Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How works an international layover in Atlanta with luggage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2013, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG platinum, Best Western Platinum, SIXT platinum
Lightbulb How works an international layover in Atlanta with luggage?

Hi there,

we are going to Punta Cana and I need to book a oneway flight from Punta Cana to Atlanta. But all direct flights are way to high.

I found a half price ticket if i book a flight with delta from Punta Cana to FLL with a layover in Atlanta (layover is about 8 hours).

My question is, if we get off in Atlanta, do we have to take our luggages thru customs at the airport, as its an international flight?

As I am from Europe, I know we have to get the luggages thru the customs before we can go further. But its the same from Dom.republic via Atlanta, if the connecting flight is to Florida?

If so, we could just take it and leave the airport in Atlanta and just dismiss the flight to FLL.

This would save me over 300 usd as we are 3 traveling.

Thanks a lot for your help.

M
Old Aug 7, 2013, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Assuming you connect at ATL to return to FLL, you will have to clear immigration, claim your luggage, clear customs, and drop off your luggage with the TSA for re-screening. As I recall, the drop off point is immediately after exiting customs.

I recently did it at ATL and it was pretty easy. The only issues will be wiats at immigration and maybe customs. If you have an 8 hour layover at ATL, I don't think that will be much of an issue.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Michael Myshu
Hi there,

we are going to Punta Cana and I need to book a oneway flight from Punta Cana to Atlanta. But all direct flights are way to high.

I found a half price ticket if i book a flight with delta from Punta Cana to FLL with a layover in Atlanta (layover is about 8 hours).

My question is, if we get off in Atlanta, do we have to take our luggages thru customs at the airport, as its an international flight?

As I am from Europe, I know we have to get the luggages thru the customs before we can go further. But its the same from Dom.republic via Atlanta, if the connecting flight is to Florida?

If so, we could just take it and leave the airport in Atlanta and just dismiss the flight to FLL.

This would save me over 300 usd as we are 3 traveling.

Thanks a lot for your help.

M
The Dominican Republic is a foreign Country and upon your arrival into Atlanta, you will need to go through full Immigration and Customs formalities, including collecting your luggage for Customs inspection.

Your flight from Atlanta to FLL is a domestic flight and there will be no Immigration or Customs at FLL when you arrive.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 1:46 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
I think the OP is considering buying a ticket from Punta Cana to FLL that stops in ATL and ditching the ATL-FLL portion of the ticket.

Someone who is familiar with the new international concourse in ATL can chime in as to what to do here.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 2:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Yes, you can walk away. Don't make a habit of doing this wit DL though...
Old Aug 7, 2013, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by STBCypriot
I think the OP is considering buying a ticket from Punta Cana to FLL that stops in ATL and ditching the ATL-FLL portion of the ticket.

Someone who is familiar with the new international concourse in ATL can chime in as to what to do here.
If that's the case, the only thing that changes is re-checking the bag and going through TSA security. You don't do that. You just go about and leave as if you had no plans on going any place else.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA:EXP, GLD:A.Argen., Etihad; Turk SIL:UA, VS; HOT.GLD:ClubC, Loews, SPG; PL:Ritz, Hil, IHG, BtW., R

Definitely have to clear customs in ATL. However, that should use up about 3 of your 8 hour layover):. ( in Atl is anything like miami can be on a busy day ). I was just approved for global access and TSA Pre - after applying 3 timed-finally I can use the global GLOBAX kiosks and bypass the lines , but I see you are from Europe. If you have us citizenship or permanent residence, I hear you make up the $100 application ( if you value your time highly) on the first pass through . Several credi cards will also reimburse you Thr $100 application fee, such as AMEX platinum personal or business .
Old Aug 7, 2013, 8:19 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by Gamecock
Yes, you can walk away. Don't make a habit of doing this wit DL though...
agreed.

OP, what you're doing is called 'hidden city'/throwaway ticketing. generally frowned upon by the airlines. if you plan to do this more in the future, i hope you're not in a FF program and giving them your info.
i'm surprised at how many of the replies missed that fact that the OP is not going on to FLL
Old Aug 7, 2013, 9:03 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As the OP is planning looking at booking this on Delta, and has an active thread on this in the Delta forum, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...l#post21231182 , and since FlyerTalk disallows cross-posting, I'll close this thread and invite discussion to continue in the Delta forum thread linked above. Thanks, Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.