Reload this Page >

Asiana (OZ214) (777-200LR) ICN-SFO Crashes on touchdown at SFO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asiana (OZ214) (777-200LR) ICN-SFO Crashes on touchdown at SFO

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2013, 3:35 pm

KTVU still has a lower half banner stating 2 dead. Watching CNN and other news sources, no one is able to confirm injuries or casualties. I am hoping for the latter.

My vote is for another BA38 type of incident. Loss of power or critical flight systems on final.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 3:36 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by CaptRobPhD
3 degrees is pretty standard, ~700-800 feet per minute in final approach segment. At higher altitudes and even in terminal area, greater rates and angles of descent are used as a matter of normal operations. Within a few thousand feet of the ground, anything more than 1000 feet per minute (or 3.5 degrees or so) are irregular and usually driven by approach needs (then generally terrain). I've landed at SFO on the 28s hundreds of times and either a normal ILS (but not 28L) currently or a visual approach are standard and easy--nothing special about them. Don't know about validity of a steeper than normal approach today, but that would be unusual in triple 7 esp. in SFO. If not an engine, I suspect we will see that out of service glideslope being a contributing factor.
Thanks for the explanation, CaptRob. So it does seem by the graphic that today's descent was steeper than normal. Can you shed some light on why this would be an unusual occurance and what sort of circumstances would cause a pilot to choose a steeper descent? (I've bolded the part of your post I am referring to).

Edit: just saw your post #212 after I posted this. Thanks again for the explanations.

Last edited by Finkface; Jul 6, 2013 at 3:37 pm Reason: Saw previous response.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 3:36 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Blah Blah...
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
So far these three posts are the most informational regarding the incident. It would be really nice to see others take more thoughtful approach. Yeah I know its FT, but the mouth masturbation by some is truly amazaing.
Yep fair point. Based upon general flight rules, one of the following caused the incident.

1. Pilot Error
2. Mechanical Failure
3. Outside influences

Issue 1. could be due to a number of things, including
a) Tiredness
b) Medical Incident
c) Automation Complacency
d) Training Error

Issue 2.
a) Instrument Failure
b) Hydraulic Failure
c) Electrical Failure
d) Structural Failure
e) Maintenance Failure
f) Design Failure

Issue 3.
a) Weather
b) Sabotage
c) 3rd Party - Other Plane etc
d) Interference - Run Way incursion etc
d) Communication/Guidance Failure - eg. ILS Failure

Or any/some/none of the above. Who knows, lets all continue to speculate
Old Jul 6, 2013, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Petrus
KTVU still has a lower half banner stating 2 dead. Watching CNN and other news sources, no one is able to confirm injuries or casualties. I am hoping for the latter.

My vote is for another BA38 type of incident. Loss of power or critical flight systems on final.
Too early to speculate but my thoughts ran to a BA38-type incident. Though there doesn't seem to be any sign of the port-side engine.

A difference between BA38 and OZ214 is that G-YMMM had RR engines and this a/c had P&W engines with a different FOHE.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 3:40 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Blah Blah...
Originally Posted by Petrus

(The Mighty) Petrus, you do have a good point. Failing to get to the start of the runway is very similar.

Although BA38 was down to ice in the fuel filter due to flying over the artic (which they have adapted the fuel filter to stop that happening)...
Old Jul 6, 2013, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, National Executive
Unusual in that damned near all big airports have "easy" approaches with standard descent rates; like I said previously, most foreign carriers use the ILS a supermajority of arrival regardless of weather. They are standard worldwide and lower arrival risk by giving a very predictable profile that doesn't necessarily require "local knowledge" [or great stick/rudder since often they are 'coupled']...

Did CNN just have ground to air saying "vehicles on the way" or was that pilot-to-tower from in the grass? If in the air, this is likely mechanical...given the small fire, hope this wasnt fuel-related
Old Jul 6, 2013, 3:46 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by ripvan
Has anyone seen the 2nd engine in pictures or video?
I have not, I did notice what appears to be the rear landing gear on the runway near the "28L" markings.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 3:47 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by ripvan
Has anyone seen the 2nd engine in pictures or video?
I think it's under the fuselage, having detached then been run over. Possibly started the fire?
Old Jul 6, 2013, 3:48 pm

Did CNN just have ground to air saying "vehicles on the way" or was that pilot-to-tower from in the grass? If in the air, this is likely mechanical...given the small fire, hope this wasnt fuel-related
My vote is that the aircraft was on the ground. you can hear the full recording and some comments from UA885 (the 744 waiting to take off) discussing the immediate aftermath here https://t.co/FDffwcTe0M
Old Jul 6, 2013, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 2P, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, National EE, Avis PC
Unusual in that damned near all big airports have "easy" approaches with standard descent rates; like I said previously, most foreign carriers use the ILS a supermajority of arrival regardless of weather. They are standard worldwide and lower arrival risk by giving a very predictable profile that doesn't necessarily require "local knowledge" [or great stick/rudder since often they are 'coupled']...

I believe the communication was post-crash
Old Jul 6, 2013, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Tim_T
I can't believe some passengers took their hand baggage with them during the evacuation. In one photo someone is walking away from the slide with a roller case.
Oh, I definitely believe it. If course, if I were behind them in the aisle I think a punch to the face and a shove toward the door would have been in order. Just MNSHO.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 3:50 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)

From what I understood, that recording is ATC ground to air as the first sentence was the ATC giving permission to land. The pilot's response can't be made out. Then, ATC tells him that emergency vehicles are responding. That's why I thought it was ground to air as the first transmission was ATC clearing him to land. i could definitely be wrong, though.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 3:52 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by matthudski
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
So far these three posts are the most informational regarding the incident. It would be really nice to see others take more thoughtful approach. Yeah I know its FT, but the mouth masturbation by some is truly amazaing.
Yep fair point. Based upon general flight rules, one of the following caused the incident.

1. Pilot Error
2. Mechanical Failure
3. Outside influences

Issue 1. could be due to a number of things, including
a) Tiredness
b) Medical Incident
c) Automation Complacency
d) Training Error

Issue 2.
a) Instrument Failure
b) Hydraulic Failure
c) Electrical Failure
d) Structural Failure
e) Maintenance Failure
f) Design Failure

Issue 3.
a) Weather
b) Sabotage
c) 3rd Party - Other Plane etc
d) Interference - Run Way incursion etc
d) Communication/Guidance Failure - eg. ILS Failure

Or any/some/none of the above. Who knows, lets all continue to speculate
And 3 could include something like bird strike leading to 2
Old Jul 6, 2013, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface
From what I understand, that recording is ATC ground to air as the first sentence was the ATC giving permission to land.
That doesn't necessarily mean the aircraft was still in the air. Usually there is no communication from Clear To Land till the aircraft is exiting the runway and told to contact ground.

I would guess the aircraft was on the ground and the garbled communication was an attempt at a Mayday.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 3:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FijiBill
Watching the live feed from ABC. From the debris on the runway it looks like it landed short. There is stuff all the way to the riprap seawall.
Looking at the photos available now, he landed short and off the centerline to the right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.