FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   TV Guy Says Print Boarding Pass at Home Because .... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1491531-tv-guy-says-print-boarding-pass-home-because.html)

RRDD Aug 6, 2013 6:25 am

TV Guy Says Print Boarding Pass at Home Because ....

A guy on CBS News this morning said you should print your boarding passes at home on the night before a flight because you never know when the airline computer system will go down. Seems like a weak reason to me.

mgarrett96 Aug 6, 2013 7:43 am

TV Guy Says Print Boarding Pass at Home Because ....

...if their computer system is down, an e-ticket is as valuable as the paper it's printed on. E tickets are NOT like the old paper tickets, the boarding pass just contains information to find the reservation in the computer system.

EricH Aug 6, 2013 7:49 am

You never know when your computer system will go down, or when your internet connection will go down, or when your printer will run out of ink, ...

bkafrick Aug 6, 2013 7:57 am

You should also have two cars, in case one breaks down.
Two houses, in case one burns down.
Two wives, in case.............

Forrest Bump Aug 6, 2013 8:32 am

:D

Low cost airlines made a good terrorism on this front.

Paul56 Aug 6, 2013 9:08 am

I tow my spare car behind my main car. :D

Eastbay1K Aug 6, 2013 9:08 am

Originally Posted by mgarrett96 (Post 21223345)
...if their computer system is down, an e-ticket is as valuable as the paper it's printed on. E tickets are NOT like the old paper tickets, the boarding pass just contains information to find the reservation in the computer system.

It does get you through security, and it does get you to bypass the sea of thousands of people waiting in a line to nowhere.

BuildingMyBento Aug 6, 2013 9:10 am

Pfft, that's no way to get an op-up...

I have encountered that scenario a couple of times though. Last month at MDC the computers weren't working, so the check-in staff had to scribe everything on the Lion Air stock. All while the departure time had already passed...

Pinned Aug 6, 2013 9:12 am

Sabre went down yesterday, AA just ceased departure on flights. Not like people with pre-printed boarding passes got on planes that weren't flying.

Kinkora Aug 6, 2013 9:25 am

For those who don't fly on a regular basis, it's probably good advice. Heck, I generally print them out (or download to phone) when I check in online. Anything I can do to make the process smoother is my motto and avoiding lines fits in that category - although with more and more carriers moving to kiosks that is less of a problem these days. But the bit about it being an advantage when the system goes down? That makes no sense....

mikeef Aug 6, 2013 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 21223835)
It does get you through security, and it does get you to bypass the sea of thousands of people waiting in a line to nowhere.

This.

Mike

mgarrett96 Aug 6, 2013 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 21223835)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mgarrett96

Touché.

FlyerTalker68098 Aug 6, 2013 10:12 am

Load of crap. Clearly looking for an original reason.

If I can print it at home I will. Heck they wont let you in to BOM without a printed document that confirms you have a flight book in your name - still not seeing allowances for mobile boarding cards when they have stated you can use them!

gobluetwo Aug 6, 2013 10:15 am

Originally Posted by mgarrett96 (Post 21223345)

Last year when the UA system went down, I handed my BP to the gate agent, who was manually marking on a piece of paper the names and seat numbers as we boarded our flight. Needless to say, I didn't get credit for the flight after a couple weeks, but the missing mileage request went through very quickly.

cordelli Aug 6, 2013 10:18 am

Originally Posted by RRDD (Post 21223013)
A guy on CBS News this morning said you should print your boarding passes at home on the night before a flight because you never know when the airline computer system will go down. Seems like a weak reason to me.

Then you were not in Las Vegas two Thursdays ago when the computers were down all morning at all the airlines (because it's a shared system). I can guaranty you that many people who were smart phone only boarding passes will consider keeping a paper copy in their back pocket going forward.

I was connecting there at that time, it was quite funny to watch.

And I had paper, which I was happy to have.