Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Busiest flight corridors

Busiest flight corridors

Old Aug 25, 2013, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Thai Gold, UA, AA, SWA
Busiest flight corridors

Came across this map showing the busiest flight corridors in the world (TwistedSifter.com). I was just surprised that the East Asia is the busiest. Would have thought Europe would be busier. What do you say.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 1:06 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Interesting indeed.

But since the description of Travel News is

Link to and discuss the latest travel news articles.
and there is neither news article nor link, I'll send this interesting statistic to Travel Buzz while leaving a 30-day re-direct in Travel News.

Thanks,

cblaisd
Moderator, Travel News
Old Aug 25, 2013, 1:10 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Europe and Japan have rail. In the US, DC, Philadelphia, New York, and Boston are connected by rail too, albeit not as fast as Europe or Japan.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 4:50 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Pairs like MEL-SYD and JNB-CPT are large centres with not much population density in between and not many other large urban options within short-haul flying distance. They both have rail connections but flying is the only sensible option.

It's not just that they have rail in Europe - it is much more multi-nodal.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 6:51 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, QF, VA
Originally Posted by Wiirachay
Europe and Japan have rail. In the US, DC, Philadelphia, New York, and Boston are connected by rail too, albeit not as fast as Europe or Japan.
+1

Originally Posted by mandolino
Pairs like MEL-SYD and JNB-CPT are large centres with not much population density in between and not many other large urban options within short-haul flying distance. They both have rail connections but flying is the only sensible option.

It's not just that they have rail in Europe - it is much more multi-nodal.
+1

Those two replys pretty much explain it.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 7:16 pm

According to the ITA Matrix, for the Jeju-Seoul route:

KE flies daily:

9 x 737
10 x 747

OZ flies daily:

18 x A320/A321
1 x A330

And according to wikipedia 5 other airlines fly the route.

Not bad for an island with just under 600,000 people.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Without looking, I would have guessed that the area over New York City is the busiest air corridor in the world. But I also would have guessed that the metric is total aircraft movements through some defined three-dimensional region of space, not passenger counts. (I also would suggest that it doesn't matter where all those planes are going or coming from....just that they're in the corridor for some period of time.)

But yeah, for a citypair passenger count list, I probably would have guessed Tokyo-Osaka as #1 with Beijing-Shanghai gaining ground fast. Would never have guessed that Korean route. Rio-Sao Paolo makes sense now that I see it, but it wouldn't have come to mind offhand.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
But yeah, for a citypair passenger count list, I probably would have guessed Tokyo-Osaka as #1 with Beijing-Shanghai gaining ground fast. Would never have guessed that Korean route. Rio-Sao Paolo makes sense now that I see it, but it wouldn't have come to mind offhand.
I had heard for years Tokyo-Sapporo was the busiest air route. That one I understand since rail is gruelling trip for that journey, but Tokyo-Osaka is different in that you can take a Shinkansen train between the 2 cities in a little more than 2.5 hours (and generally at a cheaper price than a flight).

I realize density of population obviously affects how many flights per day there are between the 2 cities, but still, rail travel is taking the majority of the Osaka-Tokyo travellers.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Wiirachay
Which explains why three of the ten routes are internal Japan?

But I think train fares for fast trains in Japan are very expensive. Airfares may be less.

Still, it seems odd.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 1:10 pm

PEK-HKG should be on this list because:

-SZX and CAN use the same route
and
-almost all flights between PEK and SE Asia do so as well

In total, we're talking about ~70 flights!
Old Aug 26, 2013, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mapleg
I had heard for years Tokyo-Sapporo was the busiest air route. That one I understand since rail is gruelling trip for that journey, but Tokyo-Osaka is different in that you can take a Shinkansen train between the 2 cities in a little more than 2.5 hours (and generally at a cheaper price than a flight).

I realize density of population obviously affects how many flights per day there are between the 2 cities, but still, rail travel is taking the majority of the Osaka-Tokyo travellers.
Makes sense... Didn't BCN/MAD used to make these top 10 air passenger count lists until they built a good fast nonstop train between the two?
Old Aug 26, 2013, 6:37 pm

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by pinniped
Without looking, I would have guessed that the area over New York City is the busiest air corridor in the world. But I also would have guessed that the metric is total aircraft movements through some defined three-dimensional region of space, not passenger counts. (I also would suggest that it doesn't matter where all those planes are going or coming from....just that they're in the corridor for some period of time.)

The airspace over NYC is very busy, but it has no direct city pairing which is important.

With routes like SYD-MEL the frequency of the service is more like a bus time table, the 7:30am service is boarding whilst the 7:00am service is just leaving the gate. The smallest a/c they run on that route is a 737 and for that you typically need to go to VA, with QF mostly running 767's and a few A330.

There is also a daily B747 service (UA's LAX-SYD-MEL flight). They have even put an A380 on the route in the past to help with backlogs in the past. In the case of SYD-MEL both cities are considered our primary cities, they are both financial and business centers for this region. It is also possible to go from MEL-SYD for a day trip and still be home in time for dinner, plus it's relatively inexpensive given most flights have options for less than $100, so it can be cheaper than arranging a hotel in the other location. So I suspect there is a lot of business people who do exactly that which bolster the numbers.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, SQ-PPS, Marriott PP
Cool, thanks for sharing OP. The Amadeus article, source for the data behind the map, is a solid read as well. I would had never guessed LCC penetration in TH or PH was >60%. High but not that high
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
This *only* includes direct routing, for instance JFK-LHR, but not one who bought ORD-JFK-LHR. Also, city pairs EWR/JFK-LHR seems not to be included. Pretty useless statistics...
Old Aug 27, 2013, 3:45 am

Programs: Flying Blue Ultimate, ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by iadp
Cool, thanks for sharing OP. The Amadeus article, source for the data behind the map, is a solid read as well. I would had never guessed LCC penetration in TH or PH was >60%. High but not that high
Could you post the link to that article. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.