Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Corporate Flight Policies for Employees Booking Business/First Class?

Corporate Flight Policies for Employees Booking Business/First Class?

Old Jun 25, 13, 10:19 pm

Programs: Delta PM Hilton Diamond Bonvoy Ti/LTP Hertz PC
U.S. based employee of a reasonably well known partnership. Coach domestic. International other than Mexico and Canada is cheapest lie-flat class (typically biz these days). International 8+ hours in the air is 3-class F if available. Never feel bad about the price for paid biz. It's disclosed to the client, and given the demands they put on us once we land I've never heard one complain. That said, personally, I wouldn't book 3-class F when entitled to, if I have a lie-flat biz seat as an option. No problem trying to SWU up to F after booking J.

Within these guidelines, frequent travelers are given broad leeway on carriers/routings/schedules, so as long as the price difference isn't something you'd be ashamed to admit, you can book the flights you want without any questions.
Old Jun 26, 13, 1:47 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Who are these clients who happily shell out for F?
It would put me at a competitive disadvantage if I insisted on it. If J fits within our cost structure, then fine, but there's no automatic entitlement.
Old Jun 26, 13, 2:20 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by mandolino View Post
Who are these clients who happily shell out for F?
It would put me at a competitive disadvantage if I insisted on it. If J fits within our cost structure, then fine, but there's no automatic entitlement.
Depends. If one is working on a project with the overall cost of $3M how much would the $2k price difference of the ticket costs affect the situation?
Old Jun 26, 13, 3:09 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe, and Carbon Conscious Travel

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
UK employee of a large European-based multinational.

For the vast majority of the company, all travel is "cheapest available" - economy or LCC, with sensible flexibility (they don't make me take a 150 taxi ride at 5am to an LCC airport to save 100 on an air fare, for example, or make you travel at silly hours for the sake of it). Premium economy is only permissible if it's the cheapest option (which is sometimes is on long-haul).

CxO and one level below can travel business on longer flights, if they have a business need to. Very frequent long-haul travellers can travel in a higher cabin on a case-by-case basis.

This is now standard for my country/sector (TBH, for most sectors I know outside of financial services).
Old Jun 26, 13, 3:30 am

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy LT Gold, WoH Disco, Avis Pref+, Hertz PC, National EE
depends on grade level

Originally Posted by badgersfly View Post
I am interested to hear what policies employers have in place for business class (or first) class travel.
At my place all employees are allowed to book C for international trips with one segment >13 hours. As you move up grade levels the minimum segment length decreases. At my level I'm allowed C at >4 hours.

A few grades above me people are allowed to book F. Above that I suppose they get access to the corporate jets.

As far as cost, I have a travel budget I work hard to stay within. The most I've ever paid is $5,800 for a last-minute trip. Usually I have enough time to find upgradable or just plain cheap C itineraries, so that I've rarely paid more than around $2,000.
Old Jun 26, 13, 3:47 am

My last real job (many, many years ago) was with a subsidiary of a major NY bank and they sprung for J in TCONs, even for the Morlocks. Top 2 or 3 tier execs traveled in F, or so I heard. But as I said, this was many years ago.

Since being on my own travel expenses (air, hotel, per-diem, etc.) are negotiated on a client-by-client basis. There generally hasn't been a problem traveling TPAC/TATL in F; I don't fly back and forth that often and it's generally cheaper for them to pay me to fly there in F than it is for them to send a group out to me.

OTOH, I know someone who is an independent contractor for a software training company. He's excellent at his job and they send him all over the world: Europe, India, Asia, etc. but they want him to fly as cheaply as possible. Y, preferably, but will OK Y+ if he can find a cheap enough fare. He's OK with that.
Old Jun 26, 13, 4:07 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by megalab View Post
just plain cheap C itineraries, so that I've rarely paid more than around $2,000.
I'd be delighted to hear how I can book SIN-SFO or SIN-GRU roundtrip on C for less than $2000...
Old Jun 26, 13, 6:04 am

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy LT Gold, WoH Disco, Avis Pref+, Hertz PC, National EE
Averaged.

Originally Posted by invisible View Post
Originally Posted by megalab View Post
just plain cheap C itineraries, so that I've rarely paid more than around $2,000.
I'd be delighted to hear how I can book SIN-SFO or SIN-GRU roundtrip on C for less than $2000...

I apologize that didn't make it clear enough that I include upgraded itineraries in that average. I'm leaving today for SIN on an itinerary that cost $1,940 for Y with confirmed C upgrades on 5/6 legs, with the one leg wait-listed.

Whether I buy C or not depends on my needs vs. my budget. Out of the 20 itineraries I've flown for this job that were C-eligible I've paid for C seven times. Four were around $2k, but all were to/from Europe/Africa/Latin America.

I've had three itineraries with no upgrades. I've had three others with one leg upgraded but not the other. The rest were upgrades both ways. I've paid anywhere from $800-2,700 for those trips.
Old Jun 26, 13, 8:23 am

Programs: UA silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
For internal:
Transcontinental flights over 6 hours, you may REQUEST business class on preferred carriers. Requires approval from some higher ups. On non-preferred carriers, where comparable services (probably J at similar fare) are available on a preferred carrier, travel must be booked in coach or economy class, regardless of flight length.

For client travel:
Transcontinental flights of 6+ hours may be booked in business class. We negotiate this provision into our contracts.
Old Jun 26, 13, 11:44 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Business class on +4 hours. No detouring via somewhere else to lengthen the time in the air just to get business class. No F ever unless it's one of those strange quirks where F is cheaper than J. Travel budgets set at business unit level so they monitor and manage spend from there, i.e. individual business units can set stricter guidelines if they so desire.
Old Jun 26, 13, 11:59 am

Programs: Mostly a free agent nowadays: UA,AA, LH, DL; Starriott (er, Bonvoy); Hilton; Amex Plat
International alliances division of large U.S.-based trade association:

All domestic travel regardless of length must be purchased in economy.

TPAC or TATL is J for senior management (Senior VP and above), economy or E+ for everyone else. You can use SWUs, miles, or cash to upgrade, but it's out of your own pocket.
Old Jun 26, 13, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
small-ish biopharma employer. Cheapest Y for US domestic, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean (not that we go there...), J for longer international. Need to stick with *A unless a better logical fare (which takes time of travel, connections etc. into account) can be found. Must be booked through corporate travel agent.
Old Jun 26, 13, 12:52 pm
mp2

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Marriot Gold
Domestic US flights are economy. International flight segments over 8 hrs can be purchased in premium economy. My business trips are from the West Coast to India, and its 20+ hrs in Y or Y+
Old Jun 26, 13, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, AA Gold, DL Silver
Consulting firm with approximately 250 employees.

If the flight is overwater (or connecting to an overwater flight), it's in business (domestic first). Otherwise economy. There are no dollar restrictions, as often our tickets are booked within days of departure at the client's request. Approximately 90% of our work is international, and about 85% is outside of North America.

Some huge dollars spent to get our people where they need to go from DFW.
Old Jun 26, 13, 1:05 pm

Programs: A bunch of pretty little colored plastic cards.
At my company it's:

Coach: All domestic (U.S.), including Caribbean, Canada, and Mexico
Business: All other international destinations, Hawaii and Alaska

We do have to use preferred vendors via our corporate travel system.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: