Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Pass re-design

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2013, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Building a Better Boarding Pass

A designer has thought about the most logical layout of a boarding pass and has come up with some ideas:

"I never understood why boarding passes are not laid out chronologically,” says Glynn-Finnegan. “It seems obvious. You are on a journey with a clear beginning and a clear ending. It always baffled me why the rest of the information didn’t fit into that timeline clearly."

http://www.wired.com/design/2013/09/...slideid-247201
Old Sep 26, 2013, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Certainly seems better. The biggest issue is that there are a ton of numbers, letters, etc on a boarding pass and it becomes a jumble anytime you need a quick glance. I really appreciate the Passbook boarding passes on the iPhone for the sake of displaying less information, and only what is applicable to me. Anyone who needs anything more will have to scan it and then only gets info applicable to them.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 5:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
If it is sequential the passenger should be first, as they will use it from beginning to end. Make it easy for Kettles.

Then TSA, then the airline.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Originally Posted by Gamecock
If it is sequential the passenger should be first, as they will use it from beginning to end. Make it easy for Kettles.

Then TSA, then the airline.
Personally I'd aim to make it easiest for the TSA (snarky speculation redacted). Anything to speed things up at security checkpoint.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 10:05 pm

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
There's a thread on this already... and apparently Wired used this guys images.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...re-design.html
Old Sep 30, 2013, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by Fornebufox
Personally I'd aim to make it easiest for the TSA (snarky speculation redacted). Anything to speed things up at security checkpoint.
That which was designed as a hiring program shall not be simplified, sped up, or made to be more efficient.

Besides, aesthetic design won't help teach a pig to sing.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 6:51 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Why hasn't anyone mentioned the size of the boarding pass. We're long past the time when we need such big boarding passes, as most of the time they're not kept by the airline. The stub should be enough. I know it's an industry standard, but it's one that can change .
Old Sep 30, 2013, 11:48 am

Programs: Independent
I commend the effort, and suppose I like the idea of trying to simplify the boarding pass, but... I am not sure it's really improving things or making it worse. Boarding passes are really a compromise document by nature - it has to work for many people in many different situations with often unknown or vague data. You can optimize it better for one group, but at the expense of another. And I am concerned that some information that may look senseless to one person is really important to another (or that looks vital is really useless). I mean, look what happened when DL tried to change theirs - there was a lot of problems and adjustments, an a lot of fixing.

Personally, I would like to better focus on signage and information int eh airport itself first, and maybe information availability from the airlines, before worrying about a minor document.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 12:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by Fornebufox
A designer has thought about the most logical layout of a boarding pass and has come up with some ideas:

"I never understood why boarding passes are not laid out chronologically,” says Glynn-Finnegan. “It seems obvious. You are on a journey with a clear beginning and a clear ending. It always baffled me why the rest of the information didn’t fit into that timeline clearly."
http://www.wired.com/design/2013/09/...slideid-247201
Chronologically makes no more sense than using an "event sequence" method. Take the LH re-design. It's crap. The original link did explain why it was laid out that way and provided a series of nice graphics on the layout structure, but when you glance at the finished idea that structure is completely lost and the info is just as sprayed around as any other pass. Why would anyone (who knows anything about user interface design) use three different font colours on the top "TSA" section? For eg. Is this really easier to read at a glance?

Every time you change font colour you force the reader (mentally) to run a check for continuity and relevance to earlier info. It's all that much more time and mental fatigue. I don't know about you, but even half a second of extra time is too much with TSA, and I'm pretty certain that causing them increased mental fatigue is not good for them.

Almost all the designs are the same: they're simply layout style changes and they all rely on linear segmentation, not actually trying to present the information differently. The only actual exception IMO is the Air NZ flight record (it's not actually one of their boarding pases, although they do look similar) where they have broken it up into segments in a way that makes the segments actually visually meaningful. Of all of them, that's the only one that shows any progress. The rest are just moving the chairs about on the deck.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA,DL,WN
Originally Posted by ScatterX
That which was designed as a hiring program shall not be simplified, sped up, or made to be more efficient.

Besides, aesthetic design won't help teach a pig to sing.
^
Old Jan 16, 2014, 8:03 pm

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
Originally Posted by arjunrc
Someone should write an app in the interim that lets you point your camera on the boarding pass and in real time translates the information as easy to read directions (along with potential value add - like say directions to the gate). I can see this being useful for elderly folks who have smartphones, but are not comfortable with taking well focussed photos - apps like wordlens don't require you to take a photo, just point the camera and the translation happens in real time. Of course, this can only work if the real time translation is accurate and doesn't direct the hapless person to A75 instead of A57...
This one gets you halfway there - although I don't think it gives "directions"!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/barc...504201315?mt=8

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.