Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Top 10 Longest **Domestic** Flights in the World

Top 10 Longest **Domestic** Flights in the World

Old Aug 10, 2013, 10:13 am

If you don't count Russia or the US for longest nonstop contiguous domestic flight (because they're going to win any contest for that), what's next? Best I could come up with is YUL-YVR@2295 miles. Maybe there's something in China that beats it?
Old Aug 10, 2013, 10:31 am
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
There's a YYT-YYC flight that clocks in at 2695 miles which gives SEA-MIA a run for its money....

(and if you're not happy that the gulf of st. lawrence sits between newfoundland and the mainland, it would probably be YHZ-YYC at 2334 miles?)
Old Nov 13, 2013, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Just made a new post with the Top 10 Non-Stop Flights in the World, check it out here: http://www.weekendblitz.com/top-10-w...-stop-flights/

Old Nov 13, 2013, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by t325
If you don't count Russia or the US for longest nonstop contiguous domestic flight (because they're going to win any contest for that),
Why would US need to win?

By area, Russia is the biggest state by far. But then there is pretty close bunch of 5 states: Canada, China, USA, Brazil and Australia. The seventh, India, is less than half the size of Australia.
So. What are the longest domestic flights of China, Brazil and Australia?
Old Nov 13, 2013, 2:55 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack
Why would US need to win?

By area, Russia is the biggest state by far. But then there is pretty close bunch of 5 states: Canada, China, USA, Brazil and Australia. The seventh, India, is less than half the size of Australia.
So. What are the longest domestic flights of China, Brazil and Australia?
Any flight leaving from PEK will be the longest in China...
Old Nov 16, 2013, 7:14 am

Great post, thanks!

I am pretty intrigued by how some connecting flights don't actually make the trip any longer, your LAX example is probably the perfect scenario. The one I fly quite a bit and have been fascinated by is that SFO-SIN is only 2 miles shorter than SFO-NRT-SIN.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Leviticus
Great post, thanks!

I am pretty intrigued by how some connecting flights don't actually make the trip any longer, your LAX example is probably the perfect scenario. The one I fly quite a bit and have been fascinated by is that SFO-SIN is only 2 miles shorter than SFO-NRT-SIN.
I've got an even better one for you: Thai Airways flies LAX-BKK via ICN but Seoul-ICN couldn’t be more perfectly enroute to Bangkok-BKK. With the stop, it’s 8,271 miles. Without it? 8,270 miles, just a 1 mile difference.

Old Nov 19, 2013, 10:00 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by jmgriffin
Your list is not correct.

#1 and #4 operate one way only. Qantas operates SYD-DFW direct, and routes via Brisbane on the return. SYD-DFW / DFW-BNE-SYD is QF7 / QF8.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 1:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Leviticus
Great post, thanks!

JFK-DKR-JNB is only 3 miles off of JFK-JNB.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 1:53 pm

How about Guam-Honolulu-JFK?
Old Nov 26, 2013, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nux
Your list is not correct.

#1 and #4 operate one way only. Qantas operates SYD-DFW direct, and routes via Brisbane on the return. SYD-DFW / DFW-BNE-SYD is QF7 / QF8.
Thanks for the info! Just updated the list to included your suggestion. I also added the future AUH-LAX route that will start next year:

Update 11/26/13: Etihad Airways has announced service from their hub in Abu Dhabi-AUH to Los Angeles-LAX. This 8,390 mile route is expected to begin June 1, 2014 and would move Etihad from not even ranking in the Top 10 to having the 3rd longest non-stop flight in the world. The airline expects to fly the route using a Boeing 777-200LR. (Thanks to reader "BNAOWB" for the info! More info here: USA Today)

Unlike the aircraft in the photo, the 777-200LR is expected to have windows
Old Dec 4, 2013, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
HNL

HA's HNL-JFK is ~19 miles longer than UA's (formerly CO) HNL-EWR (4,962 miles). Even UA's HNL-IAD (4,817) and DL's HNL-ATL (4,502) are longer than the French examples.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 10:40 am

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I fly BOS-SFO twice a year. It's roughly tied with MIA-SEA for longest lower-48 nonstop in distance and duration (6:43 or so). It's actually about a half-hour longer than BOS-LHR.

It's the best use of miles for awards and upgrades I can think of. You pay at the domestic rates for an award that is really like North America to Europe.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey
It's the best use of miles for awards and upgrades I can think of. You pay at the domestic rates for an award that is really like North America to Europe.
In distance, maybe. In actual benefits and cabin comfort, most certainly not.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 10:59 am

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by sbm12
In distance, maybe. In actual benefits and cabin comfort, most certainly not.
I agree that UA domestic F is nothing too great, but it's a lot more comfortable than being in the back of the bus for such a long flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.