Wiki Posts
Search

Too black for club lounge ?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2013, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA Ex Plat
Too black for club lounge ?

I don't travel for business so almost 100% of my travel is exclusively leisure. I have been able to attain SPG Platinum on my own dime but more and more I notice that I get looks and like earlier today in Sheraton CDG there was a guy that was visibly disturbed by my presence in the club lounge. A little background, I'm in my early 30's ( look like im in my early 20's) and from ethnic decent and like to dress in casual hip hop style wear (t shirt, jeans and a hat etc) but nothing outrageous or disrespectful to others such as sagging pants. I used to try to dress to blend in especially when traveling business or first class etc but decided a year back that I have just as much rights as anyone else to dress as I please but as stated above since I have done that I have noticed such negative looks especially in spg club lounges, exclusively by middle aged white men. The jerk today couldn't even bring himself to great me as I tried to diffuse the tension by giving him a friendly nod hello. I guess this post is just to remind folks to be civil and refrain from judging someone because they may have a hat turned backwards.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 4:28 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Was the person a hotel employee? If so, and you believe you were "dissed" you are within your rights to complain to management. If it was just another guest, no one is required to be friendly.

I do have to say though that I do believe how we present ourselves has a major impact on how we are sometimes seen by others. Personally, I might consider a t-shirt and hat inappropriate for a lounge; depending on what was written on them. We all have to take some responsibility. But in the end, you have just as much right to that lounge as anyone.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 4:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: ゴールデングローブ
Originally Posted by xxpert
...and like to dress in casual hip hop style wear...
...that I have just as much rights as anyone else to dress as I please...
... I have noticed such negative looks especially in spg club lounges...

Hip Hop style in a club lounge and you are surprised that you get "negative looks"? Well, there are such things as "etiquette". Follow them and you won't get bad vibes around you!

That has nothing to do with SPG lounges, and it has even less to do with your skin color. It's simply seen as disrespectful behavior from your side by other guests. That's why they looked at you. And rest assured you would also get unwelcoming looks from my side if you show up in bath robe, sport dress, hip hop style etc in a club lounge! I am thankful that there is a dress code in Japanese five star hotels. People who are not properly dressed don't get access to the club lounge!
Old Aug 7, 2013, 6:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Plat, Centurion, too many airlines
if he is wearing baggy pants, who the hell cares? so long as i am not seeing your underwear, he should be free to dress as he sees fit in the lounge. i see middle-aged white guys coming into the lounge dripping sweat after coming straight from the gym; i also see middle-aged white moms stuffed into their teenager's juicy couture sweatsuits, and wearing spaghetti strap tanks that look like they came from baby gap- both images are far more offensive than a black guy wearing a XXL sweatshirt and hat. If you are polite and have your pants pulled up, I have no problem with you.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 6:17 pm

Programs: CX DM, Marriott Plat, SPG lifetime, Hyatt Diamond, Avis Chairman's Club
Proper "etiquette" by the way he dresses? What does that have to do with anything? He can be in sandals and shorts- what does that have to do with the other guy?

You keep on giving unwelcoming looks and you get head smacked in some places... maybe not Japan so you should just stay there.

Originally Posted by TallestHotelInJapan
Hip Hop style in a club lounge and you are surprised that you get "negative looks"? Well, there are such things as "etiquette". Follow them and you won't get bad vibes around you!

That has nothing to do with SPG lounges, and it has even less to do with your skin color. It's simply seen as disrespectful behavior from your side by other guests. That's why they looked at you. And rest assured you would also get unwelcoming looks from my side if you show up in bath robe, sport dress, hip hop style etc in a club lounge! I am thankful that there is a dress code in Japanese five star hotels. People who are not properly dressed don't get access to the club lounge!
Old Aug 7, 2013, 7:05 pm
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
Originally Posted by UnitedTaiwan
Proper "etiquette" by the way he dresses? What does that have to do with anything? He can be in sandals and shorts- what does that have to do with the other guy?

You keep on giving unwelcoming looks and you get head smacked in some places... maybe not Japan so you should just stay there.
Headsmacking may occur in some unsavoury places, but if it did, in a hotel lounge, I would expect to see the smacker imprisoned.

We weren't there. I have my own concept of appropriate and inappropriate, as we all do. Sometimes actions, dress, posture (slouching back with legs spread wide) , etc, give off a certain vibe. sometimes it's just someone dressing the way they like. Most people who say they dress for themselves (I am included in this) are lying to themselves. They're dressing to be noticed. Some will approve and some will not. You chose your dress, so deal with it.

I am a fashion risk taker but when a friend wanted to walk into a hotel wearing a cap that said " F$%K the police", I refused to go with him. It was inappropriate and asking for a problem. We are all entitled to do as we please, but the businesses we frequent are also entitled to ask you to change before entering.

Once, in first class, I travelled with a famous band. Their tour manager was in Hawaiian shirt, shorts and sandals, which he flipped off, and started to pick dirt from his toenails. White, black, or green, he was out of order. The more fanciful, multi-ethnic bandmembers (Black Eyed Peas) looked a lot funkier, but were impeccably behaved. The manager was a classless, tasteless scumbag (IMO). He has proven this with well documented actions, in public.

Again, I wasn't there and can't speak to the OP's dress or the reactions he perceived, but I feel both sides have some responsibility. If you dress in a way that provokes, you should expect reaction, and if you are sensitive to others' appearance, chill a little.

On the other hand, I'm all for banning people who smell because they don't care, smoke in a public place, those who are loud and spoil my quiet enjoyment, including parents with screaming children in a club lounge, etc, etc etc. Everyone is prejudiced - I am prejudiced towards the inconsiderate. They may have legal rights to be pests, but it won't change my mind, or make me hold my tongue, so maybe I welcome a bit of smacking from them - at least it will get them removed.

Last edited by BonViveur; Aug 7, 2013 at 7:29 pm
Old Aug 7, 2013, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
Too black for club lounge

It's the middle aged dads in hideous vacation clothes and socks and sandals that offend me.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by JBauer
It's the middle aged dads in hideous vacation clothes and socks and sandals that offend me.
^

There are plenty of clothing styles that offend me more than what OP describes.

Regardless, just because it offends me, doesn't make my opinions right.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 7:12 pm

Programs: Marriott (Titanium); National (Exec); Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by RichardKopf
Headsmacking may occur in some unsavoury places, but if it did, in a hotel lounge, I would expect to see the smacker imprisoned.

We weren't there. I have my own concept of appropriate and inappropriate, as we all do. Sometimes actions, dress, posture (slouching back with legs spread wide) , etc, give off a certain vibe. sometimes it's just someone dressing the way they like. Most people who say they dress for themselves (I am included in this) are lying to themselves. They're dressing to be noticed. Some will approve and some will not. You chose your dress, so deal with it.

I am a fashion risk taker but when a friend wanted to walk into a hotel wearing a cap that said " F$%K the police", I refused to go with him. It was inappropriate and asking for a problem. We are all entitled to do as we please, but the businesses we frequent are also entitled to ask you to change before entering.

Once, in first class, I travelled with a famous band. Their tour manager was in Hawaiian shirt, shorts and sandals, which he flipped off, and started to pick dirt from his toenails. White, black, or green, he was out of order. The more fanciful, multi-ethnic bandmembers (Black Eyed Peas) looked a lot funkier, but were impeccably behaved. The manager was a classless, tasteless scumbag (IMO). He has proven this with well documented actions, in public.

Again, I wasn't there and can't speak to the OP's dress or the reactions he perceived, but I feel both sides have some responsibility. If you dress in a way that provokes, you should expect reaction, and if you are sensitive to others' appearance, chill a little.
Off topic: But I did see will.i.am in the Lufthansa First Class Terminal in Frankfurt this past spring. Seemed to be a quiet guy who just wanted to eat his meal in peace.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 7:18 pm

Programs: CX DM, Marriott Plat, SPG lifetime, Hyatt Diamond, Avis Chairman's Club
^^^

Originally Posted by RichardKopf

Old Aug 7, 2013, 7:21 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Originally Posted by taipeiflyer
if he is wearing baggy pants, who the hell cares? so long as i am not seeing your underwear, he should be free to dress as he sees fit in the lounge. i see middle-aged white guys coming into the lounge dripping sweat after coming straight from the gym; i also see middle-aged white moms stuffed into their teenager's juicy couture sweatsuits, and wearing spaghetti strap tanks that look like they came from baby gap- both images are far more offensive than a black guy wearing a XXL sweatshirt and hat. If you are polite and have your pants pulled up, I have no problem with you.
My ONLY comment, it is proper etiquette to remove your hat indoors.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 7:23 pm

OP F that guy and F anyone who thinks etiquette requires proper attire. It is not the 1950s. Etiquette these days only requires acting in a certain way. Just keep on rocking the hip hop gear, but make sure you keep giving the guy the friendly head nod.

Wouldn't be awesome if TallestHotelInJapan was that guy in the lounge
Old Aug 7, 2013, 7:28 pm

I don't travel for business so almost 100% of my travel is exclusively leisure. I have been able to attain SPG Platinum on my own dime but more and more I notice that I get looks and like earlier today in Sheraton CDG there was a guy that was visibly disturbed by my presence in the club lounge. A little background, I'm in my early 30's ( look like im in my early 20's) and from ethnic decent and like to dress in casual hip hop style wear (t shirt, jeans and a hat etc) but nothing outrageous or disrespectful to others such as sagging pants. I used to try to dress to blend in especially when traveling business or first class etc but decided a year back that I have just as much rights as anyone else to dress as I please but as stated above since I have done that I have noticed such negative looks especially in spg club lounges, exclusively by middle aged white men. The jerk today couldn't even bring himself to great me as I tried to diffuse the tension by giving him a friendly nod hello. I guess this post is just to remind folks to be civil and refrain from judging someone because they may have a hat turned backwards.
I know exactly what you mean because it happens to my boyfriend but he doesn't even let it bother him anymore. He recently purchased a luxury vehicle and went to the dealership wearing sandals and basketball shorts because he went in with the intention of just looking at cars on a whim one day. When he wasn't treated with respect, he went to another dealership and ended up purchasing a vehicle from a salesman who was really cool and down to earth. He wears a tie and business suits during his business hours. He's not going to dress in business attire when he doesn't have to and you shouldn't either.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 8:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
You mention in your post that saggy pants are disrespectful. So if you are going to judge "middle aged white men", you should first be sure you're not doing the same thing you accuse them of doing.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 8:43 pm

Programs: AS,UA
Your in Europe of course your going to get looks. I mean in Spain, Italy and other European countries its becoming common for Soccer fans to throw banana peels at opposing African players
http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=130886&page=1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.