Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do I Really Need to Renew my Passpost w/i 6 Months?

Old Jul 15, 13, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat/QF Lifetime Gold/Bonvoy Lifetime Plat, Accor Plat, Ex-Hyatt Diamond

My US passport expires at then of August. I have a 1 week trip planned on BA to AMS and KLM to WAW in early August.

Seems to me that my passport is still valid. Do I really need to get a new one because I'm within 6 months of expiration?
Old Jul 15, 13, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat/QF Lifetime Gold/Bonvoy Lifetime Plat, Accor Plat, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Well, I found a helpful tool that answered my own question.

In my case, it looks like the UK (for transit) and Poland are fine for passport validity through my length of stay...but the big bad Netherlands require 3 extra months. Bummer. Why are the Netherlands so extreme? I guess they are protecting themselves against people that want to sneak away and hide?

Anyway, here's a good tool for these purposes:

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...alth/global/en
Old Jul 15, 13, 7:43 pm

Given the US (and many other nations) requires six months validity on passports, I don't think the Netherlands are the bad guys here. In fact they're being nicer to you than your country would be to their citizens.
Old Jul 15, 13, 7:45 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by nologic View Post
My US passport expires at then of August. I have a 1 week trip planned on BA to AMS and KLM to WAW in early August.

Seems to me that my passport is still valid. Do I really need to get a new one because I'm within 6 months of expiration?
Poland's requirement:
Your passport should be valid for at least three months beyond the period of stay. You must have sufficient funds and a return airline ticket.
Old Jul 15, 13, 9:10 pm

Programs: CX Diamond
Yes.

I know someone who, after 20+ hours or travel, was denied entry into the destination country because their passport had less than 6 months validity.

If you don't you are highly likely to be on the next return flight.
Old Jul 16, 13, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mdevans View Post
Yes.

I know someone who, after 20+ hours or travel, was denied entry into the destination country because their passport had less than 6 months validity.

If you don't you are highly likely to be on the next return flight.
OK, mea culpa. I should have sent it in a couple of months ago. Now I'll have to do it in person and pay expedite fee.
Old Jul 16, 13, 8:11 am

Programs: CA Gold/ UA 1K.. Marriott/SPG Platinum
As stated, you do realize the United States requires Citizens of other Countries, China, Indonesia, for example, to have a passport valid for six months plus their intended stay. So, to say the Netherlands is strict, look at your own Country.
Old Jul 16, 13, 8:14 am

Programs: UA silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Yup, definitely need the expedited service. I recently did the regular service to renew my passport and it took a solid 5 weeks. Fortunately, it showed up 2 weeks before my trip to the Netherlands (speaking of which).

You do not want to show up to the airport, only to be denied boarding by the airline. OR to show up in country, only to be denied by immigration and sent back home.
Old Jul 16, 13, 3:56 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I never understand why people would allow their passports to almost expire/expire before getting a new one... I would never be willing to chance a country not letting me in due to a passport not having enough validity.
Old Jul 16, 13, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Both the Netherlands and the US are part of the "six month club", so you're probably technically okay, but I would still renew my passport if I were in your shoes.
http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/104770.pdf
Old Jul 16, 13, 10:04 pm

Programs: JL/JGC Diamond (OWE), AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, A3 *G, Marriott Plat, Hertz 5*, National Exec
I will put a dissent option up here.
I would probably still say yes renew w/i 6 months but for 1 of my passport one time, I did run it down to about 20 days to go, because the country I visit on that passport with that one doesn't have a 6 month requirement and my record with them have been very long term and clean too.
Each to their own, but seem the other poster have found out u need to renew regardless.
Old Jul 17, 13, 12:01 am

Had similar issue 3-4 months ago. Couldn't find a window without int travel and ended up traveling inside of the last 6 months of validity on my primary passport (dual citizen) EU/Switzerland/hong kong etc from the US. Most immigration people mentioned it, but never any issue. I had my "backup passport" just in case, but never had to use it.
Old Jul 22, 13, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Icecat View Post
Poland's requirement:
So, both Poland and Netherlands require three months beyond expiration? Where can I go to print out a document to that effect?

I am flying BOS-LHR-AMS, then AMS-WAW, then WAW-AMS, and then AMS-LHR-BOS (only exiting customs in the Netherlands and Poland).

It turns out that I have 4.5 months remaining.

Last edited by nologic; Jul 22, 13 at 5:25 pm
Old Jul 22, 13, 8:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nologic View Post
So, both Poland and Netherlands require three months beyond expiration? Where can I go to print out a document to that effect?
The airlines all use a system called TIMATIC to determine validity of documents for travel. Many airlines have a version of the TIMATIC system available to customers. United is one of them: http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps...aspx?i=TIMATIC.
Old Jul 23, 13, 3:13 am

Schengen - recent change

There is going to be a lot of confusion over the next few weeks because...:

Until this week Schengen countries required passports of non-visa nationals to be valid for the duration of their intended stay only.

About four weeks ago the EU quietly decided to change this and require three months extra validity with effect from this week. They didn't make a big announcement (at least none that I saw); I'm only aware of it because of a thread on another travel forum.

Schengen always required three months validity for those who need a visa, but until last week those who don't require a visa did not need those extra three months.

The new requirement does not, of course, affect EU nationals (as it would be a breach of their free movement rights).

BTW, contrary to what some people think the USA has no six months requirement for visa waiver nationals. The passport requirement is "must be valid for the period of intended stay" (that's quoted from Timatic)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: