FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   What is your guilty pleasure when Flying/Traveling? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1469940-what-your-guilty-pleasure-when-flying-traveling.html)

BuildingMyBento Jun 12, 2013 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by maortega15 (Post 20808156)
Back and forth nonstop at the buffet line in the lounges. I rarely go to buffets, so I take advantage at the airport. :D

Oh no. At CAN, before my flight to LAX, I randomly passed by a Cantonese buffet. Awful, awful idea, before any flight. But as stuffing myself used to be synonymous with BuildingMyBento, I dove right into a chafing tray of stewed eggplant.

Must've eaten about three kilos of the darn thing because I didn't eat ANYTHING on the plane. At least I was seated in the emergency exit row, I guess.

sunnyjl Jun 13, 2013 2:48 pm

Starbucks chai lattes, sometimes twice or even thrice a day (too expensive to get often at home), laying in bed watching TV all night and not feeling guilty about it (since there's really nothing else to do most of the time), shopping (never have time at home and I can do it much more leisurely when out of town).

blackdawn2 Jun 13, 2013 4:48 pm

lime-flavored gin and LOTS of it :)

TravelingAcademic Jun 13, 2013 7:56 pm

I have a ridiculously specific ritual at my home airport: there is a restaurant called Cafe Patachou at IND and I must have one bowl of tomato and artichoke soup, two pieces of sourdough toast with butter, and coffee. I must do this before departing and after landing, no matter the time of day (unless I am arriving very late and they are closed). I routinely tell my car service that I will be arriving 45 minutes-1 hour later than I am actually scheduled to arrive so that I may comfortably enjoy my meal.

felipegarcia Jun 14, 2013 2:11 am

2 1L bottles of Ozarka water when I have have a layover in Houston.

sheeshka Jun 14, 2013 9:27 am

Originally Posted by groobie (Post 20861386)
I always bring gummy bears with me when I travel. I rarely ever eat them at any other time, but for some reason, it's the one snack I have to have on a plane.

Oh, yes! And I thought I was the only freak until I read your post. I like the LifeSaver brand of gummies---always grab a bag or two of the flavors at the airport. But I can eat them all too quickly and the sugar rush can turn me into a murderess!

Apieinthesky Jun 14, 2013 9:34 am

I generally eat pretty well at home, but while flying, I can't resist AA's Ben and Jerry's ice cream sundae. It's one thing to walk by it at the supermarket, but it's another to be asked "Would you like to have dessert?" and putting the sundae right in front of me.

Also, alcohol. I drink at home, but I tend to drink a little more when it's free (in F and at ICs).

ysolde Jun 14, 2013 9:59 am

I rarely drink at home. But a small after dinner drink in the sky, especially on a TATL? That I do occasionally indulge in. Somehow, it tastes better, especially with a good chocolate.

aBroadAbroad Jun 14, 2013 10:59 am

Originally Posted by sheeshka (Post 20922618)
Oh, yes! And I thought I was the only freak until I read your post. I like the LifeSaver brand of gummies---always grab a bag or two of the flavors at the airport. But I can eat them all too quickly and the sugar rush can turn me into a murderess!

:D I find it hilarious that after four years of FT membership, it was a discussion of GUMMIES that drove you to finally post something. Adorable!

amcam Jun 14, 2013 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by sheeshka (Post 20922618)

Lifesaver gummies are a staple for me anytime I'm flying, usually immediately following a meal of McNuggets.

mgarrett96 Jun 14, 2013 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by BThumme (Post 20806372)
For some reason, every time I fly, I HAVE to get an Auntie Ann's pretzel. It's just one of those things you smell from half a terminal away and is (most of the time) worth every bite.

So I ask, if you have a guilty pleasure when flying/traveling, what is it?

It's those damn pretzels. No trip is complete without one! Same here.

TOMFORD Jun 15, 2013 6:17 am

If there's a McDonalds at the airport, which most of the airports I have been to have it, I usually get a Filet-o-Fish or Big Mac, and then immediately regret it as soon as I'm done eating.

BOShappyflyer Jun 17, 2013 5:25 pm

What is your guilty pleasure when Flying/Traveling?

I almost go for mcdonald. (Heck, I went to McDonald twice in the past two week...and that's not at an airport) If I am hungry or think i will be hungry (in coach),I always go for a light happy meal. If I'm full, I go for a simple ice cream cone (filling and yummy).

I once got to the airport too late to indulge (thanks to long TSA lines) and was hungry on board. Ended up buying some Caesar salad on board. Best thing ever - surprisingly good and can parallel that of McDonald's. Ever since, I always check out the food for sale onboard for anything good. I don't usually go for chips or cookies or sandwiches.

Can't say it's a guilty pleasure. It's my little pleasure. Probably not the healthiest thing to eat but I work out (or tend to buy food there after a tiring exercise session). :)

quick_dry Jun 17, 2013 6:35 pm

Krispy Kreme 'milkshake and 2 glazed donuts' if I'm at SYD domestic late in the day.

Boost Juice smoothie at whichever airport if we're flying out to a game, its almost become a tradition for the team.

ILuvParis Jun 17, 2013 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by quick_dry (Post 20940713)
Krispy Kreme 'milkshake and 2 glazed donuts' if I'm at SYD domestic late in the day.

I can understand the guilt. :D