Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Beware this "extra luggage" rort.

Old Aug 30, 13, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Gold Elite
Thumbs down Beware this "extra luggage" rort.

Yesterday we flew BCN to AMS with Vueling a trip arranged through BYO travel in Australia.

Because we were contemplating buying "extras" like wine and shoes I inquired about the cost of buying extra baggage allowance through BYO Travel. I was told each extra bag over the one allowed per person would cost A$28 so we elected to buy two more bags at 23kg each.

When we were checking in the check in clerk went on about how even though we had purchased 2 extra bags we were still only entitled to a total weight per person of the original 23kg each so between us a total weight of all luggage of 46kg. Any weighing over that would be at a cost of 12 euros per extra kilo no matter how many extra bags we had purchased. However because we had purchased the extra baggage he would overlook the extra charges.

I drilled down to get clarification by asking if we had purchased 10 extra bags would we only be entitled to have 2.3 kg in each bag which he affirmed was the case.

To be honest I was thinking to myself this is BS and the guy is trying to get a backhander for being so kind to us. I thanked him profusely for being so kind and left thinking I had to get to the bottom of his story.

I wrote to BYO and got a prompt reply apologizing for any inconvenience but that yes indeed in the small print it was confirming what the check in clerk had told me. They offered to refund the extra charges I had paid which I have accepted based on the fact I do not like paying for bad value items.

The thing is suppose this guy had a bad day and was looking to punish someone for it and exercised his right to charge us. We calculated that we would have been up for another 30 times 12 euros being 360 euros plus the fact we had already paid BYO A$56 or 38 euros almost 400 euros for what?

I still can't accept that what they do is legal. It is definitely not moral.

Emails are available to confirm this.

Last edited by plimflya; Aug 30, 13 at 6:07 am Reason: clarify the title
Old Aug 30, 13, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds silly to me.

What's a rort?
Old Aug 30, 13, 4:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Australian/New Zealand slang for 'scam'
Old Sep 2, 13, 7:17 am

I always wondered how my relative spent 200E on extra luggage...
This explains it now

It definitely is a big scam, and things like "max weight" shouldn't be in the fine print but actually crystal clear.

I guess those guys at the airport must be used to the complaining and it doesnt mean that they enforce or like that rule anyhow.
You're still right, what if he didnt like your face and made you pay?
Old Sep 2, 13, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by NeverFirst View Post
Australian/New Zealand slang for 'scam'
It's not slang. It's a legal term. "Scam" is slang.
Old Sep 2, 13, 12:30 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Is this not fairly commonplace? I've definitely seen it on other airlines' websites - and it has always been very clear. No idea if Vueling are so clear about it or not, but I do agree that they certainly should be, as it would be easy for the 'layman' to misinterpret what was actually being sold.
Old Sep 2, 13, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by Tshoobaka View Post
It definitely is a big scam, and things like "max weight" shouldn't be in the fine print but actually crystal clear.
how is something in writing (even if in a smaller font) a scam ?
Old Sep 2, 13, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by Scots_Al View Post
Is this not fairly commonplace? I've definitely seen it on other airlines' websites - and it has always been very clear. No idea if Vueling are so clear about it or not, but I do agree that they certainly should be, as it would be easy for the 'layman' to misinterpret what was actually being sold.
I think the problem is that (as it was described) the third party sold them one thing while the airline offers something else. Personally, I've never seen an airline offer "additional bags but not total weight".

If BYO in Oz sold them additional bags and weight then they're on the hook for it because they were the ones that got it wrong or misrepresented it to the buyer. If BYO did get it right on what they were selling & the buyer simply didn't notice (and in Oz law it must be clear, not hidden in the fine print) then the buyer is fresh out of luck. The airline isn't on the hook either way.
Old Sep 2, 13, 6:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Sounds like a bad TA. This is the stuff TA's are there for and the TA misled OP by not telling him that the extra bags didn't mean extra weight.

Fine print is print.
Old Sep 2, 13, 6:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Veuling = LCC. Caveat emptor.