Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

The bro tank and air travel

The bro tank and air travel

Old Jun 23, 13, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MR Platinum, HP Diamond
Originally Posted by chollie View Post
OTOH, there are guys (and women) who wear sleeveless wear, are tanned, fit, have tats, but don't smell, have good manners and are great seatmates.
But that does not make for nearly as fun a FT thread.
Old Jun 23, 13, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
I have to agree with those who say that I am more interested in how they act than what they are wearing. Still, I do like to people watch when boarding. They add a certain element of spice to the mix.

OK, I figured out what a bro tank is (unless it is a scuba tank, then I am lost). But what is a snapback?
Old Jun 23, 13, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by GatorAir View Post
But that does not make for nearly as fun a FT thread.
Better people-watching in the gate area and during boarding, though. Eye candy is always a welcome diversion...
Old Jun 23, 13, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Cloudship View Post
I have to agree with those who say that I am more interested in how they act than what they are wearing. Still, I do like to people watch when boarding. They add a certain element of spice to the mix.

OK, I figured out what a bro tank is (unless it is a scuba tank, then I am lost). But what is a snapback?
I like to observe regional differences in dress, keeping in mind that many pax are connecting/leaving, not local).

Snapback: adjustable baseball cap (worn forwards, sideways or backwards....)
Old Jun 23, 13, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Avis Chairman, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
If I ran an airline I would enforce the BO ban. I have taken some flights recently to Turkey and Russia where it was a real issue, not to mention standing in the TLV customs line with a group of Ukrainians last week I thought I was going to pass out from the smell.
Old Jun 24, 13, 5:30 am

Somehow, tank tops are less confusing than the footed coverall-like pink pajamas (complete with backside flap) that I recently saw one high school girl wearing.
Old Jun 24, 13, 10:27 am

Funny thread is funny.

Air travel in Y means you run into all walks of life. Wife-beaters (the shirt, not the person) are pretty low down the list of my concerns. A couple of thoughts:

- I'm far more likely to worry about the person next to me being sick, especially at holidays or when I've spent a lot of money and vacation time to fly somewhere nice.

- I'm far more likely to worry about the person next to me being obese, and invading my already tight personal space, as has happened countless times.

- I'm more likely to worry about the person near me being drunk, obnoxious, loud, etc.

- Especially on international flights in Y, hygiene can be a major issue, and I've had some truly miserable flights as a result. If the person smells, I'm having a crappy flight whether or not our arms touch.

- In general, having a 3 year old myself, I'm very tolerant of children traveling, even screamers. That said, misbehaving children coupled with parents that obviously couldn't care less are a bigger issue.

- I've found I'm just as likely to have businessmen in suits act rude / obnoxious / whatever in the pre-flight area than bros in wife beaters. Pre-flight mayhem is what it is, and I give credit or blame to the airlines and their employees mostly.

Now, all that said, would I ever wear a wife beater on a plane? Heck no, I wouldn't wear one to the grocery store, and seldom wear them to the beach or gym. Do I fly to the beach sometimes in tee shirts, shorts, and sandals? Yeah, when the destination warrants. Other than that, my flying outfit of choice is either jeans, loafers, and a long-sleeve collared shirt (often with the sleeves rolled up) for pleasure, and a suit with no tie for business.
Old Jun 24, 13, 10:30 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by rriopel432 View Post
Double like. Maybe the TSA should start checking for BO or bad breath...
Great idea. And something even teh TSA should be able to identify
Old Jun 24, 13, 11:15 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Gold; HH Silver; National Exec; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
We call 'em "wife beaters." They seem to correlate with a certain socioeconomic status, and within that status, a certain intelligence quotient range.

One might opine that their afficionados ought not be allowed beyond expectorating range of their pickemup trucks.
While I will not comment or opine on the veracity of the above statement, I must say I admire the elegance of the wording.
Old Jun 24, 13, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by chollie View Post
I like to observe regional differences in dress, keeping in mind that many pax are connecting/leaving, not local).

Snapback: adjustable baseball cap (worn forwards, sideways or backwards....)
forward is bad enough, backward or sideways makes me cringe. Especially if the wearer is over 15yo, they just look foolish.

Because of how I was raised, rightly or wrongly, I think it is odd to see grown men wearing baseball hats as fashion indoors.

Maybe it is a double standard but I don't like seeing men in tank tops or sleeveless shirts (especially when the sleeves were cut off of the shirt) outside of the pool or the beach. Unless a woman is revealing too much, I don't hold them to the same standard.
Old Jun 24, 13, 11:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, DL Diamond, AmEx Cent, Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime, Moms love me
We call 'em "wife beaters." They seem to correlate with a certain socioeconomic status, and within that status, a certain intelligence quotient range.
Wow, so because I choose to wear a tank top I'm stupid? When did we become so judgmental?
Old Jun 24, 13, 11:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, DL Diamond, AmEx Cent, Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime, Moms love me
Originally Posted by GatorAir View Post
(look at my broceps, check out my crappy tribal ink, have a gaze at this awesome tan, don't you see how tough I look?, etc.)
Wow - I have to admit I'm pretty surprised by the general intolerance and hatred I'm seeing in this thread. I never had a clue that wearing a tank top, having "crappy tribal ink" and such would finally land me in a group of travelers despised by FTers.

...and I usually do it in first or business. Flame away!
Old Jun 24, 13, 12:59 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Have you ever considered applying for employment with the State Department's Diplomatic Corps?
Old Jun 24, 13, 1:49 pm

I'm not germaphobic...but I just can't stand touching someone else's bare skin. I never wear shorts when flying. I do wear SS shirts sometimes, but definitely stay within the confines of my seat.
Old Jun 24, 13, 2:26 pm

It is the year 476 A.D. Romulus Augustus is on the throne. It is almost over.

Search this Thread