Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do I Really Need to Renew my Passpost w/i 6 Months?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do I Really Need to Renew my Passpost w/i 6 Months?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2013, 4:46 am

Programs: BA GfL
If you are a regular traveler, I recommend renewing it so your passport is valid for another 10 years. But if you're not a frequent traveler, I wouldn't worry about 6 month validity. I've traveled with 3 months validity and have not encountered any problems. The US has reciprocal agreements with several countries that automatically extend the life of a passport for another six months. The effect is you can use your passport until it's expiration date (but not beyond): http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/104770.pdf
Old Jul 23, 2013, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
There is going to be a lot of confusion over the next few weeks because...:

Schengen always required three months validity for those who need a visa, but until last week those who don't require a visa did not need those extra three months.
So, how does this affect me with 4.5 months of time left before expiration for the Netherlands and Poland?
Old Jul 23, 2013, 9:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nologic
So, how does this affect me with 4.5 months of time left before expiration for the Netherlands and Poland?
You require 3 months validity beyond the scheduled end date of your trip. While the "free extra 6 months" linked above might work in theory I would not depend on an airline agent to know that rule and to accept it. And since they are the ones who decide if you get on the plane or not - something which must happen before the immigration officer can make a decision - I wouldn't take the risk.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 1:14 pm

Will you have three months left on the day you are planning to leave Schengen? If so then you're OK.

I don't know why they've brought in this rule. It's such a retrograde step.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 5:10 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Entering the USA has always required 6 months left on the passport. That's why UK residents, renewing early because of this, get additional months on their passport validity.

In other words, say your UK passport expires on 31 July, and you are going to the US in March. Renew the passport in February and you will get 10 years + the extra 5 months, and your passport will still expire on 31 July. If you see this coming and renew in November or December, you will still get the 10 years + the extra 7/8 months, and your passport will still expire on 31 July.

My current passport had 10 years and 10 months to run when I got it back. ^
Old Jul 24, 2013, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by 1P
Entering the USA has always required 6 months left on the passport.
This is a myth. Or maybe it's something that was true in the past but isn't any more. The requirement for British citizens (and other visa waiver nationals) is "must be valid for the period of intended stay". See Timatic...:

National United Kingdom (GB)
Embarkation United Kingdom (GB)/Destination USA (US)

USA (US)

Passport required.
- Passports issued to nationals of United Kingdom must be

valid for the period of intended stay.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 1:04 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
This is a myth. Or maybe it's something that was true in the past but isn't any more. The requirement for British citizens (and other visa waiver nationals) is "must be valid for the period of intended stay". See Timatic...:
Here's the advice on the UK Passport renew online website:
http://www.passport.uk.com/faqs.php

How long must my passport be valid for international travel?

Most countries require that a passport be valid for at least six months beyond the completion of a trip. If your passport expires sooner than that, you must apply to renew your passport.
and

When should I renew my passport?

You don’t have to wait until your passport expires before you can renew it. You can apply for a renewal up to 9 months before your passport expires. IPS will add this remaining time from your present passport to the new one. Be aware that some countries ask for six months validity on your passport.
Both of these have certainly been true for me in the past. It does appear, though, that the rules have now changed.

On the US Customs and Border Protection website we find the following:

Visitors traveling to the U.S. are required to be in possession of passports that are valid for six months beyond the period of their intended stay in the U.S. For a list of countries exempt from the six month rule, see Six Month Club.
On consulting this document (cited above by soitgoes and Peregrine415), we find a list of countries "THAT EXTEND PASSPORT VALIDITY FOR AN ADDITIONAL SIX MONTHS AFTER EXPIRATION ". It is a long list, and includes the U.K. However, anecdotal evidence suggests that anyone trying to enter the U.S. with less than 6 months to go on their passport will still encounter difficulties, regardless of the change in ruling.

Last edited by 1P; Jul 24, 2013 at 1:32 pm Reason: updating info
Old Jul 24, 2013, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by 1P
Here's the advice on the UK Passport renew online website:
http://www.passport.uk.com/faqs.php
The URL says it all... passport.uk.com

UK government sites end in .gov.uk

This is NOT "the UK passport renew online website". It's one of those dubious sites that consumer magazines warn you about, that try to fool people into parting with their money by making themselves look official. If you look up the address published on their web site (at least they ARE publishing an address...) you will find it's a private house.

The text you are quoting is just something someone has made up...

Don't trust everything you read on the Internet. Always check to see if you're looking at an official site - if in doubt do a Whois look-up on the domain name.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 5:15 am

Although I have never accessed this service, my travel agent had a client lose three days of a trip because the information on the Timatic system was outdated. I'm a big fan of the belt and suspender approach, since rules change so frequently: In addition to the obvious government websites, I also call airlines and consulates if the rules are not clear.

On my last trip to Australia, my agent was very concerned that the airline might stop me, even though 6 month validity wasn't necessary. Two weeks before departure, I made an appointment for an expedited passport on the basis that I needed visas for this trip. It was a dream process, much to my surprise, and I had a new passport in hand in 24 hours.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 7:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Mickidon
I'm a big fan of the belt and suspender approach, since rules change so frequently: In addition to the obvious government websites, I also call airlines and consulates if the rules are not clear.
I'd also rather take the extra steps to prevent being turned away at the gate or worse at the entry point of a foreign country.

Another item for frequent travellers remember is empty pages. In addition to validity requirements some countries require at least two empty pages and I've seen gate agents checking for them.

Canadian passports can be renewed with one year of remaining validity and my application goes in immediately after I enter the final year. It does cost me a little more but that is preferable to playing passport roulette.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by sbm12
The airlines all use a system called TIMATIC to determine validity of documents for travel. Many airlines have a version of the TIMATIC system available to customers. United is one of them: http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps...aspx?i=TIMATIC.
Do BA and KLM have a similar customer access for somethign like this?
Old Jul 29, 2013, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by wharvey
I never understand why people would allow their passports to almost expire/expire before getting a new one... I would never be willing to chance a country not letting me in due to a passport not having enough validity.
I don't like to use never but this is a case where it applies. Dont like to be without passport. Why chance it when there you don't know how long it will take to get it renewed inthe first place.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 11:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Do BA and KLM have a similar customer access for somethign like this?
No idea, but it is ultimately the same data they all use on the back-end, even if they don't publish it out to consumers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.