Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

English speaking percentages

Old Jun 19, 2013, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Gold

Anyone speaking ANY language will be fine in RIO, ...as long as one sticks to the known areas, it is a tourist destination (don't go to a Favela on your own, please!)

But Rio is not Amsterdam.
See map below...

Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:10 pm

Interesting map- more Scandinavians than Canadians speak English and less than 40% of South Africans do.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Interesting map- more Scandinavians than Canadians speak English and less than 40% of South Africans do.
I always assumed that all Canadian Francohphones speak English too. I guess I was not 100% right.

SouthAfrica does not surprise me at all, they have seven official languages.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's what jumped out at me too. Of course it's not known what "speak English" means here, in terms of very basic stuff a tourist can understand to being fluent.

That said, it looks to me like Brazil is under the "No Data" column.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by carlosdca
I always assumed that all Canadian Francohphones speak English too. I guess I was not 100% right.

SouthAfrica does not surprise me at all, they have seven official languages.

11 Official languages as indicated by your map but having spent 3 months hitchhiking around South Africa in the early nineties it still surprises me that English as the lingua franca is spoken by less than 40% - perhaps as a hitchhiker the population that I was exposed to was car owners and that was no doubt a more English-speaking skewed population.

I found this quote which supports the general number indicated on your initial map.

Despite attempts to promote multilingualism, only 45% of the population have a basic grasp of English whilst 22% of the population fully understand political policy and administrative statements made in English.
http://www.capetownmagazine.com/sa-languages

And to not completely hijack your thread standingoten the Accor Super Sale that ends in just over 7 hours includes some Rio properties at 50% off for stays until the end of August. Rates for the Mercures at Ipanema/Leblon under $140/night are very rarely seen.

http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/promot...zyprices.shtml

Last edited by 3544quebec; Jun 21, 2013 at 12:51 am
Old Jun 27, 2013, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
That can't be right, surely... More people speak English in Papua New Guinea than in South Africa? carlosdca, what is the source of this figure?

And anyway, doesn't the colour of Brazil (and the rest of South America) mean "no data"?
Old Jun 27, 2013, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
That can't be right, surely... More people speak English in Papua New Guinea than in South Africa? carlosdca, what is the source of this figure?

And anyway, doesn't the colour of Brazil (and the rest of South America) mean "no data"?

This thread is about Rio...wish all the posts related to the map could be deleted (MODS?)

Anyone speaking any language will get by in Rio as they would in Istanbul or any other tourist destination. But Brazilians don't speak English, in general. I have been there. It is my anecdotal experience. Take it for what it is worth.

Last edited by carlosdca; Jun 27, 2013 at 7:35 pm
Old Jun 28, 2013, 6:14 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Oh it's very much my experience too (you get an early warning when you realise that even some of the immigration officers don't speak *any* English at all). I am just, like a number of other posters, fascinated by the map and would be keen to read more about it in its original context, if you'd be so kind to share.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
Oh it's very much my experience too (you get an early warning when you realise that even some of the immigration officers don't speak *any* English at all). I am just, like a number of other posters, fascinated by the map and would be keen to read more about it in its original context, if you'd be so kind to share.
Ok..let's hijack the thread again...

Source of original map:
http://chartsbin.com/view/2892

Other maps/links:
http://wikitravel.org/shared/File:Wo...by_country.svg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ing_population

According to the stats collected in Wikipedia, Papua New Guinea has 50% of English Speakers vs. 29% in South Africa.

Turkey, 17%

Brazil...5%...
Old Jun 28, 2013, 1:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
This thread is about Rio...wish all the posts related to the map could be deleted (MODS?)
MODS? You'll need to ask something like "Where can I get a good blowjob in Rio?" before you'll see prompt moderator action.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 9:08 pm

Thats what happens when you post a map that has no information about % of English speakers in Rio/Brazil but lots of other interesting pieces of data
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Thats what happens when you post a map that has no information about % of English speakers in Rio/Brazil but lots of other interesting pieces of data
Old Jul 2, 2013, 3:21 am

And that from a dead horse vendor
Old Jul 2, 2013, 8:26 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Where do I get me that emoticon? Seriously - can you please PM me the link or download or whatever?

Simply genius ^^
Old Jul 2, 2013, 11:00 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I've moved this over to travel buzz from the original thread since its not really GLBT

Peteropny - co-mod - glbt

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.