Search

Do you travel for fun by yourself?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2013, 3:05 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver

Anyone travel for fun not with a significant other, family, or friends, but by yourself? If so, where do you go and what do you do?
Old Aug 25, 2013, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
All the time. Being single probably helps this a bit.

Same things I would do if I had friends along.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 3:29 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue, IHG Gold

My OH gets sick of air travel after a while. If I fancy a trip ill burn some miles just for fun
Old Aug 25, 2013, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP/CK, SPG LT Platinum(RIP), Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle

I travel all over the planet solo.. it's a lot of fun.. great way to meet new people and make new friends.. some who end up being long term friends..even end up meeting them in entirely new places.. I highly recommend it.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 3:36 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
In my experience, if I travel with a girlfriend, my trip tends to cost at least double
Old Aug 25, 2013, 4:10 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I'm never hesitant about going up to a stranger and introducing myself, but I think you guys are on another level of good with new people. What do you do, just go up to someone at the bar and start a conversation?
Old Aug 25, 2013, 4:39 pm

Programs: Too Many to Count
Absolutely. All the time. Well over 60 days per year...made up on dozens of 2-4 day weekends. Over the last year:

Istanbul
New York - twice
Portland, ME
Seattle
Portland, OR
Dublin
Austin
Boston
Buenos Aires
etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

I enjoy traveling solo more than going with others. It gives me freedom to be exactly what I want, do exactly what I want to do, and a chance to reflect on many things in life.

Programs: AS 75k, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, National EE
I've been happily married for almost 18 years, with 2 beautiful children. I love to travel with them, but sometimes I need to just get away somewhere far - both physically distant and psychologically or culturally distant. So every other year I pick a remote place, figure out how to get there as cheaply as possible, and travel solo for 1-2 weeks. It's incredibly recharging, and an essential part of our relationship (she does something similar, but not by herself...usually with her sister).

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Been travelling solo since 2002. All over Europe, Mexico, Tanzania, Cambodia, Sri Lanka, Israel, Jordan, Guatemala, Nicaragua, and a ton of domestic weekend getaways. Going solo to Santa Fe next weekend. I use hotel points for domestic travel. On the bigger international trips, I like private rooms in hostels where I'm likely to connect with other travelers.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
90% of the time I am traveling alone...but, with that said where I am going I may end up running into some people I know or saying hi or a quick drink when in their city (aka in Montreal now for 3 nights).
I like to do what I want, when I want and where I want. But yah, single life helps!
Old Aug 25, 2013, 4:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
In my experience, if I travel with a girlfriend, my trip tends to cost at least double
How do you keep it so low? When I travel with my DW it triples the cost!
Old Aug 25, 2013, 4:59 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by Gamecock
How do you keep it so low? When I travel with my DW it triples the cost!
No kidding last time my wife and I went to Europe we brought home a new car!! Oh wait that is why went - cause it "saved" us money. Hahahaha

As for OP's question when I was single I did a fair amount of solo traveling. Had a great time meeting and traveling with other folks. Today I often make time in my work travel to spend time seeing new places. It is typically solo sometimes a colleague will join me but rarely.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I have gone interstate alone in a day a few times when I am bored and my ex was not available. I've gone SYD to YVR and SYD to LAX alone a couple of times. My new hubby has a lot more time on his hands and loves travel AND shopping so I never go alone these days.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 6:24 pm

I love solo travel! Sometimes it's fun to stay at hostels or meet tons of people by going out. Other times, it's fun to just keep to yourself and splurge on a nice hotel room. Solo travel is nothing to be afraid of and I enjoy it.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 6:30 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Another to the list - all the time.

I have been all over the world and around my home country alone. To be fair, I am usually pretty engaged in serious photography wherever I travel and that can be pretty boring for a companion. If I am with someone significant (not just a photo buddy,) I cut way down on shooting and enjoy the time together.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.