Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Just had to share this story about a child's laughter in turbulent air.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2013, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp

This morning DSM-ORD leaving ORD about 15 minutes late due to late inbound. Boarded E145, sat in 7A, about 80% full. Included a few families with kids, all well behaved for 9:30 am on a Thursday.

Rolled out and sat and sat and sat ... Pilot came on to tell us we are stuck on tarmac along with the bunch of planes around us, waiting for weather system to move out that was between ORD and DSM. An hour later we finally took off.

As we climbed, the pilot banked to the left and into the turbulence we went.

All of a sudden, in the cabin quiet that often accompanies rough air, came the peeling laughter of the 6 year old boy sitting in 8B next to his mother. With every dip, whoop-de-doo, shake and roll, he laughed harder. In no time at all, all the passengers around him had big grins on their faces or were laughing too. His pure joy and laughter was truly infectious.

Only time I have ever been on a plane in pretty significant turbulence, smiling and laughing. Was a great few minutes.

Last edited by dorisrpas; Aug 23, 2013 at 9:08 am Reason: It's not Saturday yet ...
Old Aug 22, 2013, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great story but did I miss a couple days? I thought today was Thursday.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 6:59 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus (PLATINUM); Qatar Privilege Club (PLATINUM)
What a happy story. I actually like turbulence too, especially on overnight flights. I sleep so much better. Really ...
Old Aug 22, 2013, 7:21 pm

Programs: One or two :)
I must admit, I was surprised to read that story. I kept waiting for the part where it would turn into a complaint, or a rant about noisy kids. Glad it had a happy conclusion!
Old Aug 22, 2013, 8:14 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
...some children really do bring joy to our lives....
Old Aug 22, 2013, 8:41 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Thats way better than my story about the woman who screamed on a cruise ship when it rolled... about 5 degrees. Drinks didnt even spill. Half the room laughed at her.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 8:47 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Great story! ^^^ And reminds me of a similar "turbulent event" where after one good "bump 'n swoop" a child's voice rang out with "AGAIN"-whereupon almost the entire cabin busted out laughing (including me )
Old Aug 22, 2013, 9:00 pm

Great story! ^ Guess the kid is really enjoying his ride.
I love it -- thanks for sharing.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 9:33 pm

Programs: DL GE
Originally Posted by OnePassenger
What a happy story. I actually like turbulence too, especially on overnight flights. I sleep so much better. Really ...
Me 2, I think my body thinks I am in a car and I instantly fall asleep when riding in a car... I blame my parents..

Great knowing I am not the only one!
Old Aug 23, 2013, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Cute!
Old Aug 23, 2013, 5:14 am

Programs: EK Gold, SK Gold

Cute! We need more stories like this. Thanks for sharing!
Old Aug 23, 2013, 7:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by OnePassenger
Me too. Maybe it's like sleeping on a train where the rocking motion is very relaxing.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 9:59 am

Wheeeee!

(I'll try it on my LAX/SFO today, if it gets bumpy.)
Old Aug 23, 2013, 10:28 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by dorisrpas
This morning DSM-ORD leaving ORD about 15 minutes late due to late inbound. Boarded E145, sat in 7A, about 80% full. Included a few families with kids, all well behaved for 9:30 am on a Thursday.

Rolled out and sat and sat and sat ... Pilot came on to tell us we are stuck on tarmac along with the bunch of planes around us, waiting for weather system to move out that was between ORD and DSM. An hour later we finally took off.

As we climbed, the pilot banked to the left and into the turbulence we went.

All of a sudden, in the cabin quiet that often accompanies rough air, came the peeling laughter of the 6 year old boy sitting in 8B next to his mother. With every dip, whoop-de-doo, shake and roll, he laughed harder. In no time at all, all the passengers around him had big grins on their faces or were laughing too. His pure joy and laughter was truly infectious.

Only time I have ever been on a plane in pretty significant turbulence, smiling and laughing. Was a great few minutes.

Edited: Reason: It's not Saturday yet ...
I have to ask: Did you ever live in a Middle Eastern country? It's been 25+ years since I last lived in Saudi Arabia and I still sometimes say Wednesday when I mean Friday, Thursday when I mean Saturday and Friday when I mean Sunday.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
I have to ask: Did you ever live in a Middle Eastern country? It's been 25+ years since I last lived in Saudi Arabia and I still sometimes say Wednesday when I mean Friday, Thursday when I mean Saturday and Friday when I mean Sunday.
No, it was just my 18th flight in 10 days and days were really starting to blur.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.