Wiki Posts
Search

No Texting or Twitter: Anxiety About an Upcoming Flight

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles Silver (MQS)
No Texting or Twitter: Anxiety About an Upcoming Flight

This weekend I will embark on a long flight. Practically flying coast to coast. Normally, I am more of a regional flyer and my flights do not typically last more than 2 hours. However, I have an upcoming flight that is over 5 hours long.

To some of you more seasoned veterans of the air, or those who fly internationally (although I am not sure why anyone would willingly fly internationally) this may seem like no big deal, but to me, it comes with serious anxiety.

For over 5 hours I will be required to sit in my seat with my cell phone turned off, or on "airplane mode." I simply can not deal with having no cell phone service for this long of a time period.

Here are my biggest issues with not having cell phone service for 5 hours: 1: NO TEXT MESSAGING 2: NO TWITTER

I think I have developed some sort of psychological dependency on my cell phone, texting, and Twitter. My girlfriend has been trying to get me to go to a counselor and seek help for this issue, but I have yet to find any qualified counselors who are able to address this personal issue.

So I need your help. I need suggestions on what you guys do on these long flights where you have to be without cell phone service. How do you survive? What do you do to pass the time? Do you become so anxious that you start moving around in your seat with figidity movement and ticks? Do you perspire more than normal?

The only option I can think of that will help alleviate my anxiety is to purchase the in flight wifi connection. I have never done this before, but I think it might help keep my mind off of having no cell phone service during the 5 hour trip.

I have a large group of followers on Twitter and I need to be able to keep them in the loop. I also follow a large group of people on Twitter and I will feel lost without reading their semi-constant updates. Twitter is one of the greatest communications tools we have today and it should be embraced to its full capacity.

The second best communication tools we have is text messaging. I am a firm believer that we should all be in a constant state of text messaging those to whom we wish to communicate with. It is more perfect than a phone call, and easier than an in person conversation. I probably send and receive around 1,800-2,000 text messages a day. To go without this important means of communication could cost me important business opportunities and hurt my personal relationships.

Suggestions and help, please?
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:35 am

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Won't you be too busy drinking to worry about texting and tweeting?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-strategy.html

My suggestion to you is to stop trying to play FTers for fools.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do think you need to talk to a counselor.

I simply don't see the problem. Every year we take a pair of flights that put us over the ocean for half a day. So what?

To go farther, I have never sent a tweet in my life and no more than a few text messages. I simply don't see the appeal. Boards like this are much more interesting to read than a bunch of mindless tweets.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Giggleswick,

Due to circumstances outside of my control, I will not being flying on the airline where I receive complimentary upgrades to first class. Even if I were able to be upgraded to first class, because of the nature of this trip I will not be able to engage in any boozing or "sophomoric humor" (as one genteel FT user pointed out in a previous post).

Since you have pointed out that you are familiar with my posts, I think you would agree that this trip must be very, very, very important for me to refrain from my "antics" on the plane.

I am not trying to play anyone for a fool. What I am doing is reaching out to a virtual community of knowledgeable and experienced people who all share the same common nucleus of air travel. I highly respect the insight and knowledge of everyone on this message board. I turn to it for insight, humor, and pleasure reading.

I think the only person you can "play for a fool" is, in fact, a fool. Do you see what I am getting at? Nice name, by the way. Giggle! Giggle!
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:56 am

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Originally Posted by hoppingabird
I think the only person you can "play for a fool" is, in fact, a fool. Do you see what I am getting at? Nice name, by the way. Giggle! Giggle!
So glad you like the name. Suggest that you spend a little time learning about Yorkshire. You can probably find it somewhere on Twitter.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:01 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Do you sleep at night? And you don't tweet / text while you sleep, right? So just knock yourself out on the flight.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Wow. How do you manage to sleep at night? Or do you wake up every 2 hours to text and tweet?
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Funny that you should mention it, I actually do not sleep that many hours each night. I need to be working, socializing, or using my phone. Most nights it is a combination of all three.

The hardest part about having no cell phone service on this flight is the actually powering down of the phone or turning it to "airplane mode." I have never turned my cell phone off before when it wasn't required by the FAA.

My cell phone stays on during meetings, movies, plays, in museums, ect.

Many of my friends and close acquaintances seem to think this cell phone "disorder" (if you can call it that?) is genetic. My father is a huge cell phone user. He has a special antenna on his pick up truck that allows him to pick up cell service in areas that may otherwise have no service and he has to have unlimited minutes, texting, and data. He probably checks his Twitter feed once every 6-7 minutes. He has the iphone case that adds to the battery life of the cell phone. These are just a few small examples.

Could it be genetic? I've already had to plug my phone into the charger twice this morning!
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Flying an airline that has WiFi? Get it. Then you can keep on Tweeting. Then you can let your followers know what state you are flying over. Or tweet a link to the FlightAware status for your flight. Then they can really keep tabs on you.

If you aren't flying an airline that offers WiFi, change flights.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I'd learn to disengage a bit. Seems you have a problem worse than many chain smokers.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:22 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
You can't smoke, can't booze this time and can't tweet.

Write your will; there is no way you will survive this terrible ordeal.

Or, go to a bookstore (google it) and buy a book. Only difficulty is that they contain full words and sentences.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:22 pm

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
Funny that you should mention it, I actually do not sleep that many hours each night. I need to be working, socializing, or using my phone. Most nights it is a combination of all three.

The hardest part about having no cell phone service on this flight is the actually powering down of the phone or turning it to "airplane mode." I have never turned my cell phone off before when it wasn't required by the FAA.

My cell phone stays on during meetings, movies, plays, in museums, ect.

Many of my friends and close acquaintances seem to think this cell phone "disorder" (if you can call it that?) is genetic. My father is a huge cell phone user. He has a special antenna on his pick up truck that allows him to pick up cell service in areas that may otherwise have no service and he has to have unlimited minutes, texting, and data. He probably checks his Twitter feed once every 6-7 minutes. He has the iphone case that adds to the battery life of the cell phone. These are just a few small examples.

Could it be genetic? I've already had to plug my phone into the charger twice this morning!
it is wrong so so wrong to keep a mobile on during a meeting at the cinema or theatre
it is people like that who RUIN the experience for others
if you cant be without your mobile for what are actually short periods of time then I think you have a serious problem----either that or you are just downright rude and inconsiderate
I wont apologise for being so blunt as I know this annoys so many people
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
(although I am not sure why anyone would willingly fly internationally)
Tickets on the Kansas City - Giggleswick boat were sold out...

I prefer taking the boat on that route because they usually allow me to throw a line in the water. Have you ever fished from a slow-moving boat? It's awesome.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Sleep
Read
Watch a movie or two

If you must break your flight into multiple segs. That way you can get liquored up at various airport bars and lounges all the while Tweeting about your expiriences as you transit various hubs.

Last edited by Gamecock; Jul 16, 2013 at 12:38 pm
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:43 pm

you really don't have many options. if there is a wifi option on the flight, get it. otherwise, you'll have to deal with not being able to twitter or text. i've leave it up to you as to what you can do to pass the time.

it's really that simple.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.