Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Corporate Flight Policies for Employees Booking Business/First Class?

Corporate Flight Policies for Employees Booking Business/First Class?

Old Jul 25, 2018, 7:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Bluebrummie2000
By any chance does anyone have an example text from a successful doctor's note that allowed a medical exception to the 'Y' policy for flights below 8 hours?
Can't help, but can only share - at my old employer, if you needed a medical exception for J travel, the company didn't let you travel.
Proudelitist likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 2:20 am

Programs: BA GfL, IHG Diamond, HH Diamond
Hi BThumme - of course that is the risk one takes in trying to claim a dispensation
Old Jul 26, 2018, 10:07 am
Suspended

My company allows J for flights over 12 hours, with approval from above. We go to Asia frequently, so that's not a problem. However, I have been aggravatingly close on some routes to Europe and South America and end up upgrading out of pocket. DCA to GRU was exactly 12. LAX to LHR is 11.

Even when the policy restricts me to a Y ticket, our booking system permits us to include our own FF account numbers and collect rewards. I am an AA Plat, soon to be Exec. Plat later this week when my recent transpacs hit...but in addition the company itself get's Pref. status, so my base booking tends to be MCE or Pref, and I get UG'd from there to J or F either by auto-ugs, a cheap out of pocket buy up, or by dropping a few 500 Mile UGs to maintain status. I won't have to do that after Exec however.

Although AA is my airline of choice, their presence in my base city is not terribly strong, although the OW alliance helps. WN is...but I hate them with a fiery passion and have learned to work the auto-exception messages in our travel software to justify taking AA instead, even if it means stops and barbie jets (I have no problem with barbie jets). "Scheduling" is my favorite excuse, even when not true. I don't ever buy Biz Select at booking, I don't fly WN enough to have A List, however on the rare occasions when I HAVE to endure WN I do buy EBCI out of pocket or ug my position during a cheap gate-upgrade opportunity.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 10:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
Our policy: No.

(Incidentally, no upgrades, even free ones.)
That's both stupid and difficult to enforce. Once the booking is made and paid for, how would they know you ended up upgraded later?

What if it wasn't even a frequent flier upgrade or buy up, but a rare bit of luck...your seat is broken, Y is full, suddenly you are in F? Are you supposed to turn it down?

I had a boss that was just terrible. I had been a VERY frequent flier prior to going to that company, so I had tons and tons of miles and was still enjoying the benefits of high tier elite status, and getting auto upgrades on every flight we were taking. Not only that, I was skilled at booking the lowest fares. A colleague...let's call him "Jones"...and I had to fly somewhere for a meeting. I paid 200 something for my base fare, and Jones paid almost 300 for the same flight. I got upgraded to F. Boss hears about it and tries to dress me down for it..."You are not supposed to fly in First Class"...I told him I bought a coach ticket. He says "You are not supposed to fly First Class". I explained how FF programs work. I also explained that my upgrade, was..technically..up to the airline, not me. "You are not supposed to fly First Class. It doesn't look good to your peers".

Of course, he got fired months later for expense abuses.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
That's both stupid and difficult to enforce. Once the booking is made and paid for, how would they know you ended up upgraded later?

What if it wasn't even a frequent flier upgrade or buy up, but a rare bit of luck...your seat is broken, Y is full, suddenly you are in F? Are you supposed to turn it down?

I had a boss that was just terrible. I had been a VERY frequent flier prior to going to that company, so I had tons and tons of miles and was still enjoying the benefits of high tier elite status, and getting auto upgrades on every flight we were taking. Not only that, I was skilled at booking the lowest fares. A colleague...let's call him "Jones"...and I had to fly somewhere for a meeting. I paid 200 something for my base fare, and Jones paid almost 300 for the same flight. I got upgraded to F. Boss hears about it and tries to dress me down for it..."You are not supposed to fly in First Class"...I told him I bought a coach ticket. He says "You are not supposed to fly First Class". I explained how FF programs work. I also explained that my upgrade, was..technically..up to the airline, not me. "You are not supposed to fly First Class. It doesn't look good to your peers".

Of course, he got fired months later for expense abuses.
I used to work for a company with this policy, and yes, we were supposed to decline upgrades. They made us submit boarding passes with our expense reports (which obviously doesn't address BFUGs, but they thought it did). As with what you described, it was 100% an image and perception thing - they didn't want anyone to be seen enjoying anything that could be seen as elite or luxurious. This even ended up costing them more $ sometimes since a free upgrade would sometimes mean one less meal I had to buy.

I stopped working there for many reasons, travel related and not.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 12:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Target is rumored to have a 100% coach (or basic economy I suspect if available), no exceptions even for free upgrades, policy. They also want their employees to use ULCC carriers.

OTOH, I know someone whose employer offered to buy a FC ticket for coast to coast travel fairly late in a pregnancy. This was even before USA carriers started selling domestic FC cheap.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 1:37 pm

I wish glassdoor had more information on companies and their policies. It's just something I'm fascinated by, as it's just all over the place, regardless of company size.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gooselee
I used to work for a company with this policy, and yes, we were supposed to decline upgrades. They made us submit boarding passes with our expense reports (which obviously doesn't address BFUGs, but they thought it did). As with what you described, it was 100% an image and perception thing - they didn't want anyone to be seen enjoying anything that could be seen as elite or luxurious. This even ended up costing them more $ sometimes since a free upgrade would sometimes mean one less meal I had to buy.

I stopped working there for many reasons, travel related and not.
This is just it. UG's can actually SAVE money...and they certainly don't COST money. If I get to eat in a lounge, and I get meals served in-flight, that's less meal expenses. I just submitted an expense report for a trip to Thailand last week, and I had two meals to submit for the whole week. On the way out I ate at the OW lounge at LAX, then ate on the plane. On the way back, the CX lounge on the HKG stop. Lunch. Then meals on the flight back to LAX. Then dinner in the OW lounge there between that and my connection. In Thailand itself my hotel had free breakfasts, and my business hosts there took care of my lunches and dinners, as it was Asia they felt they had to take me out every night The two nights they didn't I expensed my own dinner. But compared to a domestic trip in Y and 3 meals a day at a conference or other trip, I spent nearly nothing on food thanks to flying in J.

And policies that restrict employees to just one carrier, hotel chain, rental car company etc are always a bad idea. Inevitably you end up paying more..even with a corporate rate..when competitors slash their prices for whatever reason. I worked for a company that was all about WN because they thought it was cheapest...it's not. I have had the conversation too many times...I save the company a few hundred (and in once case, 2k) and get asked why I didn't spend more to stick with their preferred vendor. Yeah..maybe there is another contractual incentive somewhere..but my bottom line is my budget, and that's my responsibility.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
And policies that restrict employees to just one carrier, hotel chain, rental car company etc are always a bad idea. Inevitably you end up paying more..even with a corporate rate..when competitors slash their prices for whatever reason. I worked for a company that was all about WN because they thought it was cheapest...it's not. I have had the conversation too many times...I save the company a few hundred (and in once case, 2k) and get asked why I didn't spend more to stick with their preferred vendor. Yeah..maybe there is another contractual incentive somewhere..but my bottom line is my budget, and that's my responsibility.
Not always true! Lot of large companies have framework agreements with hotels and airlines and will get benefits (even with decent kick-backs at the end of the year or discounts to the tickets behind the scenes) based on the number of flights and nights booked. So, if a smart employee undermines that by booking the $200 cheaper flight on the non preferred carrier or a different hotel chain, at some point might mean the company will not be able to negotiate favorable rates for next year as they wont make their quota. This eventually could mean more cost to the company! As an example my last company lost the company rate at chain where we had a flat rate fee 365days a year at a specific property where we have to stay quite often (only decent hotel around...). So instead of paying a flat $200 now we had to pay anything between $230 and $500 (e.g. during high season and trade shows). Losing the company rate costed the company thousands of $$$ which might not have happened if they would have enforced to have everybody stay at properties of that chain.

Sure, if you have to manage your departments budget you might not see it. I think the company needs to make it clear to their managers why a policy like that makes a lot of sense.

Last edited by fassy; Jul 26, 2018 at 11:11 pm
Old Jul 27, 2018, 4:33 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
It would also make sense if the incentives are pro-rated back to the purchasing department. Instead I often see these directed to one or two areas. So individual managers pay negotiated rates which may not be the cheapest available impacting their budgets while others benefit via receiving the incentives / kickbacks. Essentially these deals are shadow budgeting one preferred functional area at the expense of other budgets.
tigertanaka and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Segments
Essentially these deals are shadow budgeting one preferred functional area at the expense of other budgets.
Im not an accountant but thats how I see it as well. Not fair to some departments but if you look at it from a corporate view, very usefully. e.g. next shareholders meeting where you have to show reduce in opex for department X but they wont care about department Y.

In in my company the shareholders never look at sales and business development cost, but want to save every penny on manufacturing operations...
Old Jul 31, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
(1) I've heard that some state government agencies have "no upgrade" policies in place...CA, in particular, seems to be pretty bad about this. It's about a frugal image. I suspect some exceptions might pop up if health concerns and/or disability issues come into the mix, but otherwise it is apparently a painfully hard policy.
(1a) I suspect that if you won the "broken seat" lottery, most "hard no-upgrade" agencies and companies would swallow it...those are rare enough that I think most of them would at least give you a pass on it once. A picture of the broken seat would probably help.
(2) In cases where there's a "hard" preferred vendor policy (e.g. "Thou shalt use this airline even if you have to fly into a different city and drive three hours when you could have gotten a cheaper flight overall into a close-by airport on another airline) as opposed to a softer one (e.g. "Use the preferred airline if you can, but if they don't fly there or there's a price difference of more than $X/X%, feel free to take the other option"), it seems like it would be a good idea for the company in question to give at least some sense of why the policy is that firm (arguably, in both directions: Down the chain so they don't get stuck playing "Whack-a-mole" with employees trying to save the company money and potentially "shooting" a good deal in the foot, and up the chain so it doesn't turn out that the travel office is manipulating the partnerships in question to get free travel).

Incidentally, the late AlanB once told me about how he got a long-term client to sign off on letting him take the Metroliner in First on a regular basis after he discovered that as a DC-NYC travel option (this was back in the 90s and the client basically didn't "get" the idea of taking a train):

His contract stipulated that travel time was to be paid for, but that hadn't generally been enforced too hard. If they wanted him in Coach on a flight, they could pay for the three hours of "airport time" generally required (plus the airline ticket that, IIRC, was more expensive than the Amtrak ticket)...or they could accept the Metroliner fare and not worry about travel time.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by BThumme
I wish glassdoor had more information on companies and their policies. It's just something I'm fascinated by, as it's just all over the place, regardless of company size.
This idea has potential website/forum written all over it...

Mike
Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by mikeef
This idea has potential website/forum written all over it...

Mike
This is the cloest I've ever found - Corporate Travel 100: Business Travel News - but it makes no mention of what the actual policies are - just preferred options for carriers and hotels. I used to work for a company in the top third, and we definitely had an all Y policy unless you're a suit, so it I'm guessing that list would surprise many.

But maybe I should make a website/forum specifically for this. I think it would be interesting to hear and have discussions about it. And ways to game it.

Last edited by BThumme; Jul 31, 2018 at 7:27 am
Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by BThumme
This is the cloest I've ever found - Corporate Travel 100: Business Travel News - but it makes no mention of what the actual policies are - just preferred options for carriers and hotels. I used to work for a company in the top third, and we definitely had an all Y policy unless you're a suit, so it I'm guessing that list would surprise many.

But maybe I should make a website/forum specifically for this. I think it would be interesting to hear and have discussions about it. And ways to game it.
Seems to me that it would have a somewhat small, but dedicated, following. Likely the kind of folks that advertisers are looking for.

Mike

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.