsk) to/from KYZ (Kyzyl) on a Yak-40.

Plus BKO (Bamako) to TOM (Timbuktu), via MZI (Mopti) on Air Mali Express.

And MOQ (Morondova) to MXM (Morombe) on Air Madagascar.

My first trip to Europe (in 1980) involved a flight from JFK to OST (Ostend, Belgium) on Van Hoek Airlines, but that was technically a charter.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar
I once did South Bend Indiana to Chicago. ...
I'd forgotten about that one ... Aug 82, Republic Airlines; actually booked BOS-DTW-ORD to take the Convair 580 via SBN
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Watson Lake, BC to Ft. Nelson, BC - CP Air 737-200 June 1979
Cortez, CO to Farmington, NM - Frontier CVR-580 August 1973
Casper, WY to Sheridan, WY - Western 737-200 August 1976
St. Petersburg, FL to Orlando, FL - Florida Express BAC-111 October 1984
Modesto, CA to Stockton, CA - Pacific Express BAC-111 August 1973
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:11 pm

I'm pretty sure no one else has flown at least some of these:

Akureyri (AEY) - Grimsey (GRY) and vv
Reykjavik (RKV) - Bildudalur (BIU) and vv
Akureyri (AEY) - Manchester (MAN) and vv
Keflavik (KEF) - Las Palmas (LPA) and vv
Palma de Mallorca (PMI) - Faro (FAO)
Keflavik (KEF) - Palma de Mallorca (PMI)
Faro (FAO) - Keflavik (KEF) and vv
Keflavik (KEF) - Verona (VRN) and vv

Nr. 1 was flight FNA 536/537 aboard Norlandair's DHC 6-300 Twin Otter just for the heck of it and to log the "Twotter".

Nr. 2 was aboard Landsflug's (formerly Islandsflug) Dornier 228 a couple of times to visit relatives who live on the Westfjords.

Nr. 3 was part of an epic Keflavik - Akureyri - Manchester - Paris CDG vv trip on 757 TF-FIR (which at the time was with Loftleidir but now flies for Icelandair under the name Askja). AEY - MAN was the only regular flight there (Man Utd supporters from AEY going to Old Trafford) but we hitched on at KEF, first for the positioning flight and then onto CDG where the plane sat for 5 days (for minor maintenance checks IIRC). Blasting out of AEY's relatively short runway was awesome! Also, on MAN - CDG - MAN me and my family (we're 5) had the whole plane for ourselves! Me and my brother even got to sit in the jumpseat on arrival at MAN.

Nr. 4 is a pretty standard Icelandic charter but I doubt many FT'ers have flown it!

Nr. 5 was part of a KEF - PMI - FAO routing on the upper deck Business Class aboard Air Atlanta's 747-200. Was awesome! I don't think any airlines have operated regular Palma de Mallorca - Faro flights.

Nr. 6 same as nr. 5 above.

Nr. 7 return on the same trip plus 2 later trips, all on FI 757s.

Nr. 8 is a weekly ski-charter flown in the winter for VITA Trips. I've taken it 4 or 5 times at least, once I even got FI's sole 757-300 (TF-FIX).

Those are all I can remember at the moment, although I feel I'm forgetting some more Icelandair charters.

Regards
Sveinn

Last edited by SRQKEF; Sep 5, 2013 at 5:03 pm Reason: Didn't see the only bookable flight rule
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:31 pm

Programs: LH SEN* ; Lifetime Ivory Member AF
UTAPAO-VIENNA
UTP-VIE

When the riot take over the BKK airport in 2006 many flight was cancelled but OS continued his service to a military airport.
No security, check-in in dowtown Bangkok and then bus for 2 hours directly to the gate.

Funny..

04DEC AUSTRIAN UTAPAO VIENNA 2355 0525 DURATION
THU OS 26 J VIENNA INTL 05DEC 11:30
BUSINESS CLASS NON STOP
NON SMOKING
BOEING 777-200/200ER
MEAL
BREAKFAST
RESERVATION CONFIRMED
Old Sep 4, 2013, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by cfwolfs

AMS-MST Amsterdam-Maastricht, no longer served by KLM Cityhopper
Have done this one and the reverse routing. Not as an add-on to an international destination but more as an opportunity to take the last scheduled domestic flight in the Netherlands.

Have also done EIN-AMS as a domestic and done EIN-LGW and EIN-LCY before they got scrapped. Wonder if anyone's done EIN-LHR as that's one that I missed and would have loved to have flown.

Last edited by evanderm; Sep 4, 2013 at 10:01 pm
Old Sep 4, 2013, 9:59 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mat_bkk
UTAPAO-VIENNA
UTP-VIE

When the riot take over the BKK airport in 2006 many flight was cancelled but OS continued his service to a military airport.
No security, check-in in dowtown Bangkok and then bus for 2 hours directly to the gate.

Funny..

04DEC AUSTRIAN UTAPAO VIENNA 2355 0525 DURATION
THU OS 26 J VIENNA INTL 05DEC 11:30
BUSINESS CLASS NON STOP
NON SMOKING
BOEING 777-200/200ER
MEAL
BREAKFAST
RESERVATION CONFIRMED
2008, I believe it was (unless it happened TWICE). I was scheduled on a BKK-HKG with CX, but got a taxi to Hat Yai and a couple of buses to KL (through Penang) to fly KUL-HKG. Not that I liked Thailand before that...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.