Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asiana (OZ214) (777-200LR) ICN-SFO Crashes on touchdown at SFO

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2013, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
Maritime grabbed all the good words and phrases first

"Souls" may be maritime usage. Upon leaving the coast of the Canadian Maritimes I have heard this from ATC: "How many souls have you on board?".
Old Jul 6, 2013, 9:35 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Yeah, the fourth definition. Certainly not common usage. Would you ever go to a restaurant and ask for a table for four souls?
No but it's common usage in this context.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 9:38 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by dhuey
That's what I was thinking -- the FAs' jump seats at the very back were probably the worst place to be on the plane. That looked to be the point where the tail section broke off.

But at least one of them was a Chinese national. Would OZ hire Chinese FAs?
Old Jul 6, 2013, 9:52 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by guv1976
A simple Google search for "'souls on board' origin" yielded this enlightening result:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4195804AAiD1ce
Most interesting.

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Certainly not common usage. Would you ever go to a restaurant and ask for a table for four souls?
Actually quite common in the correct context. Sailing ships have their own unique jargon. Jargon which has moved from sailing ships to air ships. But not all. For instance, on sailing ship the bathroom is the head, on plane it is a lavatory, in a restaurant it is a restroom.

So you might not ask for a table for four souls you probably would not ask for the lavatory either.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Jul 6, 2013 at 10:00 pm
Old Jul 6, 2013, 9:56 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Thanks for the etymology on the word "souls" in this context. You learn something new every day.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
But at least one of them was a Chinese national. Would OZ hire Chinese FAs?
At least Chinese speakers - almost 2/3 originated in Shanghai and were Chinese nationals
Old Jul 6, 2013, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
Originally Posted by Analise
Next, I can't help but think about the safety of lap babies during a crash. Those passengers who opt to travel with a baby in their laps instead of spending the money for a separate seat; how effective do you think a parent's arms are in restraining babies from not being thrown to the ceiling of the plane after such a hard impact on landing?
Not at all effective. As an FA in a candid moment what they call lap infants (projectiles). At 35mph crash into a solid wall is 40-50gs. This wasn't that, but it was a lot faster. Can you hold onto the 10# infant who is suddenly 100#s pulling away from you?
Old Jul 6, 2013, 10:31 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by MahiMahi524
KRON reports the 2 fatalities were found on the tarmac.

http://news.kron4.com/news/boeing-777-crashes-at-sfo/
The above report has been updated.

Both are Chinese nationals found outside the plane and on the runway / tarmac. (I have read both tarmac and runway).

NOTE: Just because they were found outside the plane does not mean they were ejected from the plane. They could have walked away from the plane and then passed away from trauma or from natural causes related to the crash (i.e. heart attack).

Speculate away ...
Old Jul 6, 2013, 10:38 pm

I always have fear of flying and this doesn't make life easy. Would people evacuate orderly in such situation ?
Old Jul 6, 2013, 10:39 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Exclamation

We know that this topic is getting a lot of discussion and coverage across the world and on FlyerTalk. However, we're seeing discussion occur across multiple forums.

In order to help streamline discussion, please continue the conversation in the Asiana forum here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asian...ul-2013-a.html

Thanks for your understanding. /Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.