Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Corporate Flight Policies for Employees Booking Business/First Class?

Corporate Flight Policies for Employees Booking Business/First Class?

Old Dec 5, 14, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by shorthauldad View Post
People are all too happy to merge jet lag and travel fatigue. You might fix the latter - in some cases - by flying J/F rather than W/Y, but I've near heard of an effective way to fix the former faster by throwing money at it.
The positive effects of a well-timed nap on a flight can do so much to mitigate the effects of jet lag, especially when you need to hit the ground running.
Old Dec 5, 14, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by mandolino View Post
Employees might also be better-rested, more effective and healthy if they gave up alcohol
They might also be suicidal.

Several bottles of wine with my parents this Friday night has been the only positive point of the entire week.
Old Dec 5, 14, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by badgersfly View Post
And the policy for your employees?
Yeah, they get nothing!!!

Seriously, it's not a business where there is travel for employees so there is no policy. My husband thinks first class is not worth it and is always saying that business is just as good. However, when an airline has 3 cabins, he's happy to sit up front. I've offered him the difference in $ from First to Business, but he has never taken up that offer!
Old Dec 6, 14, 6:18 am

Programs: UA Plat, BA Gold
Having flown TATL for work many years, first in coach and more recently in business, I can say in my case that business has a significantly positive effect on both my jet lag and my travel fatigue. The former mainly because I can get some sleep, and the latter because there is less hassle with sky priority or its equivalent, lounges, and better treatment in the event of IRROPs. And it is not only because of the seat - what really got me inspired to work hard to get out of economy was that I seemed to have some unpleasant experience about half the time, such as being asked not to recline on an overnight flight, a belligerent drunk, or sitting next to someone who had not bathed in a long time. I have never had an unpleasant experience in business class.

So even though my company only pays for economy, I work the upgrade system, or look for deep discounted tickets which is easier since I can make my own flight arrangements.
Old Jun 8, 16, 3:49 pm

Location: Base: EWR/LGA/JFK. 2016: BOM, DEL, HYD, BKK, SIN, HKG, ICN, NRT, LAX, SFO, DEN, ORD, BNA, IAH, MIA, MDE, BOG, CHO, IAD, LHR, LCY, FRA, ZRH, LIN, MXP
Programs: UA 1K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Ritz Lifetime Platinum Premier, SPG Lifetime Platinum
Given the recent belt tightening of large companies in 2016, I thought I'd revive this thread to see if anything has changed.

I work for a Fortune 500 finance firm. Our corporate policy is overseas 6+ hours in C, over 14+ hours in F with VP approval, US Trancon in Y, and intra-region (within America, EMEA, APAC) 6+ hours in Y+. However, different divisions can have a more strict policy. Some divisions only do 6 hours or less in Y, 6+ hours in Y+ regardless of region unless you're a certain level.

I have a relative at a bulge bracket investment bank who had to fly 9+ hours US-EU in Y+. Not sure if this budget focus is only in finance or is affecting other industries.

Interested in hearing what others are seeing.

Last edited by rgrobins; Jun 9, 16 at 9:23 am
Old Jun 9, 16, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by rgrobins View Post
I have a relative at a bulge bracket invesmtnet bank who had to fly 9+ hours US-EU in Y+. Not sure if this budget focus is only in finance or is affecting other industries.

What's the point of working for an investment bank if you have to travel in Y??
Old Jun 9, 16, 3:23 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, GHA Black
Originally Posted by rgrobins View Post
My previous company (European MultiNational Bank) downgrade their travel policies around 2008-2009 (in response to the SubPrime crisis).

Previously anyone, even a clerk, flew J on 4+ hour flights. New policy only Exec Directors and above got to fly J; everyone else Y. I flew many 11 hour long haul red-eyes to JNB wedged firmly in the misery of a Y seat.
Old Jun 9, 16, 4:25 am

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
Originally Posted by mandolino View Post
I don't nickel and dime. I just don't pay for business class flights on demand.

We're not, as I made clear, talking about nickels and dimes, but thousands.

I've travelled more miles on longer flights than anyone I've hired and I don't buy their bluster that the work will somehow be $3000 better if I let them spend $3000 more on their flights and charge it back. They can have an extra day in a hotel if they're tired.
it all depends on what business you're in. If said consultant costs more for an extra day in the hotel than the extra fare for a J ticket, then it's logical to pay for the J ticket.

And if someone has to go from important meeting to important meeting, then an overnight J ticket could be a replacement for a hotel stay.
Old Jun 9, 16, 9:27 am

Location: Base: EWR/LGA/JFK. 2016: BOM, DEL, HYD, BKK, SIN, HKG, ICN, NRT, LAX, SFO, DEN, ORD, BNA, IAH, MIA, MDE, BOG, CHO, IAD, LHR, LCY, FRA, ZRH, LIN, MXP
Programs: UA 1K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Ritz Lifetime Platinum Premier, SPG Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Calchas View Post
What's the point of working for an investment bank if you have to travel in Y??
True. He's a front office associate and still flew Y. I was surprised.

Apparently my phone doesn't know how to autocorrect investment. Glad it makes me sound like I'm in Pre-K.
Old Jun 9, 16, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*A Gold, WN A+ CP, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Gold
I've worked at small (<300 employees WW) software companies for the past 12 years, and the travel policy has always been Y for all employees at all times. At my current employer, though, the top 3-4 executives seem to choose C/F at will (not to mention 5* hotels) and Finance ignores it.
Old Jun 9, 16, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
I have worked at two of the largest auto suppliers. Both have a similar policy. No biz on US-europe, biz on US-asia . directors/VP can fly biz on flights of transcon length
Old Jun 9, 16, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Bakpapier View Post
it all depends on what business you're in. If said consultant costs more for an extra day in the hotel than the extra fare for a J ticket, then it's logical to pay for the J ticket.

And if someone has to go from important meeting to important meeting, then an overnight J ticket could be a replacement for a hotel stay.
I don't give my clients an option. All contracts include paid Business Class fare. Flights more than 12 hours include me arriving day early and they cover the extra day in the hotel. If they don't want to pay for it they can hire someone else. No client has ever turned my down.

As Ruskin said: " The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. It can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better."

Or the shorter version: "You get what you pay for".
Old Jun 9, 16, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Large, global consulting firm. We still have 6+ hours overseas for J. No F on 3 class configurations ever. F for domestic is generally not allowed unless there are no other options and it is business critical.

We will have clients who sometimes push back on our J policy or sometimes limit the travel budget. Generally hasn't been an issue, though.
Old Jun 9, 16, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Tchiowa View Post
I don't give my clients an option. All contracts include paid Business Class fare. Flights more than 12 hours include me arriving day early and they cover the extra day in the hotel. If they don't want to pay for it they can hire someone else. No client has ever turned my down.

As Ruskin said: " The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. It can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better."

Or the shorter version: "You get what you pay for".
I can't believe I'm agreeing with you, but here I am. Self employed and I have the same policy - if you're going to fly me all the way around the globe, don't you want to get the best work out of me? You're not gonna get it if I'm exhausted and depleted.
Old Jun 9, 16, 4:54 pm
Suspended

I work for a fortune 50 company you will have heard of. Our revenues are in the 10's of billions range.

Recently, it came down that only VP and above could book biz, and only on flights more than 8 hours. Everyone else, gets coach NO MATTER HOW LONG THE FLIGHT. And we fly to Asia, South America, Europe and the Middle East frequently.

The days of biz travel for biz travelers seems to be over, unless you are getting ug's from your own miles. If you get to keep them that is.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: