Reload this Page >

Seat Swap Request Horror Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Swap Request Horror Stories

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2019, 5:49 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by typical
Ok could do with some advice on how to follow up on this... on a 4ish hour flight, in Y.

About 20 minutes in the CC comes to me and says "Sorry sir, but would you mind swapping seats? The gentleman a few seats forward would like to sit next to the lady next to you. It's still an aisle seat."

Well, I mean ok, an aisle seat for a futher-forward aisle seat, not end of the world if a couple wants to sit together. I look to my seatmate, who says:

"Actually, please don't. You're nice and quiet, but I only just met him, he bought me coffee in the airport, and I really don't want to talk to him."

Uh.

I say to the CC "well, I think it's really up to her", and she pleads with the CC to pass the message forward she's sleeping or somesuch, so not only does he not swap, he doesn't come back to see what's going on. I make it clear I'm not moving if she doesn't want me to.

All that said: WWYD now? Leave it to her to take it up with the airline? Assume the guy spun such a story to the CC that the CC thought it was natural she'd want the same thing? Send a message to the airline explaining what happened and gently suggesting this isn't how the situation should have gone down?
I'd have stayed right where I was and thought no more about it. The lady made it clear that she doesn't want to sit next to the other guy.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by WillCAD
I'd have stayed right where I was and thought no more about it. The lady made it clear that she doesn't want to sit next to the other guy.
Indeed, I did not move. But I'm still confused that the CC spoke to me before speaking to her...
Old Jul 21, 2019, 7:04 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by typical
Indeed, I did not move. But I'm still confused that the CC spoke to me before speaking to her...
Nothing confusing about that - the CC probably just assumed that the request came from a legitimate couple who had been split up by seat assignments. It probably never occurred to the CC that the request came from a guy who was hitting on a woman he had just met in the airport, without her knowledge or consent.
trooper, wrp96 and extramileage like this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by ft101
Absolutely nothing.
I'd probably give a heads up to the FA. I tend to drink a lot of water on flights and I wouldn't want to have to worry if I use the restroom my seatmate will be harassed. They can also use the info they've been given to make an informed decision about giving this person booze, which may escalate the situation.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 7:30 am

After the woman explained the situation, you should have said.. "I prefer not to move." You shouldn't make her explain her life story to the CC.
LondonElite, muji and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 10:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Castoreum
I'd probably give a heads up to the FA. I tend to drink a lot of water on flights and I wouldn't want to have to worry if I use the restroom my seatmate will be harassed. They can also use the info they've been given to make an informed decision about giving this person booze, which may escalate the situation.
Um, what?
Old Jul 21, 2019, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Um, what?
What part do you not understand or agree with?
Old Jul 21, 2019, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
What's CC?
Old Jul 21, 2019, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by zitsky
What part do you not understand or agree with?
I don't understand what drinking water and aisle access has to do with swapping for another aisle seat, nor do I follow the puritanical? logic about serving alcohol.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I don't understand what drinking water and aisle access has to do with swapping for another aisle seat, nor do I follow the puritanical? logic about serving alcohol.
He doesn't want to go to the bathroom and have the sleazy guy take his seat next to the woman.
trooper, strickerj and Castoreum like this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zitsky
After the woman explained the situation, you should have said.. "I prefer not to move." You shouldn't make her explain her life story to the CC.
She explained to both me and the CC at the same time. But yes, I was clear I wasn't going anywhere without her request.

Early departure so no booze involved. I slept most of the flight.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by enviroian
What's CC?
I think CC may stand for cabin crew? Haven't used that particular acronym myself but it's all I can think of in this case.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 3:15 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by enviroian
What's CC?
Crew Chief?
Old Jul 21, 2019, 5:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Credit card?
84fiero and Tizzette like this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cabin crew.
GUWonder likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.