FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Seat Swap Request Horror Stories (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1464730-seat-swap-request-horror-stories.html)

BadgerBoi Jun 8, 2013 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerTalkerUser101 (Post 20889431)
... I asked for the pilot, she looked at me and told me "are you disobeying my instructions?" I was at the edge at this point and replied "No I am obeying your AIRLINES, which require me to sit in MY seat." ...

Great first post, welcome to FT.

Congratulations on being quick enough to come up with that response, I'm committing it to memory in case I should need to use it. Well done for standing your ground.

JohanSlam Jun 8, 2013 6:46 pm

I just hate it when you arrive in your seat and someone has decided that they want to sit there. I just call the FA and fell them go eject them. I will not enter in to any discussion or talk. One time I delayed departure for an hour because no one would take the responsibility to remove the passanger sitting in my seat. They even brought the police. Actually, this was the master stroke, the police told the passanger that if he did not vacate my seat he would be arrested and removed from the plane. At last I had my seat.

Calchas Jun 8, 2013 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by JohanSlam (Post 20889476)
I just hate it when you arrive in your seat and someone has decided that they want to sit there. I just call the FA and fell them go eject them. I will not enter in to any discussion or talk. One time I delayed departure for an hour because no one would take the responsibility to remove the passanger sitting in my seat. They even brought the police. Actually, this was the master stroke, the police told the passanger that if he did not vacate my seat he would be arrested and removed from the plane. At last I had my seat.

And you could continue with your business of flying the plane? :D

Ocn Vw 1K Jun 8, 2013 8:41 pm

Moderator note.

An extended discussion of the meaning and use of a vulgar term and a reference to a poster's ethnicity have been deleted as off-topic. Please confine the discussion to the topic of seat-swap request horror stories. Thanks, Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.

GetSetJetSet Jun 9, 2013 3:50 am

I prefer windows and if I can't get one, and end up in the aisle, I will usually see if the person in my row is willing to trade. Oddly not a single taker in the past few instances, I thought most people liked the aisle. Oh well.

Twice in the last month, I have boarded and accidentally sat down on the wrong side of the plane, (1F instead of 1A), then realized my error when the occupant arrived and moved to my seat. I think it's just been too much flying so far this year, a bit scrambled. Still felt like an idiot, especially since the two times this happened were 2 of the last 5 flights I've been on (51 segments and counting in '13).

Flubber2012 Jun 9, 2013 8:18 am

Originally Posted by JohanSlam (Post 20889476)

1. How long was the flight? If under 3 hours, you are the [one] for holding everyone else up.
2. If you held up my flight for an hour, I would hope that you would be arrested along with the seat poacher.

BadgerBoi Jun 9, 2013 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Flubber2012 (Post 20891244)
1. How long was the flight? If under 3 hours, you are the [one] for holding everyone else up.
2. If you held up my flight for an hour, I would hope that you would be arrested along with the seat poacher.

1. :rolleyes:
2. :rolleyes:

offtothehills Jun 10, 2013 2:19 am

Originally Posted by Flubber2012 (Post 20891244)

1. It is the seat poacher holding up the flippin' flight :confused:

2. Were you the poacher?:)

crisdean Jun 10, 2013 4:06 am

A really bizarre thing. It seems that people try to sneak up on the good seats. Personally I think that all should be ladies and gentleman and stick to their assigned seats. And if someone wants to sit at the window and asks someone kindly that might be a different story.

the poster 'stood up' for himself and wouldn't have to be met with anger from the flight attendand. I'd use the feedback function and highlight that to BA.

FlyerTalkerUser101 Jun 10, 2013 2:18 pm

Deleted

PTravel Jun 10, 2013 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas (Post 20889460)
I think we have a winner: I was angry on your behalf!
Welcome to FT! :)

Seconded on both points. ^

CarolynUK Jun 10, 2013 11:53 pm

Not a horror story, rather a funny one!

On a recent BA Club Europe flight, I was one of the first to board, and had settled comfortably into my assigned seat which was 1F (CE seats are labelled A, C, D and F with B &E being blocked out)

A few minutes later, a gentleman boarded and gazed at me perplexedly as I rearranged the pillow and blanket and my kindle/ passport etc. he asked me if I was comfortable in the seat, and I said yes, it's my favourite seat on the plane, but he still made no attempt to stoe his luggage or sit down....

Then he asked what seat I was in and I told him 1F, at which point he looked over to 1A which was occupied, and finally asked if I was in my correct seat. When I assured him I was, and showed him the 1F boarding pass, he finally realised that he was actually standing by his seat which was 1D.......

He thought the seats were A, B, C, D, and was sure I'd stolen his seat, however, due to not getting his bags in the overhead quickly, he ended up having to stow them several rows back....

crisdean Jun 11, 2013 1:48 am

Originally Posted by CarolynUK (Post 20901000)
Not a horror story, rather a funny one!

On a recent BA Club Europe flight, I was one of the first to board, and had settled comfortably into my assigned seat which was 1F (CE seats are labelled A, C, D and F with B &E being blocked out)

A few minutes later, a gentleman boarded and gazed at me perplexedly as I rearranged the pillow and blanket and my kindle/ passport etc. he asked me if I was comfortable in the seat, and I said yes, it's my favourite seat on the plane, but he still made no attempt to stoe his luggage or sit down....

Then he asked what seat I was in and I told him 1F, at which point he looked over to 1A which was occupied, and finally asked if I was in my correct seat. When I assured him I was, and showed him the 1F boarding pass, he finally realised that he was actually standing by his seat which was 1D.......

He thought the seats were A, B, C, D, and was sure I'd stolen his seat, however, due to not getting his bags in the overhead quickly, he ended up having to stow them several rows back....

Perfect. Something happened to a Chinese gentleman but he just sat down and refused to stow his luggage in the overhead bin. And then dropped it onto a flight attendants foot. What an idiot. Thanks for sharing that Carolyn. Must have made your flight for sure :)

milevalue Jun 11, 2013 4:29 am

I think there should be more cash offers for seat swaps on the plane. Seriously.

jphripjah Jun 17, 2013 1:45 am

I just saw very impressive handling of a seat poacher on a US Airways flight.

Guy boarded plane toward end of boarding to find someone in his seat (29A) who didn't speak English or claimed not to speak English. He told the flight attendant, flight attendant told the gate agent, gate agent came on the plane. She was a no nonsense middle aged Northeasterner who was barking as she walked down the aisle that everyone has to be in their assigned seats.

She gets to row 29, demands boarding passes, and it turns out there is a couple sitting in 29A and 29B, but the one in 29A was a poacher who had a middle seat several rows away. She instructed the poacher to move and then insisted when he didn't move right away. Poacher moved. No guilt to the other guy about why don't you let this couple sit together, blah, blah.