Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Corporate Flight Policies for Employees Booking Business/First Class?

Corporate Flight Policies for Employees Booking Business/First Class?

Old Jun 19, 16, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Tchiowa View Post
Understood. But in my experience FT members are far more likely to be in the "pay for J" group than the basic population. So if 10% of pax buy J then 20% of FT buy J.
Ah, I see. And that's where our opinions differ. And possibly influenced by the boards we do or don't frequent.

As I'm based in the US and mostly spend time in the US legacy airline areas, I'm used to reading thread after thread of people kvetching about free upgrades on 90 min domestic flights.

I tend to agree that a larger proportion of FTers fly J/F than in the general population, but it seems that a big chunk of that is from people leveraging elite status or miles/points to secure upgrades on work trips or book personal trips in premium cabins, vs. people enabled by a work policy to buy J outright on business trips.

Fully acknowledge and understand that others will have different perspectives based on your experiences.
Old Jul 20, 16, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 1K,AA Plat, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Large IT company.

VP's and above can get J.
Everyone else, Y, everywhere, +/- $100 of the Lowest Proposed Fare.

I thought tech companies were supposed to have it better then everyone else?
Old Jul 21, 16, 1:21 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by BThumme View Post
Large IT company.

VP's and above can get J.
Everyone else, Y, everywhere, +/- $100 of the Lowest Proposed Fare.

I thought tech companies were supposed to have it better then everyone else?
Tech company here. Y for everyone, everywhere, except the C-suite.
Old Aug 2, 16, 6:44 am

Programs: A3 *G
My own experience ( technology companies in Ireland - small indigenous and european multinationals ) is that policies have changed in technology companies over the last 10/15 years - from C over x hours to all Y except c suite.

I presumed that the US headquartered technology companies continued to have policies of C over x hours ( my only data points were the full C cabins during trips to the US and India ) ; is this position changing ? are any technology companies continuing with C travel for all staff in certain scenarios ?

Thanks!
Old Aug 2, 16, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; HH Diam,Hz PC,
Our rule is flights > 6 hours we can travel in Business Class - all employees.
Old Aug 2, 16, 10:40 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
i'm my own dog+pony show with 2 others i occasionally have on, we would travel once, maybe twice to a site in a 3 month project and we have pretty long headway between tender and starting the work (12-16 months).we are based in 3 different continents and our clients are everywhere in the world, so we do a lot of long haul travel. we work with capital intensive industries so our fees are not their central concern by any means.

therefore we ask for per diems that are equiv to a cheap business class or premium economy fare. our competition would ask for and get j. overall our per diems are lower than what my competition would want, but we're unique in that we always ask for a flat per diem. we strictly fly y and always air bnb. the per diems are therefore always more than the cost of the flight and flight so we pocket the difference. often that difference is equivalent to a few days work.

yeah we like staying in fancy hotels and flying c but we also like money and want to retire sooner than later. so...yeah. we all have a policy of not working on the plane, maybe once or twice when i really screwed up i did and kinda wish i had a j seat, but overall we're happy.

one contract i just won requires i go thru their travel arranger and it entitles me to j on sq, so i'll just have to suck that up.
Old Aug 2, 16, 9:26 pm

Big 4 accounting firm.

Domestic - Y
International - C
Old Oct 12, 16, 8:25 pm

Programs: QF Lifetime Gold, Air NZ Gold, SPG Platinum
Very interesting to read this thread and the diversity contained within. I work for a "Top Tech Company" in Silicon Valley that only flies Economy..irrespective of distance. Everything is about the bottom line so they don't justify anything besides Economy (I know SVP's and even C-suite that have gone Economy to Europe etc!)

I'm blown away by some of the comments here staying with 'conviction' that most companies are Y class over certain hours..as far as we're told..those days are long gone..I'm extremely jealous of those who have a guaranteed J class (or even F) based on distance
Old Oct 12, 16, 8:27 pm

Programs: QF Lifetime Gold, Air NZ Gold, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by vantheman View Post
My own experience ( technology companies in Ireland - small indigenous and european multinationals ) is that policies have changed in technology companies over the last 10/15 years - from C over x hours to all Y except c suite.

I presumed that the US headquartered technology companies continued to have policies of C over x hours ( my only data points were the full C cabins during trips to the US and India ) ; is this position changing ? are any technology companies continuing with C travel for all staff in certain scenarios ?

Thanks!
Hah..I just posted something with our company..very similar. We're a "Big" tech firm in The Valley and its "all economy" no matter what..I even know C suite that travel Economy to Europe a lot of the time..bottom line is king.
Old Oct 12, 16, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by CurbedEnthusiasm View Post
Big 4 accounting firm.

Domestic - Y
International - C
Large National Firm Here (We're between #5 and #10 on the list of firms by revenue)

Domestic - Y (unless F or J is cheaper)
Short-haul International - Y or Y+
Long-haul International - Y or J; depending on client
Old Oct 12, 16, 10:24 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
Old Job - mid-tier consulting firm: Policy said J over 5 hours but at least within my unit it wasn't followed (though it's possible the higher levels followed it and I wasn't aware - we all flew in every week from different places). All flights were billed to the client so the limiting factor was the project budget and the policy of the specific partner / MD on the project. In my case, it was Y only, even for weekly IAD - LAX flights.

Current job - Fortune 50 tech company. Y for everyone on flights of any length - won't even pay for E+/C+/MCE for TPACs. I'm sure some executives, if valuable enough, have negotiated J given the amount they travel. Senior Executives / C-Suite have a fleet of corporate jets they use
Old Oct 13, 16, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Small financial services/law firm with no travel policy because there are no regular travelling employees, only those going to conferences and the like so it's just a case of be somewhat sensible.

I work in NYC and travel to the company's HQ in central VA every couple of months. I can connect and fly F for the same price as the Y only non-stop. The company were happy for me to do the non-stop so I connect and fly F without quibbles. Far more lucrative for someone like myself who credits to BA Executive Club (where you earn 12x more points towards status for F compared to discount Y) and err, prefers flying F.
Old Oct 13, 16, 8:00 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
OK, I think one important distinction here needs to be made - if travel is client facing and especially - if it is client billed.

In our Travel Policy and Concur system there is special designation for these - CF (Client Facing/billed) and NFC respectively. Client billed flights have much more flexibility to the point that one can decide which flight to book and which class.

NCF cases are most restricted - the travel is not related to client meetings and/or revenue - cheapest Y for everybody except board members - they can book J if flight is more than 4 hours.
Old Oct 14, 16, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by frankdrebin View Post
Very interesting to read this thread and the diversity contained within. I work for a "Top Tech Company" in Silicon Valley that only flies Economy..irrespective of distance. Everything is about the bottom line so they don't justify anything besides Economy (I know SVP's and even C-suite that have gone Economy to Europe etc!)

I'm blown away by some of the comments here staying with 'conviction' that most companies are Y class over certain hours..as far as we're told..those days are long gone..I'm extremely jealous of those who have a guaranteed J class (or even F) based on distance
I retired a couple of years ago from a big company. All international travel was business class. I still have friends travelling for the same company and it's still business class. Not sure those days are long gone. Some El Cheapo companies are showing that they don't respect their employees.

However these days the fact that you have a reasonably paying job is more important than travel benefits.
Old Oct 14, 16, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by invisible View Post
OK, I think one important distinction here needs to be made - if travel is client facing and especially - if it is client billed.

In our Travel Policy and Concur system there is special designation for these - CF (Client Facing/billed) and NFC respectively. Client billed flights have much more flexibility to the point that one can decide which flight to book and which class.

NCF cases are most restricted - the travel is not related to client meetings and/or revenue - cheapest Y for everybody except board members - they can book J if flight is more than 4 hours.
This.

At my company, travel policy for internal purposes has a few rules, but for the most part is just a "do what makes sense" guidebook. Travel billed to a client must follow their policies precisely, no matter what they are.

That said, to me the sign of a good company is one that is also willing to go to bat for its employees. I had one client that demanded I fly US-India in Y, and for only a 4-day stay. Client wouldn't budge, so my company picked up the difference to send me in PE. J was understandably out of the question (IIRC the cheapest fares at time of booking were: Y $3k, PE $5k, and J $14k).

Originally Posted by Tchiowa View Post
I retired a couple of years ago from a big company. All international travel was business class. I still have friends travelling for the same company and it's still business class. Not sure those days are long gone. Some El Cheapo companies are showing that they don't respect their employees.

However these days the fact that you have a reasonably paying job is more important than travel benefits.
As above, my company follows a mostly-Y policy (ultra long-hauls are rare and handled case-by-case, but always get approved for PE or J if the price is reasonable). People are free to upgrade on their own dime/miles/instruments without question, and many of us do. I don't think we're an "El Cheapo" company by any means (management spends plenty of money on various employee benefits/incentives/salary), we just handle our money and our clients' money in reasonable ways.

IMO it's borderline on how much someone can justify paying 3x-4x price for J on a daytime LON>NYC flight. And in other parts of the world, the all international rule can be downright ridiculous - SYD-AKL is just over 3 hours and would qualify for J under such a policy.

But certainly agree that I'd much rather have a job with an excellent compensation/benefits package than a cushy travel policy.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: