Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Swap Request Horror Stories

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2014, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
The reason why I like to board early and why I subscribe to the "he who holds territory, keeps it..."

I board early and get settled into my seat (I believe it was 7D on an AA S80). A few minutes later another gentleman comes up and says I'm in his seat (not being a jerk about it, thankfully). I say this is my seat, and I pull out my BP to compare to his BP... duplicate seating assignments.

I ring the call button, we tell the FA what happened (making sure she knows I'm the on currently sitting in the seat), and the FA gets the GA's attention. The other pax and I make small talk while waiting, and of course I haven't relinquished my seat yet.

GA comes on board, apologizes to the other pax, and hands him his new BP... for a middle seat near the rear of the plane, since the flight was almost full.

To this day, I always like to board early in the process because of this incident. Too bad too... nice guy, everyone was civil. But all's fair in love, war, and seating assignments
k_jupiter likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by hawkxp
any attempt at humor is hard
Feel lucky. All too often an attempt at humor gets you flamed for a few days.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 11:02 pm

I I was flying transatlantic (I think IST-ORD) when I was a bit younger backpacking around. I was seated one row back from the bulkhead. A (soccer) mom and dad and infant were in the bulkhead in front of me. The mom tried to put her bag in my foot space so that she could access it easily. She tried to tell me some sob story about how her baby needed food etc etc and if she can't put her bag there, how will her baby eat?? I can't recall if I had my bag there or if I even had a bag but, anyhow an argument ensued, and I ended up being less polite and firmly stating that her child's formula was not my problem and that I paid for that leg space and it was mine-- not hers. The flight attended came by and squeezed her formula bag in the overhead above.

Here's the icing on the cake. On approach, she goes to restroom and her husband who was silent (and assumingly embarrassed) asked if I could say something when we landed or else he'd never hear the end of it. I can't recall exactly what he said but it was very sincere and contrite. I thought about it and said maybe. At the end of the flight as we deplaned, I gave her a brief apology to which she started lecturing me about how I need to be considerate blah blah. I was infuriated but bit my tongue. The sense of entitlement because of having a child just baffles me sometimes. To this day that moment chews me up.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 11:24 pm

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Look at it this way. Things could be worse. You could be her husband.
Cotumely likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 7:26 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
I was on a flight on the weekend and not too long after I boarded I heard a woman seat poacher speaking to someone in Rouge Plus (quasi Premium Economy you can switch to for free if available on check in) about how she had to sit beside her 11 year old daughter and offered her seat in row 42 on an Air Canada Rouge flight from Dublin to Toronto (sardine can!)! I hope he held his ground!
Old Jul 8, 2014, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by MCIdave
I I was flying transatlantic (I think IST-ORD) when I was a bit younger backpacking around. I was seated one row back from the bulkhead. A (soccer) mom and dad and infant were in the bulkhead in front of me. The mom tried to put her bag in my foot space so that she could access it easily. She tried to tell me some sob story about how her baby needed food etc etc and if she can't put her bag there, how will her baby eat?? I can't recall if I had my bag there or if I even had a bag but, anyhow an argument ensued, and I ended up being less polite and firmly stating that her child's formula was not my problem and that I paid for that leg space and it was mine-- not hers. The flight attended came by and squeezed her formula bag in the overhead above.

Here's the icing on the cake. On approach, she goes to restroom and her husband who was silent (and assumingly embarrassed) asked if I could say something when we landed or else he'd never hear the end of it. I can't recall exactly what he said but it was very sincere and contrite. I thought about it and said maybe. At the end of the flight as we deplaned, I gave her a brief apology to which she started lecturing me about how I need to be considerate blah blah. I was infuriated but bit my tongue. The sense of entitlement because of having a child just baffles me sometimes. To this day that moment chews me up.
I had a similar experience.

Two brothers board the plane and are seated separately with one
of them beside me.

Then the brother takes his helmet, places it under the seat in front
of me... then turns to look at me and says "sorry".

I did not say anything immediately; however, the situation worked
out given both of them started complaining to the FA about wanting
to sit together. The brother beside me was moved and replaced with
someone more respectful of space.

If I am not going to be using the space then it is fine for another to
occupy it; however, this was a 3.5 hour flight on a CRJ where I would
need that space to stretch out a bit.

I dislike having to confront fellow passengers about an issue and
generally will avoid it given the situation is usually temporary, but
in this case had the situation not resolved itself after a few minutes
I would have claimed my space.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Paul56
I had a similar experience.

Two brothers board the plane and are seated separately with one
of them beside me.

I did not say anything immediately; however, the situation worked
out given both of them started complaining to the FA about wanting
to sit together. The brother beside me was moved and replaced with
someone more respectful of space.

If I am not going to be using the space then it is fine for another to
occupy it; however, this was a 3.5 hour flight on a CRJ where I would
need that space to stretch out a bit.

I dislike having to confront fellow passengers about an issue and
generally will avoid it given the situation is usually temporary, but
in this case had the situation not resolved itself after a few minutes
I would have claimed my space.
Nope...his helmet would have been moved instantly...thats my paid space...he can hold it in his lap as far as I'm concerned but it isn't going to impinge on me or my paid space.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Genetk44
Nope...his helmet would have been moved instantly...thats my paid space...he can hold it in his lap as far as I'm concerned but it isn't going to impinge on me or my paid space.
Right there with you. That is unbelievably rude. There were many times when I "flew to ride" and would travel in my gear. My helmet would be my only carry on and it went under the seat in front of me.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
my response would have been: "by placing your helmet in my space, I see that you're interested in renting that space from me. My price is $ 300 per hour, so you can either pay me $ 900 cash up front, or move it now. Which will it be ? "
Old Jul 8, 2014, 1:03 pm

Re: that helmut.

I would probably say, as I was pulling it out to hand back to him, that I'd be worried I'd kick it or step on it and damage it in some way...so here you go.....

Or after take off, I'd scoot it out a little and use it as a foot stool, while grinning and saying "sorry." (kidding)
elsaglass likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold

Did he have the space in front of him available?

If so: *ding* Miss? I believe someone from the previous flight left something behind....
Old Jul 8, 2014, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
You were wrong and you were lucky you weren't bounced off the plane. You are obligated to obey all legal instructions from a Flight Attendant. You be removed from the plane for refusing their instructions. You can also be removed if the pilot has to come back to deal with it.

Yeah, the lady was rude. But you were worse. I think your post belongs in the DYKWIA thread.
Why do people without any grasp of anything feel a need to comment and state their opinions as fact?
Old Jul 8, 2014, 11:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by theddo
Why do people without any grasp of anything feel a need to comment and state their opinions as fact?
...Allow me to be the first to welcome you to The Internet! You may find some of the customs here strange, but don't worry. Just complain or blame a national politician and you'll do fine. Glad you could be here!

Back on topic: Not really a swap horror story, but I was flying STL-LAX on an MD80 and the person in front asks if they could swap to sit next to their friend next to me. Aisle in F to Aisle in F on an MD80, so fair swap. No problem! As I agree I make a joke about "If this plane crashes and I'm the only one that dies in the new seat then I'm coming back to haunt [them]." A laugh and we sit down.

Then the engine throws a fan blade on take off. Surprisingly loud even up front. (Must have been rather concerning down the back end right next to it as it disintegrated!)

Plane circles for a few minutes and lands. Get up out of the seat and turn around to get my carry on and oh, the look of accusation... "Allow me to be the first to apologize for the delay, and I promise not to make that joke again."
Old Jul 9, 2014, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by China Clipper
Look at it this way. Things could be worse. You could be her husband.
Well-needed chuckle! ^
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:45 pm

Programs: BA/AA/UA
First row in an AA MD-80. I've been up for nearly 30 hours thanks to IRROPS. Had to run through two terminals to make a connection. Before I even sit down in my aisle seat, the lady in the window seat next to me starts on: would I please switch with her husband in the back row. I say 'no way' and she replies 'the seats are the same' so I say 'why not ask the person next to him to switch with you then?' She's having none of that, and I start looking for my MP3 player so I won't have to listen to her throughout the flight. I can't find it, and this fact does inform what follows.

Incredibly, during this brief exchange her husband (who never so much as acknowledges me) has made his way up to the front row so she loudly says 'he says he won't move' so everyone in the cabin can tell what a jerk I am! Never mind that I'm 6'-4" and I'm paying for that seat so I can use my legs afterward. He slowly trundles back toward his seat.

But she's not done, not by a long shot. Immediately she starts in on the Flight Attendant. Isn't there some way to allow her husband to sit with her? So I mention that the seat across the aisle is empty, and I'll take it if no one shows up. (Partly just to get away from her, since I can't find my MP3 player.) It's about time for the doors to be closed anyway. FA says okay. Her husband is in my seat before I can sit down.

No 'good' deed goes unpunished dept: the seats on the other side have much less legroom. Even worse, I've rewarded this woman for her behavior which doubtless means she'll do even more of it in the future. Advice welcome....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.