Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Seat Swap Request Horror Stories

Seat Swap Request Horror Stories

Old Sep 13, 2016, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cbn42
I'm not sure why so many people on here are opposed to "poaching" but will make a trade if asked.
Asking for a swap is to poaching as barter is to theft.

Of course, I would expect them to be polite about it and move if their offer is declined, but I find this "I say no to poachers on principle" attitude on this thread to be rather ridiculous.
And therein lies the problem. As many of the stories on this thread (and my own personal experience) establish, poachers USUALLY give attitude or an argument or simply refuse to move. It's the rare poacher who says, "I'm sorry for the inconvenience," and promptly departs for their assigned seat.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 7:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's also rare that's poacher doesn't settle in ASAP and mess up the pillow and blanket, open the bottle of water, etc.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 8:06 am

Yeah, reporting this seems a bit absurd.

I'm not sure why so many people on here are opposed to "poaching" but will make a trade if asked. If someone wants your seat, it's better that they sit there and wait for you to arrive rather than standing in the aisle and blocking other passengers. If they sit in their assigned seat while waiting for you, then you may sit down and then be asked to move, which is not ideal. As long as they haven't settled into your seat by opening the blanket package and putting their stuff everywhere, I don't see the problem with sitting down and waiting. Of course, I would expect them to be polite about it and move if their offer is declined, but I find this "I say no to poachers on principle" attitude on this thread to be rather ridiculous.
It's not your seat to give away. Poaching is just bad, period.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 9:54 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
..As long as they haven't settled into your seat by opening the blanket package and putting their stuff everywhere, I don't see the problem with sitting down and waiting...
That warms up the seat which is eeek. Plus it is confusing to find someone in your seat.

There is also no need to do this: just have the companion ask if you'd be willing to switch seats.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 11:10 am

I've only had pleasant experiences with seat swaps. I make sure to thank the person who swapped but also respect their decision to keep their seat, if desired.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had a nice lady ask me last Saturday if I'd mind switching with her boyfriend so they could sit together. As I had an aisle seat, I asked which seat her boyfriend was in. Turns out he was in an aisle seat several rows up, so I switched. I just had to wait when getting off to be able to walk back to get my bag in the overhead bin.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by extramileage
Seriously?
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
Some people just love to be jerks.
It was an employee sat in their seat. You obviously didn't read the post properly.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by nmh1204
It was an employee sat in their seat. You obviously didn't read the post properly.
I read it exactly as worded. Employee asks politely, gets rejected, moves immediately without further discussion. Jerk complains about it to airline and employer. Did I miss something else?
Old Sep 13, 2016, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I read it exactly as worded. Employee asks politely, gets rejected, moves immediately without further discussion. Jerk complains about it to airline and employer. Did I miss something else?
Airline employees flying non-rev are not even supposed to ask.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 2:42 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Non-revs are forbidden from asking other passengers to change seats.

As an aside, referring to another poster on FT as a jerk is a personal attack IMHO.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 2:48 pm

Did I miss something else?
Yes. Non-rev employees are not permitted to ask.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You missed the fact that there are extremely officious people in the world. Guys that are only too glad to let Mom know exactly who tracked mud through the house.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523
You missed the fact that there are extremely officious people in the world. Guys that are only too glad to let Mom know exactly who tracked mud through the house.
he wasn't being officious, the employee was in the wrong.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nmh1204
he wasn't being officious, the employee was in the wrong.
Don't want to get into a semantic discussion but officious is commonly understood as given to thrusting oneself into the affairs of others or being prone to annoying and usually prying interference in others' affairs.
The guy got up and moved without a word and he proposed diming him out for having the temerity of sitting down.
That's officious, putting it nicely.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 3:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
No, nonrevs shouldn't be disturbing or inconveniencing revenue passengers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.