Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Places You Loved That No Longer Exist

Places You Loved That No Longer Exist

Old Jun 5, 2013, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Aegean Air, Cal Alumni (go Bears!)
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Service Merchandise stores.

(wait, I think I'm playing this game wrong...)
More like Blue Chip Stamp stores. I used to go with my mom.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
...in the same neighborhood as Rumplemeyers, I liked FAO Schwarz way back when...I was in my high single digit years. There used to be a Houlihan's (or a similar restaurant) in the plaza where the Apple store is now, and those two places made for a common layover in the early 90s.
Same zone: in the below-street-level concourse of the GM building there used to be a restaurant called the Autopub. Incredible motorific environment. I was taken there a few times as a kid in the '60s and '70s and it was absolutely magical to me. Long gone now, and if I came across it today I'd probably find it stupid and tacky, but you know how a nine-year-old looks at the world.

I also miss the TWA Saarinen terminal as an active working building - pulling up to its curb in a yellow cab and walking into that soaring space was high excitement for a young traveler back in the day..
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:44 am

I miss the NASA Johnson Space Center that I visited as a kid. I went back a couple of years ago and was shocked at the condition of the Saturn V rocket (extremely weathered, with paint peeling off), the focus on rides and games for kids instead of history and knowledge, the lack of knowledge and enthusiasm about space displayed by all but one of the employees, and the degree to which visitors are isolated from really experiencing anything (e.g., the high glassed-enclosed catwalk over the astronaut training facility). The lack of knowledge shown by the "tour guides" was the worst of it. They just led people through buildings and rooms with barely a word of explanation. With the exception of the retired gentleman stationed in Historic Mission Control, who obviously had a passion for space, they couldn't even answer questions. Kennedy Space Center was far better (except that both have bad food courts).

Edit: I'm not surprised JSC didn't get a space shuttle. Given the condition of the Saturn V rocket...

Last edited by Schmurrr; Jun 10, 2013 at 7:23 pm Reason: typo
Old Jun 7, 2013, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Coca Cola museum in Vegas. I was only there once, but it was a nice oasis on a hot summer day. It's not someplace I'd go out of my way to visit in Atlanta, but a few blocks of walking outside in Vegas makes me miss it.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 3:03 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Yankee Stadium (the 1976-2007 iteration) and Shea Stadium. I grew up going to games at those parks and I admit the newer parks that replaced them are better but I'm nostalgic.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 6:11 pm

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
The Strand disco in Rehoboth Beach
Old Aug 31, 2013, 8:38 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BearX220
Same zone: in the below-street-level concourse of the GM building there used to be a restaurant called the Autopub. Incredible motorific environment. I was taken there a few times as a kid in the '60s and '70s and it was absolutely magical to me. Long gone now, and if I came across it today I'd probably find it stupid and tacky, but you know how a nine-year-old looks at the world.

I also miss the TWA Saarinen terminal as an active working building - pulling up to its curb in a yellow cab and walking into that soaring space was high excitement for a young traveler back in the day..
Thanks for that bit of trivia, BearX220. Since I wasn't alive at that time, I can't picture it, but both that and the Houlihan's would be much more welcoming sites than the Apple store, IMO! Only pro: 24-hour internet.

Probably used the TWA terminal as well; every time I'm at the JetBlue terminal (which is rare), I take a walk over to it.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 8:44 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Hmm, I didn't love these places, but because I'm fascinated by unusual architecture, I do miss having the Sofitel in Ueno show up in photos. Good thing there's an endless array of other bizarre structures in Tokyo.

Manhattan in the early-mid 90s was a hoot. I didn't grow up with 7-11s, so seeing (and smelling) them on every other block nowadays is rather vile. Also, whatever happened to Gor-don the robot at the IBM "experience" where Sony Wonder is now? Not to mention, I don't recall seeing bikes on the sidewalks back then, but now they're worse than the taxis.

Ah well...
Old Sep 6, 2013, 8:03 am

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by x1achilles
More like Blue Chip Stamp stores. I used to go with my mom.
I remember them as green not ble stamps. You got them at the grocery store and had to paste them into books. When my mom had enough to almost fill the back of a station wagon I think you could redeem them for a blender, toaster, or vacuum cleaner. Nothing online to keep track of your points.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 8:10 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
The gate area open to non-traveling companions seeing you off or greeting you upon arrival.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by worldiswide
I remember them as green not ble stamps. You got them at the grocery store and had to paste them into books. When my mom had enough to almost fill the back of a station wagon I think you could redeem them for a blender, toaster, or vacuum cleaner. Nothing online to keep track of your points.
nothing on line at all in the mid to late 1950s! talk about making a withdrawal from the memory bank!

Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
The gate area open to non-traveling companions seeing you off or greeting you upon arrival.
+1
Old Sep 6, 2013, 10:05 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Hmm, I didn't love these places, but because I'm fascinated by unusual architecture, I do miss having the Sofitel in Ueno show up in photos. Good thing there's an endless array of other bizarre structures in Tokyo....
That was that building that looked like a really weird concrete tree, right? Totally strange!

I also miss passing the beauty shop next to the N'Ex tracks somewhere between Chiba and Tokyo. The owner was clearly a huge King Arthur/Knights of the Round Table fan so named the shop after a place in the novel and put up a big sign that spelled out in huge letters, "CAMEROT."
Old Sep 6, 2013, 10:53 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, Qatar Airways Privilege, Clan LoganAir
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Syria
+1
Old Sep 6, 2013, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by worldiswide
There were actually both (at least in S. California). S&H Green stamps and Blue Chip stamps. I remember there being two denominations for the Blue Chip, and instead of filling up the entire page with lower denomination stamps, you could paste 5 or 6 of the higher denomination, and would count the same.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 12:04 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
Man, I sure don't miss this. Bad enough trying to find gate seating at airports like ORD without the bad ol' days when you had to sit amongst teddy bears, balloons and giant loud families.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.