Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Corporate Flight Policies for Employees Booking Business/First Class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2013, 5:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by pragakhan
Exactly. But then again I do not value cash over my enjoyment and comfort in life. I am paid what I feel is appropriate for the work I do and I wouldn't feel better about supplementing it based on sitting in Y for extended periods of times when I don't really need to.

Don't worry, my wife thinks I am weird too
If your employer specified Y class travel would you pay the upgrade out of your own pocket or points?

I wouldn't for a flight but have paid the difference for an improved hotel room on business travel. The extra $50 a night meant the difference between the corporate-approved hotel that I loathed and a good night's sleep in a place I liked.

Last edited by Badenoch; Jul 14, 2013 at 12:29 pm
Old Jul 14, 2013, 6:39 am

Programs: AA 1MM; DL DM; Global Entry; MR Gold; HH Gold; Nat'l EC

Domestic: cheapest available Y fare. VP and above can fly J or F if over 4 hours (per segment, not overall trip time). If the VP is traveling on the same flight with a lower-ranked employee, that employee is also eligible for J/F.

Int'l: If the flight is under 4 hours, must be in Y,
otherwise biz. This rule applies to all employees. Technically, if you have a connection to a gateway (e.g., RDU to DFW), that leg would have to be in Y, even if the next leg (e.g., DFW to ICN) is in a premium cabin. In reality, we typically are booked by the TA into the front on both legs :-)

Lounge membership: not provided by the company. No worries, as I use my personal Amex Plat for this.

Preferred carriers: AA and DL.

Overall, a pretty generous travel policy, IMO.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 8:34 am

Programs: None anymore
Here's mine...

All employees must select the lowest available fare in Economy. Bookings must be made 14 days in advance of travel.

This applies to everyone, including the CEO - but he has a personal jet, so clearly he feels that Economy is not the way to travel.

Business Class can be used in these circumstances:
  • VP or above: On trips 8+ hours (one way)
  • Road Warriors: If you have completed 3 x 36-hour round trips in one year (in Economy), you may book Business Class for any further 36-hour round trips. Each leg must be 18-hours or greater, so multi-city trips don't qualify. And you have to re-qualify every year.
  • Everyone: If a Business Class fare is cheaper than an Economy fare
Generous, huh?
Old Jul 14, 2013, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Are there even any commercial nonstop flights over 18 hours long?
Old Jul 14, 2013, 10:51 am

Programs: None anymore
Each leg can include one connection, so if you are going to the opposite side of the planet it's possible.

It had crossed my mind that they might not actually want anybody to be able to use this part of the policy.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 7:54 pm
Formerly known as caveruner17

VP or above: Business for 5+ hour domestic flights or TATL/TPAC
Director: Business for TATL/TPAC only when traveling with VP or with VP approval
Everyone else: Coach, no matter what.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 8:02 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by stifle
Are there even any commercial nonstop flights over 18 hours long?
The only flight in the world is SQ21 SIN-EWR and it is ending Nov this year.

With the same success policy writers could write that Earth-Moon or longer flights are eligible for C class.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 12939
Here's mine...

All employees must select the lowest available fare in Economy. Bookings must be made 14 days in advance of travel.

This applies to everyone, including the CEO - but he has a personal jet, so clearly he feels that Economy is not the way to travel.

Business Class can be used in these circumstances:
  • VP or above: On trips 8+ hours (one way)
  • Road Warriors: If you have completed 3 x 36-hour round trips in one year (in Economy), you may book Business Class for any further 36-hour round trips. Each leg must be 18-hours or greater, so multi-city trips don't qualify. And you have to re-qualify every year.
  • Everyone: If a Business Class fare is cheaper than an Economy fare
Generous, huh?
Interesting definition of "road warrior"
Old Jul 14, 2013, 11:00 pm

Programs: QF Gold
Australian Company

9+ Hours = "Employee can elect to travel business class"

So Sydney -> Singapore = Economy due to 7.5 hours.

Sydney -> Hong Kong = Business due to 9 hrs 5 mins

I am yet to fly business yet. 3 trips so far (all over 9 hours) however I decided it was best to fly 1 in economy, 1 in full fare economy (rule due to it being a sales conference - all staff in economy), 1 in Premium Economy.

I should do the next trip in business so at least I can hit gold status.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 5:33 am

Programs: QF, Velocity, AA
Business for any flight over three hours, domestic or international. Seems very generous in comparison to what else I've read here....
Old Jul 15, 2013, 5:57 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Exactly. But then again I do not value cash over my enjoyment and comfort in life. I am paid what I feel is appropriate for the work I do and I wouldn't feel better about supplementing it based on sitting in Y for extended periods of times when I don't really need to.
That's music to an employer's ears. Because if it's really true, it means we could book you in Y and you'd pay the extra for J yourself, cos, like, you don't value cash over comfort.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 8:30 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Under 6 hours - Economy+/Comfort/Extra Room/ETC, or Economy if the particular flight doesn't offer an upgraded economy.

Over 6 hours or TATL - Business Class/Premium

Over 12 hours - First

Certain travel billed to the client under 12 hours can be First as well if agreed to in the contract.

Also regarding the discussion above of only highly paid employees being worth expensive travel, that may or may not be true depending on the industry. One of my past companies sent $50k a year technicians on F to client sites all the time and needed them to be well rested and ready to work on arrival.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 9:36 am

Programs: DL PM, MR Platinum, HP Diamond
Domestic: airfare must be within $100 of least expensive economy fare available for non-billable travel. For billable, it's typically best judgement, since we have requirements to be at client sites generally by 10AM on outbound travel days and cannot leave the client site until 3PM on return days. However, lowest available economy fare within the aforementioned parameters is required, and typically in my role, we book 1-2 months in advance. Airfare over $800 requires director (1 level below SVP) approval. This applies even to the CEO, though anyone has the option of buying an upgrade out of their own pocket, whether via cash, points, SWU, etc. Sales team might have the option of purchasing FC on the outbound portion if they have same day meetings, but that is just speculation. I also speculate that other departments book more flexible fares that make upgrades at booking a feasibility. But basically, our company does not deem anyone 'entitled' to FC fare unless significant hardship can be proven, and prefer to use other methods to provide incentive to frequent travelers (including exec. team).

International: All international travel requires SVP approval, and must be booked through company travel agency (use of travel agency is optional for domestic billable). Within $200 of lowest fare economy, unless:
1. Travel is billable, resource has to stay 5+ weeks at international site, and project SOW indicates resources can book business class fare.
2. Resource has taken 6+ flights in the calendar year deemed "international long haul". In order to qualify for this, flight must have at least one single leg of 9+ hours. The resource's 6th flight can qualify for business class fare on the outbound leg only. A lot of times the company eats this expense on behalf of the hardship endured by the resource.

For both scenarios 1 and 2 in International (assuming they meet the criteria), the resource can alternatively book two lowest economy fare tickets and bring a companion.

I think it is a reasonable policy, and have never understood why companies use F cabin bookings as some sort of entitlement for high level execs (do they not realize most of this comes out of their own pockets in the form of diminished company net income, resulting in decline of any stock/equity holdings?).
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:25 pm

US F500

domestic coach, transoceanic with a leg >6h business, no F. senior execs may fly the jets, even domestically, with approval.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by GatorAir
Domestic: airfare must be within $100 of least expensive economy fare available for non-billable travel. For billable, it's typically best judgement, since we have requirements to be at client sites generally by 10AM on outbound travel days and cannot leave the client site until 3PM on return days. However, lowest available economy fare within the aforementioned parameters is required, and typically in my role, we book 1-2 months in advance. Airfare over $800 requires director (1 level below SVP) approval. This applies even to the CEO, though anyone has the option of buying an upgrade out of their own pocket, whether via cash, points, SWU, etc. Sales team might have the option of purchasing FC on the outbound portion if they have same day meetings, but that is just speculation. I also speculate that other departments book more flexible fares that make upgrades at booking a feasibility. But basically, our company does not deem anyone 'entitled' to FC fare unless significant hardship can be proven, and prefer to use other methods to provide incentive to frequent travelers (including exec. team).

International: All international travel requires SVP approval, and must be booked through company travel agency (use of travel agency is optional for domestic billable). Within $200 of lowest fare economy, unless:
1. Travel is billable, resource has to stay 5+ weeks at international site, and project SOW indicates resources can book business class fare.
2. Resource has taken 6+ flights in the calendar year deemed "international long haul". In order to qualify for this, flight must have at least one single leg of 9+ hours. The resource's 6th flight can qualify for business class fare on the outbound leg only. A lot of times the company eats this expense on behalf of the hardship endured by the resource.

For both scenarios 1 and 2 in International (assuming they meet the criteria), the resource can alternatively book two lowest economy fare tickets and bring a companion.

I think it is a reasonable policy, and have never understood why companies use F cabin bookings as some sort of entitlement for high level execs (do they not realize most of this comes out of their own pockets in the form of diminished company net income, resulting in decline of any stock/equity holdings?).
True but the execs share of the stock decline is less than the benefit they individually receive when flying F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.