Wiki Posts
Search

Demanding your seat back

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2013, 9:21 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending
Original Poster

Demanding your seat back

Observed this situation play out on a flight last week.

Background: Turbo prop plane, three across. A is to the left of the aisle, B and C to the right.

6B and 6C were occupied. A lady comes on, points at 6B, and says "I think you're in my seat".

The guy there replies "I would like to sit by my friend, would you mind moving?" He points to 7B.

She agrees and sits down one row behind him. Plane takes off.

About 30 minutes into flight, 6B gets up to use the bathroom. Lady moves up to 6B. 6C objects but she ignores him. 6B gets back and looks confused.

Argument ensues. Flight attendant comes and checks boarding passes and tells the guy to move to 7B.

I am a bit torn on this one, so I want your opinions. On one hand, it was her assigned seat, but on the other hand, she willingly gave it up.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 9:36 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Plat, PreCheck
It would seem to me that there's nothing the FA could have done except what he or she did. The female passenger was clearly disturbed or worse but the airline and its staff can't be the arbitrator of manners, even when they fail as abysmally as hers did.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Demanding your seat back

That's awesome, kudos to the lady for putting the seat poacher in his place. Delayed reckoning is ok in my book. ^
Old Aug 6, 2013, 9:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
Demanding your seat back

I think she just could not say "No" earlier. It was her seat and she got it back. I hate it when people occupy others seats prior to taking permission from the person who is assigned the seat.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 10:03 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
All I can think is "lousy, rotten, karmic retribution" in Homer Simpson voice. I love that lady! She's awesome!
Old Aug 6, 2013, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i think i would have FA engage person for me
Old Aug 6, 2013, 10:40 pm

Programs: luxury traveler
Demanding your seat back

Were the two talking loudly? Perhaps she thought it would be more restful to give the friends some space or found their friendship unworthy of the request to move... Who knows? In truth, it's all in poor taste and just another day of herding cats for the FAs.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 10:50 pm

Programs: Miles & Smiles Classic Plus, Miles&Bonus Blue
I think if she had insisted on sitting in 6B in the beginning and he had refused, then taking her seat back later in this fashion was perfectly justified. But since she had agreed to switch seats, then I think she was in the wrong and since the seat she agreed to switch to was no worse than her previous one.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by dtshakuras
I think if she had insisted on sitting in 6B in the beginning and he had refused, then taking her seat back later in this fashion was perfectly justified. But since she had agreed to switch seats, then I think she was in the wrong and since the seat she agreed to switch to was no worse than her previous one.
I agree. I wonder why she wanted to switch back, as the seats are basically equal.

I bet there is more to this story. I think there must have been some reason she wanted the seat back. Maybe not a good reason.

By the time the argument happened the flight must have been pretty close to over. I can't think of a 1x2 turbo prop that has much range.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:07 pm

Programs: Miles & Smiles Classic Plus, Miles&Bonus Blue
Originally Posted by will2288
I agree. I wonder why she wanted to switch back, as the seats are basically equal.

I bet there is more to this story. I think there must have been some reason she wanted the seat back. Maybe not a good reason.

By the time the argument happened the flight must have been pretty close to over. I can't think of a 1x2 turbo prop that has much range.
Wild guess, maybe she didn't enjoy the company of her seat mate in 7C.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 12:12 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Sounds like this occurred on an EMB-120. Row 6 is marked as "exit row" so she may have thought there would be more room. She would be wrong but that might have had something to do with it.

I don't really get forcing yourself into a seat next to someone you have just pi$$ed off but people are weird. It is a short flight, maybe she thought she would get off quicker than from row 7.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 12:13 am

Programs: DL Gold, CO Silver
Demanding your seat back

Or maybe she felt intimidated into switching and after some thought decided to restore the balance. Some women aren't basically assertive and some men don't realise how they come across .

I have no sympathy for the guys if they wanted to sit together then they should have booked that way. Seat poachers are a pain and I've had guys think they can intimidate me into swooping either by arguing or dismissively telling me I can sit in theirs ......in that last scenario not a snowballs chance in hell would I reward such crassness with my seat!
Old Aug 7, 2013, 2:13 am

Programs: Lufthansa/Aeroplan/Air Berlin
Originally Posted by duchy
Or maybe she felt intimidated into switching and after some thought decided to restore the balance. Some women aren't basically assertive and some men don't realise how they come across .

I have no sympathy for the guys if they wanted to sit together then they should have booked that way. Seat poachers are a pain and I've had guys think they can intimidate me into swooping either by arguing or dismissively telling me I can sit in theirs ......in that last scenario not a snowballs chance in hell would I reward such crassness with my seat!
This. I have been speechless upon encountering people like this dude and my first instinct is "keep the peace" and then i go back and sit and realize what happened. I was on a flight once where the person in front of me, before we even sat down, told me to "make sure you don't touch my seat". I just sort of stared and nodded and then was pissed off for the next 8 hours. His "seat" includes my tray and inflight screen so eff him. I wish i was sharper in these situations to have an awesome comeback to put him in his place immediately for such a ridiculous request, but ultimately, i am a mother first and foremost and my first instinct is to make sure other people are happy and comfortable before myself.

(in case anyone is wondering, i certainly did touch "his seat" in the form of the screen/tray)
Old Aug 7, 2013, 2:24 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Demanding your seat back

The men were clearly at fault. If you want to switch seats you sit in the assigned seat, then ask politely.
If it was me if someone asked me to swap , I would. But if they were already sat in my seat then I would refuse.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 2:46 am

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
You bet she was disturbed - by the man who took her seat. I agree that she probably was not the assertive sort and initially complied, to prevent an argument, but later decided that she wanted her assigned seat back - as was her right.

"Disturbed or worse"- was the original poster of this remark implying that the woman was mentally unbalanced? Unusual behaviour admittedly, but no more than that.

Last edited by oliver2002; Aug 7, 2013 at 7:49 am Reason: removed quote of deleted post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.