Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What was the weirdest thing you took aboard as a carry-on?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2013, 8:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Two live lobsters, from BGR(?)-ORD-SAT.

A 45 pistol. (OK, it was a military charter)
Old Apr 28, 2013, 8:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by blueman2
3 dozen donuts from my favorite shop in SFO South Bay to Atlanta. For my son at college who was jonsing for some of the food he grew up on.

Two dozen Krispy Kreme donuts from RNO-PHX-TUS. For the kids.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 8:53 pm

A Redding match grade powder thrower (for measuring/dispensing propellant powder into cartridge cases when handloading ammunition)...

Going through security they said they'd need to open the bag (no surprise).. they pulled it out and asked what it was.. I said "A powder thrower"... and a screener 2 machines away popped up, looked, and tried to tell them it was no problem (he must have been a reloader too!) but they swabbed and tested it... which I thought would set all the alarm bells ringing.. but not a peep from the machine.... must be the wrong sort of nitrates!
Old Apr 28, 2013, 8:57 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, DL Silver, Avis First, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat
sump pump

I brought home a small sump pump my dad gave me for my basement issues..
Old Apr 28, 2013, 9:14 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Gamecock
Two dozen Krispy Kreme donuts from RNO-PHX-TUS. For the kids.
Those donuts used to be wildly popular (in the past few years) in East Asia. Maybe not so much now, but every now and then I see a giant box of 'em at an airport in that part of the world.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingNone
A wooden birdcage about 18 inches high (round base) from Hong Kong. Still have it with a fake wooden bird I got in Ecuador now occupying it.
A fake bird? You're banned from Twitter!
Old Apr 28, 2013, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Not the weirdest for sure - on a CX flight 2 years ago, non-stop HKG-JFK, our local host/friend gave us a whole roast suckling piglet, packaged for traveling as carryon, as there're 6 of us coming back flying Y.

It was divided into 6 plastic containers suitable for picnic, extra napkins & wet towelette, piglet was chopped up already, minus its heads & non-edible parts, and, scallions & white (mini-burger) buns with the hoisin/oyster sauce. It greatly enhanced the supper served in the main cabin. By the time we're approching Japan airspace, the piglet was "safely" disposed of and we had nothing to declare upon arrival, as far as importing any meat or animal, etc. (cheerfully consumed onboard ....)

Last edited by Letitride3c; Apr 28, 2013 at 11:58 pm
Old Apr 28, 2013, 11:34 pm

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat

A huge gong -- 3 or probably 4 feet in diameter -- from Bali to boston. Plus wooden stand. For a friend whose daughter fancied herself a gamelan all-star.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 1:35 am

A folding camping chair. I was going to a concert in another country, had a standing ticket, was planning to queue all day to get a good spot, and didn't want to go shopping for chairs in a strange city. Security seemed amused.

I queued from around 7 am and at 5 pm they announced the concert was cancelled...
Old Apr 29, 2013, 4:32 am
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
I've got a few contenders, I think...

- ~2kg of Danish flour sealed in a ziploc bag. Security didn't even bat an eye at the ziploc bag full of white powder.
- 20 kg of fingerlings (mini potatoes)
- homemade cheesecake for my grandparents (as I was traveling in business, they put it in the galley's fridge for me!)
- 15 kg Singer sewing machine from 1912 (with a filled cast-iron arm!)
- ~18 kg of chocolate from Brussels
- ~40 cans of Mariage Freres tea (miraculously, only 3 were dented on arrival!)
- 144-piece silverware set + chest, all individually plastic-wrapped. I pulled out all the knives and put those in the check-in luggage, but security still raised a fuss about the forks.
- Salmon soup (before the liquid restrictions)
- prosthetic leg and cane that weren't for my use.

- my aunt also had to carry a medical fetal specimen for a conference, does that count? :P
Old Apr 29, 2013, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by mattking2000
- 15 kg Singer sewing machine from 1912 (with a filled cast-iron arm!)
Makes two of us, mine was much newer but was heavier...
Old Apr 29, 2013, 7:22 am

Programs: HHonors (Gold), One Pass (Peon)
A six foot long fishing pole from PHX to EWR back in the 70's. It wouldn't fit in the overhead of the Boeing 727, so the FA's put it in the cockpit for me. As the plane exited from the rear ramp at that time, I had to wait until the whole plane disembarked before they brought the fishing pole back to me.

DD
Old Apr 29, 2013, 7:34 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG & Marriott Gold, CC Silver
I accidentally smuggled illegal raw-milk Camembert cheese out of France. I bought it in the duty-free and so assumed it was legal. Got it all the way home (despite the stink, no one inspected my bag) to discover that raw-milk cheeses are not supposed to be imported into the US.

An ice cream maker. It was a Christmas gift from a friend and too large for my rollaboard, so I carried it in the Williams-Sonoma bag and box it came in. Nonetheless, I was questioned and it was swabbed extensively. Apparently it looked like a mini-reactor on the X-ray.

Empty Ball jars - my mom had saved them up over the year to return to me. Again, I was asked what they were and had to take them out of my rollaboard to prove they weren't bombs.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TACA pretty much had no rules for overhead carryon. a group brought about half a dozen live chickens and live rabbits.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 8:04 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
A Masai throwing spear. Broke down into three pieces about 2 feet long each. Internal flight within Tanzania, security didn't bat an eye.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.