Reload this Page >

Requirement for blank passport pages?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Requirement for blank passport pages?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2013, 8:43 am

I want to visit Brazil, Argentina, and Peru, but have only 2 blank pages left (as well as space for an estimated 8 stamps throughout the other pages). Is this going to cause a problem? As a Canadian citizen, I know I need a blank page for a Brazil visa. Are they still using full page stickers for the Argentina reciprocity fee since it is now paid online? I will be getting the single entry one.

Last edited by travel_geek; Jun 10, 2013 at 8:49 am
Old Jun 10, 2013, 9:04 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Passport and visa issues - some countries do require one or two blank passport pages on arrival; others require the passport to be valid for up to six months after last day of legal entry with a visa (this could be a total of a year after entry in some cases).

Some countries add visa pages - others - many - do not add pages and one is required to acquire a new passport.

Before you go use TIMATIC to check your trip. I use oneworld's version because the fonts are more legible. Link.

FlyerTalk, by the nature of its purpose, is a good place to get suggestions and input - but not such a good place to find actual, reliable visa and passport information on occasion. TIMATIC is an IATA program used by the airlines (when they deny or approve your travel plans at the check-in counter).
Old Jun 10, 2013, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
You should probably get the 5-year reciprocity fee if there's any chance you'll be back in the next 5 years.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:49 pm

I have a U.S. passport expired in 2022 but there are only 7 blank pages left.

I plan to visit the following countries in September and October 2018.
1. Flying from the U.S. to Bucharest, Romania and transit in London. (1 Stamp)
2. A day trip by car from Suceava, Romania to Ukraine and back to Suceava, Romania. (4 Stamps)
3. Flying from Bucharest, Romania to Sofia, Bulgaria. (2 Stamps)
4. Flying from Sofia, Bulgaria to Istanbul, Turkey (I got an E-visa on the internet.) (2 Stamps)
5. Flying from Istanbul, Turkey to Dubrovnik, Croatia. (2 Stamps)
6. A day trip by car from Dubrovnik, Croatia to Mostar, Bosnia and back to Dubrovnik, Croatia. (4 Stamps)
7. Driving from Zagreb, Croatia to Slovenia and back to Zagreb. (4 Stamps)
8. Flying from Zagreb, Croatia to Amsterdam, Netherlands and spending a night at AMS. (2 Stamps)
9. Flying from AMS to the U.S. (1 Stamp)

Two blank pages are required for entry and exit from Netherlands.

I can skip # 6. If I do that, do I have enough blank pages for the entry and exit stamps?
Should I renew my passport? I am leaving to Bucharest next Monday and I just found out about the passport stamps. If I have to renew my passport, I have to drive 3 hours one way.

Thanks.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:24 pm

I wish State would fix their website. Two blank pages are NOT required for the Netherlands, at least not for visa-exempt travellers (e.g. American tourists). All you need is room for the standard quarter-page Schengen stamps, and not necessarily on the same page.

Are your other pages completely full? If not, some of the stamps can go in the blank space there as well. The Turkish entry/exit stamps are tiny and they tend to stamp them almost on top of each other, taking only a quarter-page total.

Someone who's spent more time than me in Southeastern Europe will hopefully chime in about the land crossings and their stamp-happiness or lack thereof.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Turkish stamps have been rectangular for over a year now, however you are correct that they will stamp them anywhere and everywhere and do not require any special blank space.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by hfly
The Turkish stamps have been rectangular for over a year now, however you are correct that they will stamp them anywhere and everywhere and do not require any special blank space.
I have circular ones from October 2017... are the new ones a similar size, though?
Old Sep 1, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA*S, AA Plat, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by der_saeufer
I have circular ones from October 2017... are the new ones a similar size, though?
The new ones are similar to schengen-size, rectangular.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by nux
If you do not require a visa before arrival to South Africa, you only require one blank page.
http://www.southafrica.info/travel/documents/visas.htm

A lot of countries that require an entry visa before arrival require 2 blank pages (and sometimes consecutive), as the visa takes up 1 page and entry/exit stamps part of 1 page.
sorry to resurrect an old thread- i’m booked to indirectly transit South Africa in July 2019. My passport has 1 blank page (and several partially blank pages). Tmatic and the SA immigration website both seem to be saying just one page is fine but DFAT and UK gov are saying 2 pages?

i’d rather not have to renew but would even more rather not be declined boarding

i’ll be flying into SA from Australia, to the uk, and then back again

UK passport, Australian permanent resident, Qantas and British Airways

Anyone know how difficult any of these parties are about this? And what’s the chances of SA immigration putting their stamp on my 1 blank page thus leaving me with no blank pages for the return?
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:05 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by nancypants

sorry to resurrect an old thread- i’m booked to indirectly transit South Africa in July 2019. My passport has 1 blank page (and several partially blank pages). Tmatic and the SA immigration website both seem to be saying just one page is fine but DFAT and UK gov are saying 2 pages?

i’d rather not have to renew but would even more rather not be declined boarding

i’ll be flying into SA from Australia, to the uk, and then back again

UK passport, Australian permanent resident, Qantas and British Airways

Anyone know how difficult any of these parties are about this? And what’s the chances of SA immigration putting their stamp on my 1 blank page thus leaving me with no blank pages for the return?
I can only help with the last bit - SA immigration in my experience (>30 entries in last 4 years) are generally very good at putting their stamps (1/4 page in, small round out) into any spare corners and spaces, even without asking.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PokerHammy
But that wouldn't be cost effective as it's less than two years before my passport expires.
Originally Posted by mandolino
UKBA officials generally take care to use up spare space on a busy page with their stamps, rather than defile a blank page.
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
I can only help with the last bit - SA immigration in my experience (>30 entries in last 4 years) are generally very good at putting their stamps (1/4 page in, small round out) into any spare corners and spaces, even without asking.
I never actually ran out of space, but when my old passport got fuller and fuller many agents would stamp very creatively without being asked. They'd squeeze that stamp into any blank space they could fine, even when it wasn't quite entough. The 2 page think is, I think, mainly an issue for countries that require a physical visa, they tend to take up an entire page.

I had one evil agent who stamp right dead middle on a completely blank page, ruining it for any futures stamps.

I was also counseled to just get a new passport when I reached the point of needing extra pages. I was a couple years out and they said "just go ahead and get a new one now."
Old Nov 7, 2018, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
When I ran out of regular pages, officials would start to stamp on all the Visa pages. Sometimes they would ask for permission, sometimes not.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

milepig, since about 2 years ago they do not do extra pages anymore. Still living off my last extensions (5 and 6).No one does in fact. As far as the advice, assuming your info pages and chip are/were in good order, that is just them having a power trip.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by hfly
milepig, since about 2 years ago they do not do extra pages anymore. Still living off my last extensions (5 and 6).No one does in fact. As far as the advice, assuming your info pages and chip are/were in good order, that is just them having a power trip.
Well, some people do.
Wet page, peel. Done! Extra pages!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.