Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Best route to avoid turbulence over the Andes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2013, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Is it even possible, to fly into Lima via a route that has the least amount of turbulence? I live in Florida. The 2 times I have flow to LIM: once was MIA-DFW-LIM via Continental, and the oxygen masks came down; the other was MIA-SAL-LIM (a nice daytime flight) and return LIM-SJO-MIA, choppy from LIM until we were over Panama, both on Taca. These were June flights.

I was told the DFW flight was especially rough because it was overnight and the cool night air meets with daytime heat coming off the bare (rock) Andes. Flying along the Pacific coastline in the daytime there is chop of the sea air meeting with the Andes.

I need to make a flight out of MIA-LIM in October and I have some flexibility in airline and schedule, i.e. day better than evening, etc, as well as routing.

The smaller interior segments LIM-CUZ, LIM-IQT, LIM-JUL don't bother me.

Any travelers who do this route frequently and can recommend the best options? And yes, I do take a Valium, which helps...somewhat.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 5:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold

Best option is to take boat. You may become seasick but no air turbulence. You can take the bus or car as well for some of your journey. Safe travels ..
Old Jul 6, 2013, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
My flights over the Pacific rarely have the seatbelt sign on for most of the flight (typically SFO/LIM). LAX/LIM is similar.

The front of the plane is typically better than the rear, so it looks like you'll have to fly to California and buy a front cabin widebody seat to have the best chance of light chop, but that is no guarantee.

You can always fly MIA/EZE/SCL/LIM. The SCL/LIM segment is almost always smooth, and the EZE/SCL typically is a smooth cordillera crossing. Of course, you can have pretty nasty equatorial chop.

My alternatives will probably add a thousand bucks each way,and add another day of travel, but you asked....
Old Jul 8, 2013, 4:08 pm

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
LAN 767s don't have the extra oxygen to fly over the top of the Andes, they route around most of the big lumps by staying out just over the Pacific and then turn right for Miami
Old Jul 9, 2013, 10:15 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by DFWsakp
Best option is to take boat. You may become seasick but no air turbulence. You can take the bus or car as well for some of your journey. Safe travels ..
That was really helpful considering he asked specifically about flying on a flying forum.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the creative postings.

Talked to someone who flies (Copa) out of MCO through PTY, then routes along the coastline to LIM, daytime flights. Said the departures and returns are usually smooth, with only a small bit of chop along a part of Ecuador.

This is versus the turbulence and ever-present chop in the usual flights out of MIA that go over Colombia, across the Amazon, and follow the spine of the Andes.

Maybe I'll just take a med and say to heck with it.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 9:49 pm

Programs: QFWP; HH Diamond
+1 for the Copa option. I've done MIA-PTY-LIM and return a few times and no issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.